Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

Jul 19, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Coughing or Sneezing Cat?
    I have a 1 year old Cat who recently had either a coughing fit or a sneezing fit.. not sure which it is. He has a throaty sound and keeps his mouth closed and you can hear the air coming out his little nose. Sometimes it goes on for a couple of minutes. I feel so helpless watching him. It's the second time in a couple of months he's done this. He will act fine before and afterwards so I'm not sure what to make of it. I've never seen anything come out either. Any suggestions?
    :confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 19, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Could be hair balls in his windpipe and this is treatable. The vet can advise what to give him so he can cough them up.
    AliMarGoo Posts: 72, Reputation: 13

Jul 19, 2007, 10:39 PM
    I agree with tickle. It could also be a cold. A cat that I had a few years ago though had the same problem, and I ended up having him put to sleep due to feline leukemia. Not sure if the coughing and sneezing were symptoms of it, but it made me wonder. Take your baby to the vet and get him well. I wish you the best!
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 20, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMIET
    I have a 1 year old Cat who recently had either a coughing fit or a sneezing fit.. not sure which it is. He has a throaty sound and keeps his mouth closed and you can hear the air coming out his little nose. Sometimes it goes on for a couple of minutes. I feel so helpless watching him. It's the second time in a couple of months he's done this. He will act fine before and afterwards so I'm not sure what to make of it. I've never seen anything come out either. Any suggestions?
    :confused:
    Have him tested for feluk and FIP,just to rule this out.Allergies are another thing to consider.There is no cure for feluk or FIP,but you can treat his symptoms till his quality of life goes to far down for him to live a comfortable life.I've had several cats that have died from feluk,it's very heartbreaking.Let us know how he's doing.:)
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:27 AM
    It sounds like an upper respiratory infection; you should take the cat to your vet ASAP these types of infections are very catchy!
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

Jul 20, 2007, 12:15 PM
    My Cat Snickers has been tested for feline leukemia and is clear of that and FIP. He doesn't do it every day either. Never have had a problem with hairballs before either.
    He's part Bengal and quite a cleaner but no "gifts" for me from hairballs.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Probably upper respitory then!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 Cats that are sneezing, coughing [ 6 Answers ]

I have 3 cats that are coughing( like they have a hairball), sneezing and 1 has some green mucus when he sneezed recently that I don't know what to do with. My One male cat has gone through it and he is getting better, no more sneezing & coughing but the other 2 are still couching and sneezing and...

Sneezing cat [ 3 Answers ]

My cat is 15 years old, is an inside cat and just started sneezing A lot day and night. He's never done this before. What is wrong?

Sneezing Cat [ 3 Answers ]

I just adopted my cat and she is about 1 1/2 years old & in the last week has started to sneeze, frequently! Can you tell me why?:confused:

Sneezing Cat... [ 2 Answers ]

My Cat is 8 years old. I took her to the Vet about a week ago because she was weezing when sleeping... after an x-ray they seem to think she might have asma. They gave her corazone and her weezing has stopped. Now she is sneezing all the time. All night long she wakes up and sneezes for a couple of...

Sneezing cat [ 4 Answers ]

My cat is about 11/2 years old & in the last couple of weeks has started to sneeze, frequently! Can you tell me why?:confused: Is she alllergic to somethning & if so how do I narrow it down?? Crazyhatlady

View more questions Search