Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjpurdy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Withdrawing 401k early, how much taxes are taken?
    When you withdraw 401k early, how much taxes are taken out, and do they do that for you or do you?
    fewerlbs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpurdy
    when you withdraw 401k early, how much taxes are taken out, and do they do that for you or do you?
    Don't do it. You lose so much money. There's a 20% penalty and then the whole amount is taxed since it was taken our pre-tax. You're better of finding another source of money. Leave 401K where it is. You can borrow against some for a home purchase, etc. but to simply take the money costs you too much.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 19, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Actually, the Early Withdrawal Penalty is 10%. The 401K custodian will WITHHOLD 20% as a down payment for the taxes owed.

All things considered, the tax bite will be AT LEAST 25% and can be as high as 50%, depending on the state in which you live and your tax bracket.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Have you tried taking a loan against your 401K money. This is infinitely better than paying the tax and early withdrawal penalties.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Jul 20, 2007, 07:30 AM
    I found out about an interesting loophole in the tax law on this yesterday. If you are over 55 but under 59-1/2 and leave your job, THEN withdraw from your 401K then there is an exemption for the 10% penalty. BUT you MUST sever your job BEFORE you withdraw the money.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 20, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobea
    I found out about an interesting loophole in the tax law on this yesterday. If you are over 55 but under 59-1/2 and leave your job, THEN withdraw from your 401K then there is an exemption for the 10% penalty. BUT you MUST sever your job BEFORE you withdraw the money.
    Actually, there is a difference between a withdrawal and a distribution. Withdrawals are made in service (while still employed). Distributions are made after termination of employment. The rules do differ somewhat when dealing with an inservice withdrawal and a distribution.
    beingteri Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Jul 20, 2007, 09:27 AM
    The question nobody asked yet is WHY? That will make a difference in you options. I agree with the AtlantaTaxExpert and ScottGem with the penalties assessed and it NOT being worth it, but if you need the money... you need the money. I'd say, look through the information given to you when you set it up, it should explain how to borrow against it... and it can be as much as 95% of what's in there. *However, any loans against a 401k must be paid back (yes to yourself-with interest), and of will be subject to a double taxation. You pay back the loan with after-tax dollars... then you are taxed on the money again when you withdraw it in retirement. Or check with your HR person to get that info. If your company is a large one, they may have some kind of loan program you can access. They penalize you heavily for straight-out withdrawal of funds because they must have a certain percentage of employee participation in order to maintain the 401k status. But there are hardship allowances that would enable you to withdraw funds and not be penalized, but it usually suspends your future participation for 1 year or until the funds are paid back into it. If you NEED the money, what for and how much, and for how long? There are soooo many sources of money out there it would be a shame to trash your 401k and your taxes this year over this hasty move.

If you have found a better place to put your money you're stashing for retirement... and you want to start it with a larger lump sum... unless you have a crapload of deductions on your taxes this year that won't roll forward to future years... don't get that money from the 401k, it will dig too deep. There are some wonderful places to put your money, and far better than a 401k, but not I never recommend my clients give up that option completely if it's available to them. For instance, if your employer matches anything (very rare these days) you should contribute enough to get every penny matched, but no more! That is essentially free money once the account is vested. In actuality, you worked hard to get the amount you contributed, if you take advantage of the matching - you let your employer pick up the tab for the taxes it'll cost you as you withdraw your money! Keep in mind that those funds you contribute TO your 401k don't count as income you are taxed on, and the allowable amount you can put in has been going up every year. In an IRA, you are still limited to the total amount you contribute ($2500 single/$5000 couple)and that will get you no closer to retiring than leaving your money in your checking account! So I wouldn't recommend going that route unless you have a sure fire reason for doing it. But the rest of your available funds should be placed in investments that do more for you, including TAX FREE DISTRIBUTION. If you have a substantial amount of money there, anything over 25k, it's not worth it to lose 1/2. However, if you do have another place for your money THAT IS A QUALIFIED TAX ACCOUNT... which means it follows the same rules as the 401k about withdrawal, etc. like an IRA - you can pull out of the 401k program at work and ROLL those funds into the other account. If they roll the money directly from the 401k to the IRA and you don't "see" the money - 0 penalties. But if you wanted to start up with the 401k again... you'll be locked out for a year. But, you can borrow money from your IRA penalty free for [B]59 days[B]. Sounds silly? It's true, but again, not recommended unless you KNOW you will have it back in there in 55 days!
    If you'd like to bounce any of you questions or strategies off me, feel free to ask. I hope this has been a little helpful... and we weren't way off with what you looking for.:)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 21, 2007, 10:51 AM
    BeingTeri makes some good points!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Withdrawing 401k [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to withdraw 401k, when withdrawing before retirement?

How to file taxes with 401k early withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I took an early withdrawal from my 401k this year, and I'm kind of confused as how to file that on my taxes. Do I use a regular 1040 form? I've always just used a 1040EZ in the past. Are there any other special forms I need to fill out? Also, would tax software such as TurboTax handle all of...

401K early withdrawal and taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

I have dual citizenship (US and Russian). Currently I'm living in the US (Florida resident) and planning to move to Russia permanently. I know, that if I withdraw from 401K before retrirement age I will have to pay penalty (10%?) and federal and state taxes (something like 30%?) What if I...

Taxes on RollOver 401K account Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 29yrs Old and have $104K in a Rollover Account. I am buying my 1st home and would like to put down 20% and wanted to know if I took out $60K from my account WHAT WOULD I ACUTALLY GET AFTER TAXES ETC?

Withdrawing off my 401k? [ 2 Answers ]

First... I have 2 different 401ks. Should I roll these together before I withdraw or withdraw them separate? Second... how to I go about getting started? Is it paper work? If it is where to I get this paperwork? Anyone might be able to help... much appreciated. Thanks Steve

View more questions Search