Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    us252773 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Electrical Outlet - No Ground
    Got back from vacation and refrigerator was out. When testing the outlets it reads "No Ground". Replaced the GFI outlet and still reading "No Ground". The breaker never tripped. All wires on the outlets to that circuit are secure. What could be the problem?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 12:53 PM
    First, You don't want your refrigerator on GFI. I would turn Power off, install regular receptacle. May see ground off there, and check ground in panel.
    Follow wire from frig breaker to exit point of panel, determine that ground, and verify wire is Grounded
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Some early homes did not have a ground wire, if you have a metal electrical box with metal conduit attached to it you could hook the ground here at the receptacle. If no conduit it would not do any good to hook to it and you would have to run a wire from the receptacle to the breaker panel.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 04:28 AM
    The ground may be missing because the wiring system does not have one, then this is why the GFI is there. The ground is not needed for a GFI to work properly.

If the system does not have a ground wire, then leave the GFI. If there is a ground wire, lose the GFI and install a standard outlet for the frig.

As far as the power, there should be 120 volts across the black and white wires at the outlet. If not, the problem many be a defective breaker, or a loose connection anywhere in the circuit from the panel to the outlet, in any box the wiring passes through. Opening each box, including the panel to check each connection and using a voltmeter to check for voltage is the only way to restore power to the frig outlet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No ground switch and outlet replacement [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old home built in the 50's with original wiring that does not have a ground. If I want to replace a switch do I need to some how run a ground to it or can I just replace the switch with a new switch (the way the wiring is currently)? If I want to replace an outlet I have to use a...

Electrical Outlet replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a GFI electrical outlet that went out in the back of our house. It is hooked up on the line to the outlets in our garage. I am using a Sperry Instruments three pronged electrical circuit tester to test the outlets. The GFI that I replaced is now working properly based on the...

Open Ground showing on grounded outlet [ 2 Answers ]

Replacing an outlet I attached the ground wire to the ground wire coming out of the wall box. The test shows an open ground, so I did it again. Same results. The ground wire inside the box is twisted with another ground wire and both appear to be solidly connected coming out. All other outlets...

External Electrical Outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a external electrical outlet in the front and back patios of my house and neither of them work. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

Electrical outlet outage [ 2 Answers ]

While watching TV last night the outlet went dead. It may have been overloaded. However, when I tested the outlet, the checker indicated that the Hot and ground were reversed. The circuit breaker looks good and I reset it for good measure. How do I go about solving this problem? Thanks, Lloyd.

View more questions Search