Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Annemieke Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Jul 13, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Empty stomach- what does it mean?
    On some medications it says: "take on an empty stomach". How long does it take after eating for your stomach to be empty again, and does it make a difference what you eat, and how much? Thank you!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 13, 2007, 09:47 AM
    It typically means to take it 2 hours before or after your meal.

If you wouldn't mind telling me the name of the medication I can look it up in my text and be more specific.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 09:50 AM
    The idea of these medicines is that the digestive process will harm the medication, they have to get into your intestines without being digested too much, so it's important that you don't take it with orange juice or anything as this will start digestion right up again. Take it with water.

I hate when doctors don't explain this stuff to you!

Jul 13, 2007, 10:51 AM
    The medicine I asked about is actually a food supplement: l-carnitine, which I take against fatigue after my kidneys have been damaged by chemotherapy. I discovered it on the internet and it works like the clappers. There is conflicting info about when to take it, but a polio site said 'on an empty stomach' and that seems to work better.
    But I wondered about this in general, not just in this case.
    Thanks! XA
    Expert

Jul 13, 2007, 11:45 AM
    This is what I have found:

Other medical problems—The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of levocarnitine. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, especially:

* Seizures—occur more often and are more severe in patients with a history of seizure activity
    * Severe renal dysfunction—administration of high doses of oral levocarnitine for long periods may build up in the body of patients with severe kidney disease

Proper Use of This Medicine

Take levocarnitine with or just after meals. Also, if you are taking it in liquid form, drink it slowly. It will be less likely to upset your stomach if you take it this way. The liquid form may be taken alone or dissolved in drink or other liquid food.

This medicine is also less likely to cause unwanted effects when there is a constant amount in the blood. If you are taking more than one dose a day, take the doses at evenly spaced times throughout the day. Doses should be spaced at least 3 to 4 hours apart. If you need help in planning the best times to take your medicine, check with your health care professional.
    In your case it should be taken with or just after meals so as not to upset your stomach.

However, most drugs that say to take on an empty stomach you should take 1 to 2 hours before a meal and 2 or more hours after.

Some drugs CAN be taken with orange juice just as others cannot be taken with grapefruit juice. It is your doctor's as well as your chemist's responsibility to make sure you know this.

Also, you say you are taking it because of kidney damage done by chemotherapy. Have you discussed this with your doctor and given the go ahead to take it? It may be contraindicated for your condition unless your doctor has specifically prescribed this.

Jul 14, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Thank you. I will try it that way. Yes, I asked my doctor before using it and told her afterwards how much it helped. It has never upset my stomach at all.
    It is a known effect of chemotherapy with cisplatin that your kidneys can't recycle carnitine anymore. I only take enough to not be fatigued: if I take too much I can't get to sleep.
    Thank you for your help! XA
    Expert

Jul 14, 2007, 12:21 PM
    I will have to check that out then. Because I had cancer and chemo 10 years ago now, and I am always fatigued.

Jul 14, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Please let me know how you get on, I’d like to know I’ve helped someone. There must be others around who can benefit from this supplement which is little known other than as a fashionable anti-aging gimmick.
    In the same way that l-carnitine (NOT acetyl l carnitine!) many help with fatigue after Cisplatin chemotherapy, so coenzyme Q10 may help after chemo with Adriamycin. Q10 can also help fatigue caused by cholesterol lowering drugs like Zocor, Mevacor or Pravachol and possibly by beta blockers, tricyclic anti-depressants, and phenothiazines.
    These food supplements are not as well known as many new expensive drugs, partly because they can’t be patented so they are not widely advertised.
    I hope this will help someone. It changed my life!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I feel So empty [ 15 Answers ]

My life is pretty calm and I barley have anything wrong. I am an only child and I have a very caring loveing mother that has always been there for me... I don't have a messed up life but I constantley feel as though I have nothing... no feeling what so ever.. and I'm always depressed it seems...

I feel empty. [ 3 Answers ]

OK lately I have been feeling kind of depressed but it isn't as bad as it used to be. I have never had a boyfriend before and it never used to bother me that much but now it is really starting to stress me out. I keep feeling really lonely all the time and I am always asking my mum for hugs which...

Unused, Empty Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

A year ago we shut the water to a toilet in our house off because it was constantly running. We were planning to replace the toilet (it was very old anyway) with a new one when we renovated the bathroom. Some time has passed and we are now ready to renovate and will replace the toilet. Will we...

I feel so empty.. What should I do? [ 5 Answers ]

So I have went through some pretty crazy relationships, but I was always being hurt, or lied too, even cheated on- and finally I thought I found the guy of my dreams. He was amazing- he brought me flowers, drove for four hours at two in the morning to come and see me, and never put me down once. In...

View more questions Search