Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ariel2007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Dachshund may be pregnant or not?
    How can I tell if my 8 month old dachshund is pregnant? She went into heat 2 months ago, and now her nipples are full and her tummy looks a little swollen. Her "flower" as I call it still hasn't completely gone down. Please no critisim. Just help in knowing what signs to look for.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 07:45 PM
    There is little telling for sure except coughing up for the overdue vet visit.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 09:32 PM
    I believe that the vet can do a blood test, examine the abdomen and feel the puppies or take x-rays depending on how far along she is. Why would you think that anyone would be critical of someone bringing the best of a bloodline into this world. It sounds as though you will be responsible and make sure your dog receives the best care possible before during and after the delivery. Please while you are at the vets check to make sure that you are giving her the proper type of food for a pregnant dog. I would also get a price list for the cost for delivering c-section. This is common with daschshunds. Also the price list for the first puppy check ups an immunizations Also I am sure that as soon as you find out how many pups are to be expected you will start taking deposits. Hopefully you are getting your applications ready and you will check out the potential owners ,their vets and their homes to ensure that they will be placed in the most loving responsible homes. I know that it is a lot of work but I am sure that from here on in you will plan ahead. Also don't forget to make sure that you have a clause in your contract that states that if needed or if there is a genetic problem with the pups that you will be willing to refund the money and take the pup/dog back at anytime in their lifetime. I am positive that you will want this clause. You would not want the blood of innocent puppy lives on your hands, if the potential owners decide to send them to the pound or let them roam up and down the street after they were tired of dealing with them. After all They live to be about 15 years if I am not mistaken and they are prone to back ailments etc... You know that some people can't commit to 15 years of keeping an animal or if they are hard to potty train etc... the would rather give them up to the pound or the next passerby. Some people are not as dedicated as you or I.http://www.rescueeverydog.org/dachshund_breed.html Suggest this site for the potential owners to read that way they will be as well informed as you are. Good luck
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Areil2007 I hope you read the post very well and you really take in to consideration that not everyone is going to keep their puppies forever. Please before you let her get mate again, do a lot of research on dogs mainly daschshunds being in rescue. Having and placing puppies is a big responsibility. Its sad but true some people have the money to buy them but not the patience and time that it takes to train or to committ 15 years. Are you sure that both of the mom and dad do not have any type of health/temperament problems or that there is not any health / temperament problems in their ancestors. Everything must be taken into consideration when breeding dogs. I truly hope you consider all of this information out before you decide to let her mate again.
    ariel2007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 07:29 PM
    She is pregnant! She got a clean bill of health at the vet. Her lineage is strong and ferial. Both her parents are alive and well and beautiful as ever. I am doing background checks on all adoptees and I have informed them I want the babies back if they can't handle them, no matter how long or short that may be.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 10:05 PM
    You make them sign a contract I would also have it notarized (you both have to be present. I would also want a name and number of the vet that they are intendng on using. I would visit their homes after my puppies went home with them. Also I would let them know that there would be a couple visits through out the coming year. Make sure that they understand the responsibility of being a pet owner. Make sure that they understand that the contract must be followed. They would also be informed that I would be doing a criminal check on them. I would want to know that they were not drifters and that I would need their last address, their landlords name and phone # or the address of the homes that they had previously owned.If the potential owners had a problem with my request, well they could keep their money. I hope that you have talked to the vet about how long the puppies need to be with their mom. I know that people may think that I am extreme but but we are talking about innocent, living breathing helpless creatures that depend on us human beings to keep them safe forever! Also I think a questonaire would be good for them to answer. 1.Like how they intend on potty training them. 2.How often they will feed them. 3.What type of food, & how many times they will be feed per day4. Will they be crated, 5.Will they be left alone or will someone be at home with them during the day. 6.How many hours a day will they be alone.7. Have they ever had any previous pets& How long did they live. 8. What will be their method of punishment. 9 Do they have any small children. They would be given this to fill out in my presence and then I would get back to them depending upon their answers. Maybe they get some things wrong ,no biggie just work with them and make sure that they are educated on daschshunds and their needs before they get them. Lady, I would not want to be in your shoes because I don't think I could let any of them go. I truly hope that you understand how important it is to find decent, loving responsible homes. Expect and demand the best for your puppies.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 03:23 AM
    None of that changes the fact that she is a puppy whose body is far from being ready to bare a litter. You have abused her by allowing her to get pregnant. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 03:54 AM
    Ariel, you never mentioned if you purposefully bred her or not, and if the father is a dachshund as well. As much as you would prefer not to have criticism, at 8 months old, you have done a grave disservice to your puppy by not allowing her to fully mature before breeding her. If the father is a larger breed dog, you might be in for some heartache. You need to get as much help as you can from your vet on this. You also never mentioned where you purchased her from. There are too many factors here that you have not told us about. I hope that you will read up as much as you can about breeding and delivery prior to your dog's giving birth. You also need to do as much research as you can on parvo virus and other ailments that affect puppies. Parvo virus is deadly to a pup. There is a lot to learn. Please educate yourself as much as possible. The AKC website on dachshunds is an excellent source for imformation. You may want to consider contacting them for advice. Here are a couple of useful links from their web site.

American Kennel Club - Responsible Breeding Steps
    Responsible Breeding - Resources
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Areil I truly hope that you take eveyones suggestons into account. This is a serious issue and I pray that you understand how much there is involved in caring for a mom and puppies properly. I truly hope that you visit the websites that were listed and also Google up daschshunds rescues before you let her breed again accidentally or purposely. It is the hope by many on here that dog lovers will not be particapte in behavior that adds to even more dogs being killed in over crowded shelters and littering the world with unwanted puppies. What's done is done, just do not make it worse . Learn as much as possible. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant Dachshund maybe [ 20 Answers ]

You know, I looked on this site for advice about my baby, a mini dachshund. Then I realized that this site is just like many others I have seen. You ask a question about IF your dog could be pregnant and what to expect, and the fact that you'd like advice from non-judging individuals. I am a...

My Dachshund may be pregnant [ 6 Answers ]

If she is, she is around 30 days. She's not gaining weight, but her nipples protrude a little more than usual. They are not however full. What signs should I be looking for. Despite what most people think on this site, I love my dog, and YES I would take every pup that I could not find a good...

Dachshund [ 1 Answers ]

Last week my dog got sick with this rare hemalitic anemia sorry not sure how to spell it .the problem is that we tried to save him with blood transfusions and medicine he never made it out of the hospital 4 days of work on him the only thing they said that something triggered it off . Not sure what...

Dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I Have Been Taking Care Of My Brother-in-laws Two Mini Dachshunds Since He Was Called Up (army) About A Year Ago, One Of Them Has Become Very Aggressive About Everything Space, Toys, Bones, My Daughter, But I'm The One Who Does For Them, But He Sleeps With My Daughter Why Would He Start...

Dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I just adopted a 5 year old miniature dachshund. I have noticed that she has not been eating very much. She goes over to her food dish, puts her nose down into it and pushes the food around. What does that mean?

View more questions Search