Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmfidell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Is Workman's comp settlements taxable?
    Is workman's compensation settlements taxable?
    slipkin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 06:01 PM
    To the best of my knowledge, the answer is "NO" unless, of course, you are sent a 1099 from the insurer. If you are not sent a 1099 A or B, then, I believe, that you do not need to report it.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Jul 12, 2007, 04:16 AM
    Workman's compensation payments are generally not taxable as long as they were for personal injury or sickness and qualify under the state workman's compensation requirements.

There might be a tax issue if the payments are for medical expenses previously deducted.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 12, 2007, 04:35 AM
    I'm surprised I didn't ask this. I injured my back at work (in Florida) and have been WC benefits since then. My income has been downwardly controlled because of this. I'm looking very much forward to getting well and back to work, though that will interfer with my attendance here at AMHD. ;-)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 12, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Agree with TTE. In most circumstances, workmen's compensation is NOT taxable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is per diem taxable? [ 18 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me if per diem is taxable? My brother took a job this past year and half his salary is per diem, as he travels daily. He receives a monthly expense allotment for which he submits receipts. His per diem is for meals and accommodations only. Of course, he has asked me to...

Workman's Compensation settlement [ 1 Answers ]

I will be receiving a workmans comp. settlement shortly and need to know if I file bankruprcy will they keep or want to know why I don't have it anymore

QUICKBOOKS Inventory Items taxable or non-taxable [ 0 Answers ]

I have Quick Books Basic. Our small business sells clothing. Recently moved from Pennsylvania (where clothing is a non-taxable item) to Washington (where clothing is a taxable item) So inventory items were all entered in Pennsylvania as non-taxable. And now that we are in Washington they ought...

What is taxable if anything [ 2 Answers ]

An one time gift of 45000 was given to the pastor of our church for housing. The church gave it directly to the mortgage bank. Is it considered a gift through the church or income through the church? Thanks.

View more questions Search