Ask
    puppylove21 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Jul 8, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Dog poo
    What causes a dogs poo to be black?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 10:34 AM
    The only thing I would think of is old blood or something that he ate. Usually blood in poop has a really thick tar like consistency. I would keep an eye out for he next couple of stools and make sure they were not all that way. If they are I would say take your dog to the vet. However if it is a one time thing it may just be something the dog ate.
    puppylove21 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Jul 8, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Seems to be after she eats raw hide chews. Hm?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 02:28 PM
    I would stop giving them to her. I was told that some brands of rawhide chews contained plastic. To be on the safe side I would stop giving them to her and watch her poo carefully.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Forget the rawhides. They kill, plastic or no plastic.

The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into
    Pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not
    There to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a
    Close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in
    Pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed.
    These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive
    Chewers such as Labs.
    tashamarie80 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Jul 8, 2007, 09:42 PM
    I agree to stop feeding rawhides, It could be blood in stool, but you also should go to the vet, check out how much iron is in your dogs food or supplements/treats as too much iron in humans causes black tarry stool, not sure about dogs.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 03:13 AM
    I guess I got lost on rawhides. The dog still needs to go to the vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My new pup has runny poo with blood [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I haven't had my pup 48hrs yet but I've noticed that in two of his poos which have been quite runny there has been a small amount of blood in it. Can any one help? Thanks

Neighbor slipped in Dog Poo-suing [ 29 Answers ]

Hello. My neighbor slipped in dog poo on her lawn last week and claims she has a "compressed fracture" and needs surgery and might be out of work 6-8 months. She said she still has the dog poop she slipped in and she is going to get DNA samples of the dogs in the neighborhood (she does not have a...

My shih tzu goes poo and pee in his crate! [ 11 Answers ]

I have read many articles regarding my situation and I would like further advice if anyone has it. I have a 5 month old shih tzu and he is getting the grasp of potty training and actually really good at it. The only thing I am having the hardest time with him pooping and peeing in his crate when we...

My puppy has blood in his poo [ 4 Answers ]

:( I have a 15 week old male, and he is very happy all of the time, but just to day I found out there is blood in his poo. He has had his shots and woming as well. It has been going on for 2 days. (I have 2 other dogs) Please help me!! :confused:

Dog poo is off color [ 4 Answers ]

This morning when my dog went the toilet she did a few poos that were very white, they were dry and were crumbly. She also did poos similar to these this afternoon and I'm very worried. She also did not have her dinner last night or tonight. She is a white pure bred maltese dog who is nearly 2.5...

View more questions Search