Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ltfire Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 05:09 PM
    John Deere shuts itself off
    John Deere tractor, L120, 3 years old.
    Tractor is shutting itself off after 45 minutes of use. It will restart only by keeping the choke and throttle wide open (to get myself back to my garage so I don't have to push it.) I THINK I eliminated a fuel problem, as I have blown out all fuel lines, replaced fuel filter and fuel pump. Now I am thinking that it is the solenoid under the carb. Is this easily replaced? And, are my suspicions correct?
    I let it sit for a half an hour after today's shut down, and it started right up.. but, 40 minutes into mowing, it shut itself off again. What the hell?
    ltfire Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ltfire
    John Deere tractor, L120, 3 years old.
    Tractor is shutting itself off after 45 minutes of use. It will restart only by keeping the choke and throttle wide open (to get myself back to my garage so I don't have to push it.) I THINK I eliminated a fuel problem, as I have blown out all fuel lines, replaced fuel filter and fuel pump. Now I am thinking that it is the solenoid under the carb. Is this easily replaced? And, are my suspicions correct?
    I let it sit for a half an hour after todays shut down, and it started right up..but, 40 minutes into mowing, it shut itself off again. What the hell??
    UPDATE.
    Fuel cap was jammed with dirt (note to self.. always check this first).
    Vapor lock occurred. Cap cleaned and problem solved!
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Check the fuel cap. If the vent hole is clogged it will present these symptoms
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Ooops! We must have post at same time, but my computer is slow. Anyway you got it going

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere L110 Carburetor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a John Deere L110 that's about 3 years old and it does not want to run it has little or no power and back fires a lot when it finally does start. I have tried the kohler carburetor rebuild kit with no luck

John Deere replacement [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I have a JD L120 with 65hrs and a failed Hydro, Luckily its 23months old and will receive a new Hydro under warranty. As it has only lasted 1 1/2 summers I am sceptical to it's longevity. I mow a series of slopes covering 6 acres. I am interested in a replacement that will last, any...

John Deere 160 [ 2 Answers ]

I took the floating deck off, when I put it back on, it will not move. I have an owner's manual, but it's no help. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of how to reattach the deck? THanks, AWE

John deere hydro 185 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a john deere 185, it will turn over and start with starting fuid and stay running if I keep hiting the carb with starting fluid, soon as I stop it shuts off, I checked fuel lines and cleaned the carb, lines are good and it is getting fuel in the retaining pool under the carb, I think it...

Bought john deere tractor [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a very expensive john deere x748 loader/mower. It runs on diesel. MY question is can I get this registered to drive down the street to the gas station without going through big hassles at te registery? I can cut though psrking lots except for fifty ft

View more questions Search