Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Burd Posts: 60, Reputation: 3

May 16, 2007, 03:10 AM
    Is creatine bad for you?
    Hi, I was just wondering is creatine monohydrate the suppliment you can take in powder for with shakes, to increase muscle mass size bad for you.

i.e does it because liver problem in the future of cushion syndrome?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 04:18 AM
    When creatine supplements were tested after activation with fluid, a disturbing discovery was made. It was found that almost immediately after adding water to creatine monohydrate that the majority of it rapidly converted to the toxic by-product creatinine. This held true no matter how "unique" the formulation was claimed to be, or the purity of the assayed dry creatine content.

In the past, some companies pointed to the virtual lack of creatinine in their powders, calling them "creatinine free". What was not considered is that the tests were conducted with dry creatine monohydrate. Once fluid is introduced, creatinine conversion occurs.

A number of negative side-effects can arise from increased creatinine levels, among them; stomach cramps and bloating, diarrhea, indemia, water retention, dehydration, headaches, liver and kidney problems and creatinine poisoning. These side-effects are caused by the body's internal self-defense mechanism reacting to save itself from the ingested toxins by diluting it with water.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Although, like a lot of supplements you will hear different views, I am pro creatine, I Believe creatine allows a natural process to go to the next level. You'll take more than you can consume in a natural diet. (Meat and Fish). Creatine is relatively safe, if your in good health and taken in moderation using high quality products. It is one of the best studied supplements ever. Basically it is a nitrogenous organic acid that helps supply energy to muscle cells. It is a amino aacid based compound, and the side effects are... and vary person to peron, that's why you should check with your Doctor before taking any supplement, It includes kidney stones, gas, bloating, dirrhea, weight gain, (water etention), muscle cramps, nasusea, gastro. Distress, and even seizures... All supplements, drugs and aids have side effects, which is why you should have a physical and discuss what you expect or want out of a diet aid or supplement. A change of Diet, portion control and exercise are also necessary.
    Sanjay Persad Posts: 110, Reputation: 0

Jun 28, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Actually creatine is quite good to use. There are no proven permanent or life threatening side effects associated with creatine use. It's perfectly safe to use it. However d reason I doh use it is because is cause a lot of water retention which makes you look bloated. Plus you need to use a hell of a lot more than d required 5 grams per day for it to work. I have seen bodybuilders loadn up with at least 25-30 grams of pure creatine monohydrate.
    Sanjay Persad Posts: 110, Reputation: 0

Jun 29, 2007, 06:31 PM
    I guess you people doh listen. Wat I tell yuh is that only bodybuilders and dem using 25 grams of protein. And as it only increases ATP levels for about 90 seconds so therefore it works best with bodybuilders and powerlifters. The required dosage is 5 grams per day and it is used in cycles. As I said there are no real side effects.
    enano13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 01:15 PM
    I'm 16 years old and I'm using this products.is that bad for me?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 03:27 PM

No, it's not bad for you. Creatine is one of the most researched supplements on the market, and almost every study has found new reasons to take it.

It can improve endurance, strength, bone density, heat adaptation, help cope with sleep derivation, reduce muscle loss after injury, the list goes on...

It may cause some water retention, but it's water not fat, and it goes as soon as you stop taking it.

I'm a 48 year old woman and I use it.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 06:23 AM

I think in moderation it is no worse than anything else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

BAD SMELL I have a very bad smell coming from my toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I live on a slab, older house & have a horrible smell coming from one of my bathrooms, also there are nats flying out of my shower drain. Do you have any idea on what this could be... I really don't have the money for a plumber... please let me know any suggestions... Thank You :confused: ...

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Bad Debt and Bad Debt allocation [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help with the following accounting exercise? The following info was listed in company X balance sheet as of 2005 Aacounts Rec for 2004 150,000 Aacounts Rec for 2005 250,000 Allowance for bad debt in 2004 was 8,200 Allowance for bad debt in 2005 was 12,000

Creatine and Whey Protein [ 7 Answers ]

I've been working out for about 2 months now approx 4 times per week and I need to start using supplements as I don't feel I'm getting the results I should be for the effort I'm putting in, but my question is Can I use creatine before I work out and take whey protein after I work out?

Creatine and Vitamin B [ 3 Answers ]

If it is advisable to take vitamin B with Creatine ,would it be all right to mix creatine in with whey protein drink as that contains vitamin B ?

View more questions Search