Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ketan_bhatt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 12:28 AM
    Capacitor on a ceiling fan
    Hello everybody.

Newbie on this forum. My ceiling fan is out of order due to capacitor burnout. It is 2.25 MFD. Even when it was working fine, I felt it was not running at full RPM revolutions per minute.

My friend suggested that replacing old capacitor with 4 MFD will help resolve RPM issue. Is that correct? I was under the impression that capacitor is there only to give starting torque.

Another related question, what is triple capacitor? Is it of any use in my case?

Thanks.

- Ketan

Jun 7, 2007, 02:50 AM
    Clarification, 'M' in MFD above stands for 'micro'. Found it difficult to write 'mu' on my keyboard. - Ketan
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Ceiling fans use PSC motors, it is used as both a Start and Run capacitor. You need to replace it with a new capacitor of equal value, unless the one that's in there is not original and is of an incorrect value.

American made ceiling fans - Ceiling Fans N More
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 12:24 PM
    That link should read ceiling fan capacitors.

Triple capacitors are used for silent speed control. Sounds like your fan has a single capacitor. How many wires does it have?

Jun 7, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    That link should read ceiling fan capacitors.

Triple capacitors are used for silent speed control. Sounds like your fan has a single capacitor. How many wires does it have?
    Thanks for responding to second part of my problem. Link is helpful too.

My old capacitor has 2 wires. Actually 2.25uf capacitor is easily available. But person says he has experience that installing 4uf capacitor will help increase RPM count. Your suggested link says +/-1uf is "TOLERABLE". My confusion is "will it help increase RPM". What harm it can cause to fan?

Thanks again for taking care.

- Ketan
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Installing a capacitor of a lower number will cause the fan to run slower. Installing a capacitor of a significantly higher number WILL cause the fan to run faster, but can damage the motor and will likely cause it to overheat.

If the fan is running slow, either the capacitor is bad or something else is wrong. Try replacing with another 2 or 3uf capacitor first. What make is the fan?

Jun 9, 2007, 02:51 AM
    Thanks again. Replaced capacitor with 3.15uf one made by Tibcon

There in noticeable increase in RPM. Fan is Crompton Greaves model# HS1400 Crompton Greaves Ltd.
    It is supposed to have better motor winding over this part of the world (india). I hope and wish it will be able to withstand higher capacitor.

I liked this forum. Regards.

- ketan bhatt
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Crompton Greaves, those are VERY good fans are normally go VERY VERY VERY VERY fast. If it is still not going fast, it might need oil!

2.25 vs 3mfd should be fine.

Are you located in India?
    blue07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 04:31 AM
    Replacement capacitors are available through most venues that sell ceiling fan parts. They may be found by Google searches or most local stores.

**** edited FC*****
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2009, 03:06 PM

I prefer CeilingFanParts.com Home but most electrical supply houses have them. Also going through the manufacturer can sometimes be cheaper.
    e_ben9 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 06:53 AM
    Ceiling fan is a Single phase Induction motor.Generally we use a capacitor start &Run AC Motor for ceiling Fans.
    Motor principle: whenever current carrying conductor is placed in a magnetic field-it experiences force.
    Stator: supplied by 1-phase voltage, current will produce in the stator winding-so magnetic field. But AC motor needs a rotating magnetic field in order turn the motor shaft (fan blades). This is done by applying voltage with different phases to different windings. In a single phase system (like at your house where you would use a ceiling fan) there is only one voltage phase. The capacitor is used to provide a phase shift (i.e. a time offset between currents) in the windings of the motor, making it appear that the motor is operating in a multiphase system.In Simple Terms, A single Phase is Split Into Two. There are also other methods to split Phase But using a capacitor is less expensive.
    Now we have magnetic field.
    We need current carrying conductor:
    Because of Induction, voltage will develop in rotor as It is a closed circuit current will produce-so current carrying conductorp laced in magnetic field.
    Rotor will rotate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I change a capacitor in ceiling fan? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Huntington III ceiling fan that is only 7 months old. The fan speed is stuck in the "high" mode. Using the pull chain doesn't change the speed. I contacted HB's helpline and was advised that it was a bad capacitor. They mailed me a new one but no instructions. How do I...

Hampton Bay Ceiling fan: fan speed pull chain [ 2 Answers ]

The pull chain controlling the fan speed snapped off inside the unit. How much disassembly is required to replace it?

Ceiling Fan - Motor Start Capacitor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan whose motor fails to self-start. The fan has three speeds. All three speeds work fine if I hand spin the blades, starting at low speed of course. The fan has a remote unit. Once I hand start the fan the remote allows me to change speeds up and down and turn off the...

Ceiling fan: change capacitor for single speed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Loyal Products made in Taiwan fan with melted 4 wire capacitor. The capacitor has blue wire in and red 4uF, white 4.5uF and yellow 5uF wires out. This is connected to a two layer switch by the red and yellow wire. The white capacitor wire connects to a red wire going into the motor. My...

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

View more questions Search