Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MoldyMike Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2007, 05:12 AM
    Well pump not shutting off
    Ok, we installed a new bladder holding tank, preset points and pressure switch along with all new pipe. The plumber did not put a new pressure gauge on the line though. He said he would come back and put a new gauge on the line which he did not have with him at the time. After the installation the tank filled fine, there was great water pressure to the house but the pump would come on about every 2 minutes, run for about 30 seconds then shut off and continued to do this. It was late (after dark) when this project was complete and the plumber left the property saying he'd be back. We cut the power to the pump last night so that it would not keep kicking on and off. When we turned it on this morning the pump came right on and we had water to the house immediately. But now the pump will not shut off unless we manually separate the points. Do you have any input for me?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 6, 2007, 12:56 PM
    The first thing I would check is the check valve. If it's bad you will lose pressure as soon as the pump shuts off and start the pump again. Now it sounds like it's not letting the pump get up to cut off pressure so it's running all the time. The plumber did set the bladder tank to 2 PSI under the cut in point of the control box didn't he? Regards, Tom
    MoldyMike Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Thank you Tom.
    The pressure switch had to be reset to a lower setting because the pump is older and tired and cannot bring the water pressure up enough to shut it off. Your suggestions were helpful. We don't believe that the check valve is the problem. Looks like a new bigger pump motor is in the near future.
    Thanks again
    MoldyMike
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MoldyMike
    Ok, we installed a new bladder holding tank, preset points and pressure switch along with all new pipe. The plumber did not put a new pressure gauge on the line though. He said he would come back and put a new gauge on the line which he did not have with him at the time. After the installation the tank filled fine, there was great water pressure to the house but the pump would come on about every 2 minutes, run for about 30 seconds then shut off and continued to do this. It was late (after dark) when this project was complete and the plumber left the property saying he'd be back. We cut the power to the pump last night so that it would not keep kicking on and off. When we turned it on this morning the pump came right on and we had water to the house immediately. But now the pump will not shut off unless we manually separate the points. Do you have any input for me?
    Do you know how to adjust the pressure cut-off points on the switch? My switch has directions on the inside of the cover. It is simple but be prepared to turn the adjusting nut several full turns. Mine has two, one to cut the pump off and the other to cut it on. Also, those bladder pressure tanks can be a little sensitive. The pressure on "top" of the tank must be set very close to the cut-off pressure for the pump. Directions for that should be with the tank. I notice on mine that when the pressure runs low enough to cut the pump on, the tank pressure will drop off QUICKLY to about twenty or so pounds and then just as quickly rebound.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 6, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe
    Do you know how to adjust the pressure cut-off points on the switch? My switch has directions on the inside of the cover. It is simple but be prepared to turn the adjusting nut several full turns. Mine has two, one to cut the pump off and the other to cut it on. Also, those bladder pressure tanks can be a little sensitive. The pressure on "top" of the tank must be set very close to the cut-off pressure for the pump. Directions for that should be with the tank. I notice on mine that when the pressure runs low enough to cut the pump on, the tank pressure will drop off QUICKLY to about twenty or so pounds and then just as quickly rebound.
    Good advice jlisenbe,

Here's how to reset your control box. First turnoff the power at the breaker box, then pull the cover off the pressure switch,(see image) and you will see two spring loaded bolts secured with nylon nuts. One tall, one short. To increase the cut in pressure, turn the nut on the tall bolt down. To increase the cut out pressure,(that's the one that will give you more pressure) turn the nut on the short bolt down until the desired pressure's reached. To lower pressure do the opposite. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

It always shutting off... Help! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there this is not really about software, but its about computer hope someone can help me... My prob is my monitor so many times that it always automatically shutting off or should I say blacking out... just like when you turn off your PC but the mine is I didn't shut off my PC but my monitor...

AC not shutting off outside [ 1 Answers ]

My ac cools the house great but is not turning off outside any ideas what is wrong?

Furnace shutting down [ 4 Answers ]

I have an Amana 80 high efficiency furnace. Recently had to replace the ignitor. Since then the furnace will shut off periodically. I'll reset it, and it seems to works fine, but it will shut off again. Also, is it normal for the ignitor to go through 3 cycles before the furnce kicks in?

LapTop shutting down [ 1 Answers ]

My laptop keeps shutting down. I'm not sure if it is heat related because it could shut down after only a few minuets of operations or it can operate for several hours. I guess I could start with trying to clean up the registry and if that don't work look at the mother board as a potential...

View more questions Search