Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carmex22000 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 10:16 PM
    Fuse box is warm
    I smell something like melted rubber or plastic. I finally found where it was coming from, which is my fuse box. The box feels warm (a little, not hot) and it smells like melted plastic. Is this something that could be dangerous? I'm scared to go to bed tonight, especially since it's located in my bedroom and I live in a mobile home. It's a 1993 model, if that helps on telling what type of fuse box it is. I'm going to get it checked out, but since this is Saturday night at 12:00 p.m. I'll have to wait until Monday to get it checked out. I hope it doesn't catch on fire, etc. Especially after I go to sleep. Please tell me what you think about this problem.

Thanks for any help with this!

By the way, it has breakers instead of fuses.
    go4011s Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 11:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carmex22000
    I smell something like melted rubber or plastic. I finally found where it was coming from, which is my fuse box. The box feels warm (a little, not hot) and it smells like melted plastic. Is this something that could be dangerous? I'm scared to go to bed tonight, especially since it's located in my bedroom and I live in a mobile home. It's a 1993 model, if that helps on telling what type of fuse box it is. I'm going to get it checked out, but since this is Saturday night at 12:00 p.m. I'll have to wait until Monday to get it checked out. I hope it doesn't catch on fire, etc. Especially after I go to sleep. Please tell me what you think about this problem.

Thanks for any help with this!!

By the way, it has breakers instead of fuses.
    When in doubt, power-out. If you really want to avoid risk, shut off your power until someone can come out.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Hope you are still with us.
    Was it a loose, burnt wire?
    I bet you could see the problem.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 02:31 PM
    With a warm box you are looking at a fire hazard. Feel the wall and see if that is warm now. Turn off all power and call an electrician

Jun 5, 2007, 08:42 PM
    The box isn't real warm, just a little. I talked with an electrician and he said it was normal for a box (or rather the circuit breaker that goes to the dryer, in my case) to be a little warm when I am running my dryer. Thank you for responding, if I see that it gets very warm, I'll do as you said and turn everything off and call an electrician.

Jun 5, 2007, 08:47 PM
    Stratmando, thanks for your concern, too. Yes, I am still with you guys. I don't know what the problem was, but it seems o.k. now. I don't know why I smelled the odor strongly that one time, but I am keeping an eye on it. If it puts out the smell anymore I will contact an electrician. I didn't see any burn wires, etc.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 01:49 AM
    This problem did not get better on it's own.The odor is a reason to have it checked before there is a serious problem. Many of the connections in a fuse panel are hidden, so a visual inspection is not sufficient.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Like others above, Problems usually don't get better on their own. Loose connections generate heat. Maybe pull breaker and look at contacts. I would tighten ALL conections in panel, neutrals, and at breakers
    Good to hear from you again.. Take Care

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost of converting fuse box to circuit breakers [ 18 Answers ]

I have a 100 amp electrical service using a fuse box to which a small circuit breaker panel was added (see photo). I would like to convert the whole service to a 150 amp circuit breaker panel. I live in Rochester, Minnesota. What is your estimate of the cost of this conversion?

A/C fuse box height [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving an exterior a/c compressor to a new location and have to move the breaker box too. It is currently at 48", is that a code requirement or can I locate it lower to 36". Thank you

Dryer causeing fuse box to get hot [ 3 Answers ]

My dad has a new dryer that keeps causeing fusebox to get hot whenever You are running the dryer. The old dyer did not do this? Help. moose8606

Please explain this, Time delay fuse box, [ 2 Answers ]

The house I bought has a time delay fuse box system? Does this means after a fuse box breaker blowes and I reset it I still have to wait before it will reset it self? I want to upgrade to a 200 amp box what should I look for, I have a GE Box, all are 20 amp breakers, there are a couple 30amp...

View more questions Search