Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BellaAmore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 11:44 PM
    Why can't I gain weight?
    I'm 25 5'2 and 95 pounds and I want to gain weight so bad, but it feels like such a struggle to do so. When I eat a little I am 95, when I eat normal it's 95, when I eat a lot it's still 95! I've been skinny my whole life and even though I'm confident, I hate my body sometimes and isn't because I look bad, it is because people comment on it ALL the time! Really it's just women that do, they seem so consumed with how I look and I wish they weren't. I get so angry about it, I'm about to start telling the next woman who says something to me that she really needs to lose some weight and get the hell over mine! That's how upset it makes me. But I can't do that. I really believe all woman are beautiful in there own way no matter what size they are but I feel weak and tired of fighting it anymore. Why is it OK for people to criticize me and make me feel ugly all the time? I just want to gain weight to feel more "ideal" and shut everyone up. I hated my body when I was a kid and struggle to love it now because of so much pressure all the time. I just want to feel normal and wish I could feel beautiful for more than an hour a day. I want my thyroid checked cause I heard that can cause you to not gain weight. But I have been this way my whole life, is it possible to have an overactive thyroid your whole life and not know it? I can't just eat tons of food because I have stomach problems, (and that's a whole other exausting problem that I don't even have a real known reason for that either). The protein shakes didn't work for me, but maybe I just wasn't diligent enough. They tasted disgusting and they hurt my stomach. I considered trying some birth control that "makes some women gain weight", but that's not a for sure thing anyway and I really hate the idea of getting on birth control, I like feeling natural and in tune with my cycles. Eating more DOES NOT work for me. I go through times I eat constantly and my weight just stays the same. I'm usually anywhere from 93-95. But the past couple days, I've had no appetite and feel like I lost a couple pounds and that is very unusual for me, so it's on my mind even more lately. So if anyone has some real sound, actual productive, unique advice for my unusual problem, I would so very appreciate, from the bottom of my heart your advice on this. Thanks to anyone who actually got this far on my "extremely long question". : )
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

May 26, 2007, 01:42 AM
    Hello. My name is Greg. I have a pretty good idea of how you feel. I am not skinny, but have been told I am. You are thin!! People are jealous. You are petite!! People {guy's like me love that!! } You are not tall!! You are of a great weight for your height. Could you be heavier? Who knows? Your metabolism certainly thinks your perfect! You are lucky. People have called me skinny and I have a great build. One thing that may help you put a little extra mussel on, is dried fruit. Lot's of it too, and then if you stay at 95 you are going to out live the Japanese lady down the block! I am willing to bet your hot. $20.00 cash, I'm smart... just read my posts. Wait no... I'm not tossing my cash to the wind. But I see you are severely distressed... And will give you better advice in the morn. But thyroid problems can also lead to anxiety and depression. And can be found with a simple blood sample... talk more tomorrow.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Don't succumb to their pressure for you to conform! Everybody has a different perfect weight, this seems to be where you're body wants to be.

However if you do want to put on weight you're going to have to do it slowly 1 to 2 pounds a week to trick it into thinking that is your new proper weight. (Same as with weight loss but in reverse). I agree with the top poster dried fruit and nuts are a good way. Eat little and offen to not stress your stomach.

Have you had food intolerance tests done? This could be contributing to your stomach and weight probs. You should go see a nutritionist.

Also your 25 you will put on weight as you get older and your metabolism slows down. My mother was very slender like yourself and she told me not to ever put up with people criticising your weight - like you say you can't tell them they're fat. It always seems acceptable one way but not another.

There are some people on these boards who are diet experts so I'll leave the diet stuff up to them (Lovelesspa's brilliant) but I really think you shouldn't allow these people to bully you and make you feel bad. If you really want to put on weight make sure its for you not them.

Good luck
    MISSIBAYBE Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Jun 4, 2007, 11:59 AM
    I've faced the same comments from family, friends, and strangers for 27 years. I'm 5'5 and now weigh 106 to 109lbs. I get EXCITED when the pounds rise! Last October, I was 103 - 105lbs. My goal is to be 120 - 125lbs. I was working a very stressful job where I had to be on my toes everyday. I ate lunch late, and usually didn't have an appetite. I feel that because I am thin, it makes me look young. I get comments that I'm 18 and sometimes even 21. Quite sad, no matter how much make-up I wear, or how "adult" my clothes look, I still look young because I'm not fat. My only come-back is "well when I'm 40, I'll look better than you." I'm asian and my mom would always make soup, and noodles, and rice. You can't get fat off that, and I got sick of eating the same stuff. And I didn't know how to cook so it wasn't like I was going to make a nice steak and potatoes to eat everyday when my parents took care of the cooking. I'm not a breakfast person, so that's probably why I don't gain weight. Growing up, I had lots of stomach pains. It was hard for me to decipher if I was having a tummy ache or if I was really hungry because I use to skip meals. I love sleep and if my tummy purred in the middle of the night, I'd choose to ignore it. I tried eating McDonalds everyday for lunch or dinner. That didn't work either. I'm taking birth control and have been on it for YEARS. Sadly, I wasn't one of the lucky ones to gain weight. I now know the feeling of feeling bloated. So once I left my stressful job, I started eating right. I try not to ignore my cravings. I know money is always tight but I feel that food is always a priority. I live on my own now, and my boyfriend and I have invested in a new hobby, cooking! I love food! My friends are always amazed on how much I can eat, and how I can never gain a thing. I let them know I have a fast metabolism, and I am in no way bulimic. You've got to love yourself and just start thinking and eating differently. It's easy for people to tell us how skinny we are and lucky for them, I don't think people tell them on a daily basis, "wow look how fat you are, I can't even wrap my hand around your wrist!" I hated when they did that. I try not to exercise because I don't want to risk losing any weight, but at our age, we need to stay in shape. Believe me, I won't step foot in a gym. I'm afraid to hear "she doesn't belong here." Hope I gave you a bit of hope and things to think about! Take care!
    jessica1 Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Hi you need perictian it simulate appetite and makes you ain weight
    VenusSky1979 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2007, 05:17 PM
    I am so sorry people do that to you. I am one of those people, I have a very close friend and a cousin who are both like you. I am ashamed to say that I have made comments to them. Although, I must say I tend to comment on their size rather than complain about it. The only time it is OK for someone to say something is if they love you and are worried due to dramatic weightloss. Strangers and aquaintances should never ever comment on your weight. It is none of their business and it makes them look petty and jealous (which is exactly what they are)!

I am actually 5'3" with a normal, healthy weight of 150lbs. That is due to my body type (curvy, big boobs and butt) but not all people are bilt that way! See how different each person is??

I do agree that you should get your thyroid checked and also, it is very possible that you just have an overactive metabolism, which is great! But you may gain weight after having children (if that is a future plan) and with age. My great grandmother is 93 and has been under 100lbs her entire life... she is healthy and strong! Remember that!!

Good luck and Love your body!!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 05:29 PM
    When was your last physical? Have you had a thyroid panel done? Did it come back normal?

I too know where you are coming from, I was like that until I had my 4th child at the age of 38.

I am surprised you have not developed any good comebacks to the nosey people who make comments to you. Things I used to like were "Yeah, it's great, I don't have to worry about what I eat." While they are eating a salad and I am having a 4 course meal. Other things like "I love it, all of the in-style clothes just fit me perfectly and don't make me look big."

There are a million of them that you can develop to shut them up.

Just remember that this may change as you get older. Enjoy being skinny while you can.
    pieisgood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaAmore
    I'm 25 5'2 and 95 pounds and i want to gain weight so bad, but it feels like such a struggle to do so. When i eat a little i am 95, when i eat normal it's 95, when i eat a lot it's still 95! I've been skinny my whole life and even though i'm confident, i hate my body sometimes and isn't because i look bad, it is because people comment on it ALL the time! Really it's just women that do, they seem so consumed with how i look and i wish they weren't. I get so angry about it, i'm about to start telling the next woman who says something to me that she really needs to lose some weight and get the hell over mine! Thats how upset it makes me. But i can't do that. I really believe all woman are beautiful in there own way no matter what size they are but i feel weak and tired of fighting it anymore. Why is it ok for people to criticize me and make me feel ugly all the time?? I just want to gain weight to feel more "ideal" and shut everyone up. I hated my body when i was a kid and struggle to love it now because of so much pressure all the time. I just want to feel normal and wish i could feel beautiful for more than an hour a day. I want my thyroid checked cause i heard that can cause u to not gain weight. But i have been this way my whole life, is it possible to have an overactive thyroid your whole life and not know it? I can't just eat tons of food because i have stomach problems, (and thats a whole other exausting problem that i don't even have a real known reason for that either). The protein shakes didn't work for me, but maybe i just wasn't diligent enough. They tasted disgusting and they hurt my stomach. I considered trying some birth control that "makes some women gain weight", but thats not a for sure thing anyway and i really hate the idea of getting on birth control, i like feeling natural and in tune with my cycles. Eating more DOES NOT work for me. I go through times i eat constantly and my weight just stays the same. I'm usually anywhere from 93-95. But the past couple days, i've had no appetite and feel like i lost a couple pounds and that is very unusual for me, so it's on my mind even more lately. So if anyone has some real sound, actual productive, unique advice for my unusual problem, i would so very appreciate, from the bottom of my heart your advice on this. Thanks to anyone who actually got this far on my "extremely long question". : )
    I need to get fat to but I'm a dude and I'm only 13 I find being fat very cool I need help too
    skinnyone Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 8, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Hi I'm 19 I weight 105 pounds but I'm a 5'5 I havev always wanted to have the right figure to be happy with myself I tried eating a lot but I just can't keep it up.. It makes me unhappy casuse most of my friends gained weight over their years of high school but I'm the only one who just stays they same I just hate me self so much everybody talk about models are skinny I should go for that but I just want to gain at least 10 pounds

Only ANSWER the question on this page here. Do NOT ASK a question.

You are NOT logged in.
    skinnyone Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 8, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Hi I'm 19 I weight 105 pounds but I'm a 5'5 I havev always wanted to have the right figure to be happy with myself I tried eating a lot but I just can't keep it up.. It makes me unhappy casuse most of my friends gained weight over their years of high school but I'm the only one who just stays they same I just hate me self so much everybody talk about models are skinny I should go for that but I just want to gain at least 10 pounds

You are NOT logged in.

You are NOT logged in.

You are NOT logged in.
    strikly low Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 04:13 AM
    Hey mate... I have the same problem... get comments.. n stuff like that... I can eat wateva I want... even a bowl of fat... and I won't even gain a gram.. some people say were lucky 2 not gain any weight.. but they probably don't know how we feel... sorry I can't help you mate.. im telling you I can truly feel you pain... peace out
    JavanLee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 04:50 PM
    I have the same problem. I have been trying to gain weight for awhile. I'm not gaining it for anyone but myself. I can't fit into clothes. I am 5'6 90 to 95 lbs. My weight runs in my family we are pretty much all thin. The only one that is heavier is my older sister. I'm 18 and have been wanting to gain weight for at least 7 years. I feel that I've tried a lot of things. I am fortunate that my friends and family and pretty much everyone else in my town no that I am not meaning to be this thin. When some one makes fun of my weight my friends stick up for me and ask them have you seen her eat? Once you have seen her eat then you can make fun of her. Thank god I grew up in a small town. I don't have stomach problems like some of you I feel very healthy. The only thing I have problems with is being sick a lot. I love my sleep though, I already feel old. It seems like every time I eat I want to take a nap after. My boyfriend thinks I'm a little weird because I can eat supper at home then go to his house and eat supper there to. I can't help that I love food and need to eat all the time. Even if I'm sleeping and I get hungry I have to go eat or else I can't get back to sleep. A little odd I no but what else am I suppose to do. I didn't realise there were so many people out there like me. You always see those lose weight diets but why don't you see though gain weight diets? I no the only thing that would make me the happiest is to weigh over 100lbs. I did weigh 100lbs once and I got so excited but I forgot that I had a heavy hoody on and some other close you no. My mom laughed at me because of it and thought I was odd. Even though she is the same way as me she tries not to worry about it like I do. Well I'm not sure I helped you out any but at least you no your not the only one out there and everyone has a story like your they just might be slightly different.

If you find a way to gain wait I'm always looking... Good Luck!
    JavanLee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 04:51 PM

Oh and also I feel that I am always cold even during the summer. Do you feel the same?
    Adeehsar Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Dec 7, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Trust me, you aren't weird or abnormal. I am the same way. I dranked protein shakes; then I would eat a half of gallon of ice cream every day. It didn't work. But then I started marching band, which is very physically demanding. Believe it or not, I gained 4 pounds! Because I was more active, I ate more. I gain more muscle, which weights more than fat. I hope this information helps. Good luck!
    GiveMeFiftyFeet Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 05:28 PM

Im 5'3, 20, and I weigh 110. This is the most I have ever weighed too! There is nothing wrong with you, you just have high metabolism. I tried to stuff myself with food and eat more than I usually did and nothing happened. Let your body be! People who are fat or "big boned" are just jealous that they don't look as good as you. Keep your head up.
    kz3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 04:00 PM

Same here too. I'm 5'4, 22, and weigh something around 107. I often hear comments (not usually criticism) about being skinny and I was self-conscious about it as a teenager. That really is the toughest time since there's a lot of identity issues going on and lots of insecurities, it's just part of teenage psychology! I also tried protein shakes-with ice cream- to no avail. Even in college I noticed many girls (and guys) started putting on wait thanks to dorm cafeteria food (eating big greasy hamburgers everyday) and alcohol but it had very little effect on my weight if any. Mostly the food made everyone's stomach hurt because it probably wasn't the best quality... I have a severe sweet tooth (and I thought too much sugar was supposed to make a person fat?? ). I also get cold easily, and feel sleepy after meals (but don't we all?). Stomach problems--I developed lactose intolerance in my early teenage years- I blame it on puberty (all kinds of changes going on in ones boyd).

One of my best friends--a guy--has the same problems, he's quite thin and quite tall. He's still a skinny guy at 22 but I bet he'll fill out with age and have one of the sweetest bods of men in their 40s! He also had (has?) stomach problems but I think it's mostly because he eats a lot of junk food? Skinny folks... high metabolisms... more sensitive tummies?

Being physically active--playing sports, going to the gym (which I'm rarely motivated to do unless I have a buddy), hiking/trekking by foot all seem to be the only things to make any impact--likely because it increases appetite and muscle mass as well.

Truthfully when I studied abroad in Europe I felt most content with my body, as people were generally fit or thin looking and just a different concept of the body than in the states. I was part of the norm! Bodies are different and we've just got to love ours [hippie heart coming out... ] and take good care of them so that we are healthy, rather than pollute them with crazy things to get a certain look. Our bodies are our temples! And as we get older we will be living the sweet life if we're still thin and perhaps younger looking. If people still want to make you self-conscious just... tell them to suck it!

I think a lot of it too is in how you carry yourself. With good posture you look more fit and confident rather than looking like a waif... another incentive to workout/do yoga... which I keep telling myself I ought to start up again... maybe next week... probably not... :(
    Laceypop793 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 04:35 AM

I'm twelve and I have a similar problem. For two years (since I was 10) I haven't been able to keep my weight an ounce above or below my weight. If I eat too much then I get really sick, possibly for days. If I get sick, then I have to eat and eat and eat to get to my original weight. I don't know why this happened, but it really scares me, because my body isn't done "changing" and I don't want to end up anorexic because my body can't function without a certain weight! So anyway... I have no clue how this can help you, but at least there is someone who is like you, and you're not alone.
    kelley2511 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 05:39 PM
    I too know exactly how you feel.I am 5'4" and 95 lbs and 34 years old. I have been this same weight my entire teenage and adult life.People will tell you that it will change when you get older but for me it never did.The only time I was able to gain weght was when I was pregnant with my twin girls.and even then I had trouble gaining it.I agree that you should get your thyroid checked as I am about to do the same.I also hate when people make comments and say that I must not eat and look at me an assume I have an eating didorder.I have grown to accept it over the years but lately it has been bothering me so much that I will go have myself checked out.I tried the protein shakes too and nothing... and mine were like 1800 calories a shot.. good luck and if you go and find out it is your thyroid I would love to hear about it
    refinn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaAmore View Post
    I'm 25 5'2 and 95 pounds and i want to gain weight so bad, but it feels like such a struggle to do so. When i eat a little i am 95, when i eat normal it's 95, when i eat a lot it's still 95! I've been skinny my whole life and even though i'm confident, i hate my body sometimes and isn't because i look bad, it is because people comment on it ALL the time! Really it's just women that do, they seem so consumed with how i look and i wish they weren't. I get so angry about it, i'm about to start telling the next woman who says something to me that she really needs to lose some weight and get the hell over mine! Thats how upset it makes me. But i can't do that. I really believe all woman are beautiful in there own way no matter what size they are but i feel weak and tired of fighting it anymore. Why is it ok for people to criticize me and make me feel ugly all the time?? I just want to gain weight to feel more "ideal" and shut everyone up. I hated my body when i was a kid and struggle to love it now because of so much pressure all the time. I just want to feel normal and wish i could feel beautiful for more than an hour a day. I want my thyroid checked cause i heard that can cause u to not gain weight. But i have been this way my whole life, is it possible to have an overactive thyroid your whole life and not know it? I can't just eat tons of food because i have stomach problems, (and thats a whole other exausting problem that i don't even have a real known reason for that either). The protein shakes didn't work for me, but maybe i just wasn't diligent enough. They tasted disgusting and they hurt my stomach. I considered trying some birth control that "makes some women gain weight", but thats not a for sure thing anyway and i really hate the idea of getting on birth control, i like feeling natural and in tune with my cycles. Eating more DOES NOT work for me. I go through times i eat constantly and my weight just stays the same. I'm usually anywhere from 93-95. But the past couple days, i've had no appetite and feel like i lost a couple pounds and that is very unusual for me, so it's on my mind even more lately. So if anyone has some real sound, actual productive, unique advice for my unusual problem, i would so very appreciate, from the bottom of my heart your advice on this. Thanks to anyone who actually got this far on my "extremely long question". : )
    OK... all of thiis stuff that people are telliin yew iisznt answeriin your questiion... fiirst of all ii would liike to saii that ii feel your paiin because ii went through the same thiing until ii found ENSURE PLUS. I came across iit while ii was doiin research and ii read so many good comments on iit about how good iit wiill work so I decided to give it a try and guess what? It did work... nd let me tell you this... ii've been skinny all my liife and ii know that you eventually get tiired of the feeliing and want to put on weiight... so ii hope that you take my advice iin buyiing ensure plus... iit'sz guaranteed to work... iit iisz best iif you drink a bottle after a meal as it will help gain more weight... iif not, 2 bottles a day iiz good enough... good luck =]
    omera_omera Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 06:08 AM

I am 21 years old but I am under weight I;e 35 and I am as thin as 12 years girl

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Gain Weight [ 6 Answers ]

Ok people I'm 19 and I weigh 120... I was worndering if there's Any quick way or what I need to do to gain weight... I would like to get to atleast145-150... How long would that take me?following the steps I need to take?

How Can I Gain Weight [ 2 Answers ]

How can I gain 10- 20 pounds within the next 2 weeks can someone help me are there any pills or anything I can do to gain weight

How to gain weight? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm about to turn 15 on December 22nd. I'm a male, 6 feet, 1 inch. I'm quite tall however I'm only 130 pounds. My parents both doctors don't have time to take me to a gym to work out plus they said that I'm too young to go to the gym. My mother carried me to a gym after I begged her about 2 months...

How Can I Gain Weight? [ 1 Answers ]

I Am 16 Years Old And Have A One Year Old Son. Before I Became Pregnant With Him I Weighed 115 Pounds. During The Pregnancy I Weighed 140 Pounds And I Now Weigh 104 Pounds. I Hate How Skinny I Look, I Hate The Way My Clothes Fit Me And I Have Never Had A Problem With The Way I Look But It Now Seems...

View more questions Search