Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paul Marchesseault Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Craftsman tractor starter repair - flywheel removal
    I have a Sears Craftsman lawn tractor with a 19.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. The plastic toothed wheel on the starter that engages the flywheel is completely stripped. I have a repair kit but am having trouble removing the starter. Can I safely remove the flywheel instead. I can see that if I lift off the flywheel I can replace all of the parts at the top of the starter but I'm worried that I won't be able to get the flywheel back in place.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Your Sears is a lot different than mine but you can certainly try your idea. That plastic gear is not the flywheel, it's a starter bendix and it slames into the flywheel when you turn the key. It is spring loaded so when you remove that small ring its going to pop up and come apart. Surprised you can get the starter off, only two bolts and a few wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD lawn tractor starter problem [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a MTD lawn tractor 12.5 briggs have the same problem that was posted earlier. I did jump start it and the starter works. I changed the switch and solenoid. The switch will kill the engine. When I turn it to start it will not engage the starter. If I jump across solenoid which is under the...

Craftsman Weed Eater Starter Rope [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old Craftsman 17" cut 28cc Weed Eater, Model No. 358.797130. How do I install a new starter rope? Is there a manual available?

Craftsman tractor repair [ 8 Answers ]

I am repairing a craftsman 12.5 hp tractor.. I have installed a new battery,spark plug,drained gas tank, put on a new fuel filter, and cleaned the carburater... still won't start... please help me out... by the way this tractor is 12 yr. old

Craftsman Brush Wacker Starter Rope [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman 32cc Brush Wacker, Model No. 358795800. How do I install a new starter rope? Is there a manual available?

Craftsman Weedeater Starter Rope Replacement [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace the starter rope on my Craftsman Weedeater. Can you tell me how to remove the clutch assembly from the shaft?

View more questions Search