Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kamakani Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2003, 01:46 AM
    Bicycle Tire Pressure
    I recently bought a bike and read the tire pressure to be between 40 and 65. This seems high to me as the pressure in a car tire is around 32 psi. In any case, what pressure is best and what determines whether the pressure should be 40 or more up to 65?
    Thank you,
    Rick
    mtranter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2003, 10:09 AM
    Bicycle Tire Pressure
    [tr]Definately go for the higher pressure if you are using the bike (I guess it's a MTB) but maybe use 50psi for off-roading. Hope this answers your question.[/tr]

Jul 21, 2003, 01:45 PM
    Bicycle Tire Pressure
    Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. :)
    kanga1915 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2003, 10:35 AM
    Bicycle Tire Pressure
    If you are still looking for an opinion on tire pressure, ill throw in my 2 cents. The pressure you indicated is a common pressure number used on most bicycles (except serious road bikes). The type of terrain you ride on dictates the pressure you should use. For on road riding you would use the higher pressure. For off road riding you would use a lower pressure. Hope this is somewhat of a help to you. Have a great and safe ride.

Sep 2, 2003, 10:54 AM
    Bicycle Tire Pressure
    Yes, that does help.
    Thanks
    Rick
    mamaloney Posts: 24, Reputation: 0

Nov 5, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Fifty is okay 4 most riding
    waynenergy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 09:50 AM
    Hi ! I am new here in this website> Hope I can answer to your queries and at the same time if I have dubt, I can get help here. Thanks!
    waynenergy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 09:56 AM
    I can answer this question for you why the pressure for car is lower than bike.
    First you need to understand that air pressure does not associate with the volume or size.
    It does not means that when the tyre is bigger, the pressure is higher. In fact, A racer (bicycle) tyre is smaller than MTB but the pressure is much higher than MTB. When the tyre is small, You need higher pressure to withstand the weight to prevent it to be decompress when you sit on the bicycle. Hopes this help.
    jeffhamiltoncpa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 11:37 AM
    Depends on several factors, including your intended use of the bike. Sometimes it's best to set pressure in the middle of the range. But check with your local bike shop for best advice. (It's free.)
    cfpax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 11:47 AM
    Just for comparison -- a road bike tire is typically inflated to 90 to 120 psi. Use the higher number if you are heavier, the lower number if you are a lightweight. Also, the narrower the tire, the higher the pressure. Racing bikes often use even higher pressures.
    A mountian bike is a different creature. It needs to flex to "dig in" to uneven surfaces. It's also wider. So mountain bikes are often inflated in the 50-60 psi range. If you do a search on "bicycle tire pressure" you will probably find all sorts of technical articles.
    Car tires are much wider and so take a lower pressure.
    john12121 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2011, 02:40 AM
    Actually proper pressure depends upon your and cycle weight and the surface you are riding .More the weight,more the pressure required in your cycle tire.. You can go fine with high pressure on smother surface ,whereas on rough surface ,more pressure will actually slow you down.Just research yourself with different tire pressure and surfaces and find the best one that seems to suit you and the roads you ride nicely.About car tire pressure, volume of car tire is significantly more than cycle tire and hence require less pressure overall..
    custom bikes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bicycle Tire [ 3 Answers ]

I have an almost new (400 mile) Michelin Erilium bicycle tire in which the wire bead separated from the side of the tire. The tire was pressurized to 112 pounds. What woulod cause this failure? :mad:

03 GMC Sierra HD Tire Size Upgrade [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased new tires for my 03 GMC 2500HD Duramax Diesel. The stock size is 245/75 and I moved up to a 285/75. This changed the ratio on my speedometer, Driver info Center, and Odometer. The DIC cannot correctly calculate MPG, range, or average fuel economy anymore, also the speedometer...

Discount Tire [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everyone I had bent my rim and I took it to Discount Tire to get it fixed. They sent it off to Cali to get re chromed and fixed. They told me it would take 2-3 weeks and told my husband 3-4 weeks. The job actually took 3 months, they gave me a discount on it and were really rude because they...

Tire pressure [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the correct tire pressure for my 2000 Mercury Mountaineer (AKA Ford Explorer). The sticker on the inside of the driver door says the correct pressure is 26psi, but that would have been of the original Firestone tires (that were recalled) The truck currently has Goodyear...

View more questions Search