Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    btang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 12:55 AM
    Is it possible to fix a leak without turning off water source?
    I live in an apartment and the water shut off valve is in the apt next to mine; in order to reach the valve, we would have to break through dry wall.:eek:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 02:45 AM
    Unless you have any shut-off valves near the source of the leaks, you may just have to go through the drywall.

There is also the possibility that there may be a general shut-off valve in the basement, whereas, you wouldn't need to go through drywall? Although, using this valve might affect other apartments?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 25, 2007, 07:23 AM
    One of the only ways to contain a pressure leak without shutting off the water would be to use a saddle clamp,(see image). I have heard about freezing the pipes but have never tried it. Regards, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 07:33 AM
    There are different ways, including the freeze packs. Post back with details, maybe a picture.
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

May 25, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Depends a lot on how much room you have to work with and the type of leak.
    If it is just fixing a hole on the side of a pipe a clamp similar to what speedball suggested works great.
    Freezing kits generally don't work for leaks as the water will not freeze if it is running.
    They are good for changing valves or fittings that are not leaking.
    If you live in an apartment call the super or the owner. I have had tenants try to fix leaks when they didn't know how. It took quite a bit of my time to repair the extra damage. Most landlords will repairs leaks quickly as the damage and costs of water add up quickly.
    If you describe the leak a little better it will be easier to give you an answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fix leak at joint from city meter to home [ 2 Answers ]

Have leak at joint where the city water comes into the house. Will silicone caulk work?

How to fix small leak in bathroom basin [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to fix a small leak in a bathroom basin? There's a small pool of water just under the bend in the basin pipe. The faucets don't leak. I've checked under the basin, and both copper pipes are dry. There's water visible around the top of the basin pipe, where it joins the...

Water source [ 2 Answers ]

I am turning my garage into two bedrooms and a bath. Problem is the floor is concrete and the closest water source already plumbed in is about 40 feet away. However, the water line to the main house goes along the outside of the garage wall. Can I tap into it at that source instead of going to...

Shower leak found - how to fix.. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a square,fiberglass, one drain shower. I has had a leak for a while,but just noticed. Water is coming from the drain, not a leaking pipe. I believe there was to be some silicon or some other sealant between the shower base and the drain itself, but none is present. Can I simply dry it...

View more questions Search