Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meriah20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 08:41 AM
    GE Fridge, won't stop running
    Hello. I have had my GE side my side fridge for a few months. It was working fine and the people before me had no problems with it. I went grocery shopping a few weeks ago and really stocked up the freezer. Ever since then, it seems as if the fridge doesn't stop running. We have adjusted the settings but nothing is working to make it stop running. The freezer is super cold, the refrigerator is cold but not really cold. Such as the milk doesn't seem as cold but the veggies in he bins at the bottom are almost frozen, they have frost on it. My bag of salad had frozen pieces in it. I have both settings set at 5 and it goes up to 9. Can anyone be of help? Thank you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 17, 2007, 10:21 AM
    I guess the freezer is working double time because it has so much in it. Do you have a separate setting for the freezer, sometimes it doesn't have to be as cold as you would think to keep frozen. Just a thought.
    meriah20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 10:28 AM
    The freezer does have a separate setting. We have them both set at 5 where 9 is the highest. Doesn't the air from the freezer blow into the fridge part so if I would turn down the freezer, would it make the fridge even warmer?
    galen Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 03:48 PM
    We are having a similar problem - mius the freezing food and recently full freezer - Ours is adequately full - not stuffed and not bare. The fridge turns on like every 15 minutes. Not next to a stove or exterior wall.
    We are going to clean the coils tonight and check if there is a leak around the gaskets. Freezer set at lowest point, fridge set at 3 (9 is highest)
    Other troubleshooting - replace coolant and check thermostat.
    We have used too much energy this month and it has only been 11 days since meter read. Yes we have the AC going but we have never used this much energy before - also unplugged the fridge and watched the meter it was amazing how much it slowed down.
    Sorry to ramble - anyway, thanks
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

May 19, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Make sure your not blocking any of the air vents in your freezer. Most side by side refrigerators blow cold air from the freezer side over into the refrigerator side. If you block or restrict the air flow, your refrigerator won't be as cold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unit outside will not stop running [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have a Lennoxx AC/ Heating Unit that is run by electric. The unit outside will not stop running even though the thermostat is turned off. I have turned off the breaker for now. Any idea what could be causing this ?

Heat won't stop running [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house, well new to me. It has a heat pump system. I'm not familiar with them at all and need some help. I took out my old mechanical thermostat and replaced it with a programmable digital thermostat. Now my problem is that the heat won't quit running. I don't know if I have...

Heater won't stop running [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Frifidaire central heating & air conditioning system 2 years old. Today we set thermostat to cool and the heater continues to run and will not shut off by thermostat control. Pulled the thermostat and heat continues to run. Currently off as I switched off the breaker at the outside unit....

Tractor won't STOP running... [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased my tractor 4 months ago. Today as I was mowing my yard, when I wanted to stop, the brake would not engage and the tractor kept moving. When I tried to re-start the tractor, although the tractor was in park, the tractor began to move again. Any suggestion as to the cause or diagnosis to...

View more questions Search