Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    browndj1642 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Weak air flow
    I have Rheem 90 Plus imperial about 15 years old. I notice compared to newer or my neighbors systems I have very weak air flow. It will heat and cool the house, but seem like it takes forever. I checked to see if my blower was moving freely and it moves with the slightest touch which tells me the bearings are still good. One person told me to clean the fins. I have clean the surrounding air ducts. Is there anyway to improve air flow?

Thanks
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2007, 10:37 PM
    Well this problem could be caused by several things, the system may be improperly sized, blower motor needs to be sped up, dirty evap. Coil or dirty filter. Has the system always ran this way?
    browndj1642 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by browndj1642
    I have Rheem 90 Plus imperial about 15 years old. I notice compared to newer or my neighbors systems I have very weak air flow. It will heat and cool the house, but seem like it takes forever. I checked to see if my blower was moving freely and it moves with the slightest touch which tells me the bearings are still good. One person told me to clean the fins. I have clean the surrounding air ducts. Is there anyway to improve air flow?

thanks
    I have been in this house for 3 years and it has always run like this. The blower is currently wired to blow high for heat and medium for cool. The air filter is changed on a regular basis. You said it could be a dirty coil or evap, can this be clean with compressed air or other method.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 03:00 PM
    I would run the A/c on high and heat on med. Is it possible that you have a return duct collapsed? To clean the coil you'll need to remove the cover, do not use air! They sell self rinsing coil cleaner that you spray on the coil and let soak, take a tooth brush and lightly remove dirt, be careful not to smash the fins.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older toilets -- weak swirl, weak flush [ 24 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. Our toilets are original to the house, 20-plus years old. When flushed, the swirl isn't strong enough to completely flush the bowl. The bowl does NOT overflow, but it has to be flushed multiple times. We have very hard water where we live, despite having a regularly...

AC problems with air flow [ 7 Answers ]

The AC unit is a heat pump with propane heat. The make is a Trane heat pump. This year I turned on the AC unit and no air is blowing out of the vents. Cleaned the filter, checked the composer out side and every thing is running. The downstairs is colded but the upstairs is hot about 85 decrees. ...

Air flow measurement issue [ 1 Answers ]

We are currently measuring air flow by pressure difference. (ie) by creating a ventury in the path of the air to create a pressure difference. The problem that we are facing with this approcah is that if the flow is very less, then we need to create a very small ventury,this creates excessive...

No air flow from registers [ 6 Answers ]

I have no airflow from my registers. My compressor is running and my AHU is running. Any idea what the problem could be? I have shut the unit off for now. The problem exists on heat and cool and fan only mode.

View more questions Search