Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skaz421 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 07:23 PM
    GFI Outlet Has No Power
    I have a GFI outlet in my garage that has no power. It displays a yellow light; all of my other GFI outlets display a green light.

There are two buttons on the outlet; I can press one to disable the outlet, the other turns it back on, and it displays the yellow light, with no power.

There are outdoor outlets that connect to the GFI outlet. There is nothing plugged into them; they have no power either.

We had the house built two years ago. Ever since then, if the weather outdoors was wet, the GFI outlet would trip when I tried to use an outdoor outlet. I was always able to successfully reset it, until now. The weather now is dry.

The GFI outlet was replaced by an electrician not long after we bought the house, but nothing changed.

I plugged two small (1500W) electrical heaters into an outddor outlet three weeks ago, to heat my greenhouse. They immediately tripped the GFI outlet, and I haven't been able to reset it since.

I've tried re-setting the circuit breaker to the GFI outlet several times.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 20, 2007, 08:23 AM
    It could just be a bad GFI. Try removing the wires that leave the outlet keeping just the feed lines. Can you reset it now? If not replace the GFI.
    skaz421 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Ballenberg 1 - thanks for your response.

This problem is taking a strange twist.

I was going to disconnect the wires going to the outside outlets, as Ballengerb 1 suggested.

I told my wife that I would have to toggle circuit breakers until I found the one going to the GFI.

She asked me to show her what I was talking about. When I showed her the GFI, she said, "Oh, off is on".

I asked her what she meant, and she said that when the electrician came to replace the GFI, he told her he was wiring it backwards. When the LED was out, the outlet had power.

Sure enough, when I pressed the Reset button, the LED went out, and the outlet had power. If I press the Test button, the yellow LED comes on, and the outlet has no power. The electrician wired it backwards, intentionally! He must have had a reason.

One problem remains. There are three outlets that run off the garage GFI. Two of them are just above the ground, on the front lawn - they're GFIs themselves.

They still have no power, even when the garage GFI has power. Their Test and Reset buttons don't do anything, and they don't 'click'. There is no power to the outlets.

The third outlet that runs off the garage GFI is mounted on an outside wall. It's not a GFI. It now has power, when the garage GFI has power.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 20, 2007, 03:18 PM
    "Sure enough, when I pressed the Reset button, the LED went out, and the outlet had power. If I press the Test button, the yellow LED comes on, and the outlet has no power. " Actually, this is how it should be working. The other outlets do not need to be GFI also since they are tied to the garage GRI, they maintain the same ground fault. Your problem lies between the good one in the gargae and the very first GFI outside. They are all probably in series so once one is bad the rest down the line don't get power. Just start taking them apart and testing. 90% it's the first one.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 06:19 AM
    The Older GFI's would reset with No power at line side. The New ones Can only be reset
    if Line voltage still pressent. Some GFI's Lite when They have power, Some lite when they are tripped.
    2 X 1500 watts=3000 watts,
    3000/120=25 Amps It should have tripped, and may now be defective.
    For Outdoor GFI's on house, I like to put GFI inside(out of the weather, and when going on vacaton you can trip from inside, to eleminate power from being borrowed.
    Ballengeb1 's got it.
    These GFI's in series could be redone 2 ways.
    1)1 GFI at first outlet, and regular outlets downline. Or
    2)Tie all line and loads together downstream from first, place on line side , that way only that gfi trips.
    Lights working backwards, does not mean wired backwards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfi outlet [ 6 Answers ]

I just moved into the house in May. I believe the gfi outlet was working when the inspector inspected our house, but it seemed soon after it stopped working. We tried to press the reset button just in case the test button was pressed and nothing happens (meaning it won't depress or anything). Just...

Gfi outlet doesn't work [ 1 Answers ]

GFI outlet in bathroom doesn't have any power. Test button works, as does reset. Flipped off breaker in garage for quite a few seconds and then turned back on. Still no power?

GFI Outlet [ 1 Answers ]

Will a GFI outlet provide proper protection if it is installed in an existing 2-wire, 120 VAC electrical system?

GFI Outlet Trips [ 4 Answers ]

We have an exterior GFI outlet that started continually tripping and then quit altogether. We installed a new one but it also is tripping frequently. Anyone have any suggestions please.

GFI outlet vs girlfriend breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a difference functionally between a GFI outlet and a GFI breaker? I am installing a jetted tub in the basement. The water pump has the two loose wires (+ground) and indicates the connection to be made in junction box and be protected by a GFI. A GFI for my type breaker is $300. I had...

View more questions Search