Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    detroitdiesel Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Sep 7, 2005, 01:36 AM
    Wiring not color coded
    Hi. New to site think its great

Recently purchased home, built in 1957. I am installing new fixtures in the home and noticed the wiring is not color coded.

What I have is 2 black wires and a bare copper . What I'm trying to figure out what is the "white" and "black" .

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :p
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2005, 02:37 AM
    Using a voltage tester, you can test each black wire and go acros the bare, only one will show voltage. There are also touchless testers that indicate which wire is hot.

If you are changing fixtures, you can remove one of the sockets from an old fixture, strip the leads about an half inch, install a small light bulb in the socket , and use it as a tester.

Again, touch one of the socket wires to the bare, and the other to the wires in the box, the hot one will cause the light bulb to light up.

Before doing any testing, be sure to know which circuit breaker or fuse shuts off the power, so that while working with wires you can work safely. When ready to test, keep the wires clear of each other, and the bare wire, and the metal box. Cap the wires with wirenuts , and only remove just before testing.

Once you find the hot wire, use some white tape to identify the other wire as the neutral wire.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2005, 08:30 AM
    Every home owner that doesn't want to be at the mercy of repair man should have one of the touchless testors. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Great for trouble shooting. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. It is also much safer, not requiring bare hot contacts and watching both where you hands are and the meter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need name of older movie [ 2 Answers ]

It most probably was on television late 70's early 80's. There was a woman who cured the sick by touching them. I remember one scene in which she stopped a little girl's nosebleed. I know it's not much, please help if you can. Thanks!!

Dog ear wax color [ 4 Answers ]

My lab has just gotten over an ear infection ( been over two weeks). I cleaned his ears with a Q tip just as labman mentioned in a previous post and noticed the wax color was reddish-brown Is this normal color or due to the infection? He had a lot of build up and I don't know if I got it all...

Color coded wires [ 4 Answers ]

This is a two part question: 1. I have a 28 year old Carrier furnace model #31MM220120 and need to know which wire color matches with the newer motor colors. In the furnace there are wires such as orange, white, beige... How do I match up the old color coded wires with the new color coded wires? ...

Color Zap [ 1 Answers ]

I covered my gray with Natural Instincts Costal Dune color. It won't wash out and now I have gray roots. I'd like to go back to my gray color. Am I correct that I can use the Color Zap and not have to apply new color? Somebody told me that color removers would just turn my hair orange and I'd...

16 Bit Color [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I'm using W98SE--How do I get to that graph bar that shows if I'm using 16 bit color or more--I can't remember how to get to that page-I would like to slide it up a bit higher--Thanks so much--

View more questions Search