Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mevogel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2005, 07:20 PM
    Stuck handles on compression faucet
    I am attempting to change the seat washer on a compression faucet, however the faucets (circa 1955) appear to be stuck and can't be removed for access to the stem.

Is there a plumbing tool, product or process to help remove the handle from the stem?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2005, 09:05 PM
    Is it the handles themselves, or the screw holding them in place? Either way, clean things up with a wire brush and apply a penetrating oil. I usually use a silicone lube. Next, tap on the stuck part with a small hammer. If it is the handle, you might even try a small wheel puller if you can make one fit. Otherwise pry on it. You might even try prying on it with one hand while hitting it with a hammer in the other hand.

You may even be able to unscrew the valve with the handle on, but turned all the way. May need the hammer and penetrating oil again.
    mevogel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2005, 09:19 PM
    It is the handles. The screws come out easily, but the handles are stuck in place on the stem. I didn't want to muscle it too much and break anything and have a bigger problem.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2005, 10:52 PM
    I am more into nuts and bolts than pipes. Pull hard enough on an old rusty bolt, and it twists off. Work it over good with a hammer, and it may come loose. Broken bolts come out, you can pitch them. Working in a brake shop for a few years refined what I know about loosening stuff. Bleed screws break easily. May as well apply loosening techniques before you break it.

Hitting stuff with a hammer to loosen it is an art. Too easy is a waste of time. Too hard, and you bust it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2005, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mevogel
    I am attempting to change the seat washer on a compression faucet, however the faucets (circa 1955) appear to be stuck and can't be removed for access to the stem.

Is there a plumbing tool, product or process to help remove the handle from the stem?
    Yes, most plumbing supply houses carry a handle puller that's just made for removing stubborn handles. They work on the same principal as a wheel puller. I've carried one in my repair kit for years. If you can't locate one near you click on: http://www.siouxchief.com/B_Products_Prods.cfm?ID=57 Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting rid of love handles [ 10 Answers ]

Hello. I just want to ask if u know of a certain exercise that could help get rid of my love handles in the hips. Thank you.

Replacing top-mount compression faucet. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi: I am going to try (first-ever attempt) to replace my top-mount compression faucet (4" Centerset) in the bathroom sink. Anybody have a good set of instructions and/or tips? I have already sprayed WD-40 to the lock nuts under the sink since they are extremely rusted... planning on keeping...

Love Handles [ 3 Answers ]

How do you get rid of love handles? I hate mine! Thanks! :)

I need help on improving my handles and shot [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to improve my handles and shot? My coach has me playing a 4 because I do not have handles! I am extremely fast and I am good at driving the lane. I would make a good 2 or 3, please give me your ideas. 1- What position do you play? I play a 2 or 3, my coach has me at 4 2-...

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

View more questions Search