Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marybeth02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Signing over parental rights in Missouri
    My husband and I live in MO. We are married and have three children(two together, one I had in highschool). My husband is the sole provider for our children. He also, has a four year old son that he does not see. The child's mother does not allow us to see him. My husband pays quite a bit in child support, which was ordered when his ex was going to school. She now has a nursing degree and is making a very good living. We have requested that DFS reajust the amount(It has been the mandatory 36 months) we have not heard from them at all. We can not afford a lawyer to force visitation. Plus, she is a very vindictive person and she will bring up all kinds of horrible things in court if we go. The point is that my husband wants to just give up his rights and let her and her boyfriend raise him. BEcause we won't be able to afford to see him for a long while. What do we do to sign over those rights and do we need to contact her first. How do we go about this? Thank you.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 8, 2007, 10:06 AM
    He can't just relinquish rights to get out of child support, no state allows that. Only of she asked for his rights to be terminated, to allow her spouse to adopt the child for example, could he do so. The best you can do is get a reevaluation due to change of financial circumstances of the child's mother to get his payements adjusted, and try to come up with a visitation agreement or have the old one enforced.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2007, 11:58 AM
    First signing over any rights has nothing to do with child support at all, it seems he already gave up his rights by not fighting for the right to see his child. But rights is just that, right to see the child, right to visit the child and so on. If her new husband wants to adopt, then they can adopt and you can get out of paying child support.

But I am sorry making excuses for the ex being mean does not change anything it merely means you don't want to fight that hard for the child.

But as long as the ex wants to collect child support there is nothing he can do but pay.

If you can not afford an attorney check out legal aid societies, she can be fined and held in contempt of court for each time she refuses visitation so you need to hold her to it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2007, 12:06 PM
    You didn't read the many threads here on this issue, did you? I really don't understand how you can think you can just say I give up this child and think that's all there is to it.

As you have been told, parental rights and parental responsbility are different issues. If you want the child support modified, you have to petition the court to have that done. If you want to force better visitation, that's also a family court matter.

Instead of abandoning this child, fight for him. But don't think you can just sign a paper and be done with him. Ain't going to happen.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Yes, there would not be 1000 dead beat dads sitting in jail right now, if they could just sign a paper and get out of paying child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Signing over parental rights [ 8 Answers ]

OK well My Boyfriend has a daughter with this women, he pays support but she will not allow him to see his daughter she leaves him nasty messages saying she's better off without him. Well this women called him and asked him if he would sign over his rights to her husband because she wants to move...

Signing over parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know how this would work. I am pregnant, and the father has a good job, stable, no drugs or alco problems, but he is not sure he wants to have a child. In his eyes it's all or nothing, either he stays and is involved 100% or he signs over his rights. So my question is, can he just...

Signing over my parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

I Am 21 Yrs Old And Have A 2 Yr Old Daughter That I Do Not See. Unfortunately Do The Mental State Of Her Mother I Feel That It Would Be Better That Way. She Has Tendencies To Always Start Trouble And Try To Get Me In Trouble With The Law Every time I Ask To See My Daughter. I Admit That I Do Not...

Signing over parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

My ex had a baby 8 years ago she said I was my daughter she has been hiding ever since the courts in California named me the father in 1999 by default judgment well I found her on my space and saw some pics and now I am even more convinced that I'm not the father so I asked her for a dna test and...

Signing off Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

What are the legal details and steps in signing off parental rights? I had a sexual relationship with a woman and she got pregnant. There is nothing more to the relationship, but she wants to make it a relationship. I don't. She has had abortions before and I am in no way pressuring her to do so....

View more questions Search