Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellavida Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Ticket for parking in handicap zone?
    1. You are just turning into the handicap spot. You are backing up and the police blocks you. He gives you a ticket for parking in the handicap zone.

2. You have not parked. You are just picking up someone for 1 minute. As you are backing up the police blocks you and gives you a ticket.

Does any of the two situations make it illegal to just back out of the handicap zone?
    Is a ticket for parking in the handicap zone acceptable?

Thanks.
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

May 7, 2007, 11:42 AM
    I'm afraid it probably is illegal. Certainly in the UK traffic law is strict about disabled-parking bays. You made a completely innocent mistake and you might be able to get the fine reduced if you explain what happened, but I doubt there's much else you can do.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 11:43 AM
    No it is not illeagle to back up from a handicap spot, but it is illeagle to get in the spot to wait for someone. As far as I am concerned you earned the ticket. Sorry.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Is this a question off a drivers ed exam?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Sorry to say but you earned the ticket. You drove into that handicapped space and waited for someone. Now I could have been behind you, with my son who is in a wheelchair and I can legally park there. Believe me, I would have called the police.

You can go to the police station and make a case for yourself but I bet the ticket stands.
    bellavida Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 05:07 PM
    It was only backing out, but the police interpreted wrongly.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 05:29 PM
    But, as startover22 stated, in order to back up, you had to drive into the space. It could not have been the only space available and the police officer cited you for what he saw.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 7, 2007, 05:33 PM
    You also said you were "just picking up someone for 1 minute" so you must have stopped still for that same minute. That means you have parked and in my state you owe $250. Sorry but I don't see that you have any excuse the law will accept.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    But, as startover22 stated, in order to back up, you had to drive into the space. It could not have been the only space available and the police officer cited you for what he saw.
    Actually, it could very well have been the only space available. I have used the handicapped parking spots in a dead-end parking lot at my work to turn around in, because they are at the end by the door, and by the time you get down there and realize that there are no open parking spots, the only way to get out of the parking lot is either back out all the way, or use the handicapped spot to turn around. But that is on private property, where I knew that no one ever used that spot.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Sorry but if you were In the spot, you can not be backing out of it, unless you are in it. I am handicap and have that neat little hanger from my mirror, and you don't know how mad I get at non handicap "just waiting a minute" or just picking someone up. It takes up a spot that a handicap person may have wanted right then.
    Ranger012345 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 04:19 PM
    The definition of parking is f(length of time "stopped"). I believe one could validly argue that if one is there ready to move the car if required a ticket should not be issued. The intention behind the law would not be violated.
    Rene
    billy_boy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2011, 05:31 PM
    Handcapped Parking Violation Ticket
    You are parked in a space clearly designated for disabled persons.
    Please ckeck or circle the statement which best describes your handicap:
    ___I don't read good.
    ___I suffer from terminal laziness.
    ___I have Attention Deficit Disorder. Huh?
    ___My inner child was bugging me for ice cream.
    ___My shoes are too expensive to walk in.
    ___Wheelchair symbol? I thought it was a rocking chair!
    ___My religion forbids acts of common courtesy.
    ___I ignore OTHER laws, why not this one?
    ___IAM disabled... by a painfully swollen ego.

(The above as borrowed.)

If you are using the handcap parking space, and you aren't a handicapped person, then you are wrong. It is astonding, to me anyway,that folks think a violation, of any kind,is okay if it is a convience for the violater--I was only there for a minute...

I'm afraid that we have become more selfish and egocentric and less considerate or self-aware. I'm afraid,too, that the people this is directed at will think I'm a moron, or worse. It is really a shame they won't recognize they're actions when they come back around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrong offense and court date written on parking ticket [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Bergen County, New Jersey. On Friday morning, 05/04/07, I dropped off my kid at the school at the usual spot and got pull over by an officer for a parking violation although I only stopped for about 1 minute. A lot of people also got issued a parking tickets yesterday morning...

Golf handicap [ 2 Answers ]

How do you work out a golf handicap?

Noisy handicap tenant issue! [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a rent-stabilized apt. run by DHCR. One of the residents over me is handicap(wheelchair)(mother). However, the rest of family(20+yrs old kids and grandchild) are not. We have constantly been battling a noise problem over our heads for 20+ years from these residents(mom very nasty, and...

Parking ticket?  HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I sold a car on 02-04-2001 and it keeps coming back a costing me money. I was just sent a parking ticket bill that was giving to the car on 04-01-2001, 2 months after I sold it. I sent in a "lelease of liability" to the DMV when I sold it but it wasent recorded. Now I get a bill for $250 for a...

View more questions Search