Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MaintMan Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 06:55 PM
    How do I size parallel Conductors?
    I'm curious how to size a service using parallel feeders. If I had a 600 amp, 3-ph service would I simply add together the ampacity ratings of a selected copper wire size or do I need to derate the wire size due to parallel use? Please tell me what size copper I would need to use. I'm assuming I would need 350-400 MCM. Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 1, 2007, 02:35 AM
    A 3 phase 4 wire paralleled feeder would have 8 current carrying conductors, and be subjected to 70% derating, per NEC Table 310.(B)(2)(a). You can begin derating from the 90 Deg C column of Table 310.16, to arrive at 300 amps per conductor, and then add the sum of the allowable ampacity.

500 MCM THHN/THWN copper is rated 430 amps 90Deg C column, derated by 70% leaves 301 amps. So two 500 MCM conductors per phase will be needed for a 600 amp service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potential diffrence between two adjacent conductors [ 2 Answers ]

Can there be a potential diffrence between two adjacent conductors that carry the same amount of excess positive charge?

Parallel Lines [ 4 Answers ]

I want to know how to find a slope of a line parallel to a graph of an equation. I know how to write out the problems;) , I know how to show all the work;), I just do not know how to graph it:mad: Please help!

Parallel Thermostats [ 3 Answers ]

I Am installing baseboard electric heat in 2 rooms in my basement on a new 20 amp 240v circuit. In the first room I'm putting 1 1500 watt heater and 1 1250 watt heater for a total of approx 11.5 amps (connected parallel). My question is this: Can I run a parallel connection from the first...

Al service conductors... Special Procedures? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. I hope you can point me in the right direction. I have seen two references in books to special procedures with Al service conductors. I'm installing 4/0 AL for a 200A service. I understand you have to retourque the terminations a day after installing, and that it's good to use an...

Diamonds as electrical conductors [ 2 Answers ]

Will a diamond conduct electricity and, if so, how good a conductor is it?

View more questions Search