Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoJo1986 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Early light period, could I be pregnant?
    Hello, I am 21 yrs. Old and I am scared I may be pregnant. I have been pregnant once before, a year and a half ago. I found out when I was 4 weeks, and lost the pregnancy at 7 weeks. I had all of the signs. Only I had my period right before I found out. I have been off the pill for about 5 months now. My cycle usually comes on the same day of every month. Sometimes day before or after. I never get my cycle twice in the same month. I started my period on April 1,07.(Bad back pain, cramps, etc.) I had intercourse on the 15th with ejaculation. I spotted on the 21st for half a day, then nothing. On the 25th I woke up at 3:00 am with a horrible back ache. I had started my period again. Only this time it seems to be a lot lighter than usual and has brown discharge in it. For the past week I have been feeling sick to my stomach when I eat something. I have lost weight because I can't eat. Every time I eat or drink something my stomach hurts. I feel over tired and cranky. Could I be pregnant?:confused: Someone please provide advice or answer. I would greatly appreciate it.

-Someone please leave your input.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 08:14 AM
    You definitely could be pregnant, as it has been long enough that the pill is most likely completely out of your system(they say up to three months, and its been 5 for you) add that in with having unprotected sex, and around the time of ovulation from the sounds of it, and you could definitely be pregnant. If you had this kind of bleeding before with your last pregnancy, again, its very possible you are pregnant. When was(is) your next expected period? I'm afraid the only way to know for sure is to get a test and see what the answer is. Good luck to you.

Apr 30, 2007, 08:20 AM
    My guess would be that my next period would be due around May 25. I am unsure as to when I should test though. In the past I tested 2 test and both came up incunclusive. Two weeks and one test later I was positive. I have looked at a calendar online to see when I should test but am unsure if I should put the 1st or the 25th as the date. There is a few weeks difference there as to when it could show positive. Thank You for your feedback.

Apr 30, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Someone Please Leave Me Some Feed Back! I Know People Are Reading It!
    pickerill Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Hi, you could have had a implantation bleed which sometimes happens at the start of pregnancy, alls it is is when the egg implants into the lining of the uterus it causes a light bleed which usually happens when your period would have been due. Or it could be that your body hasn't yet got back to normal after being on the pill as sometimes it can take up to 12months for your body to get back into a menstrual routine.

Apr 30, 2007, 01:39 PM
    My problem is that I am not sure when I should take a home pregnancy test. I had my period on the 1st, spotted on 21st, and started again on the 25th. I am not even sure when I ovulate. One says I should receive possitve result on May 1 if pregnant. The other says May 23.
    pickerill Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 01:52 PM
    You can get pregnancy tests that detect the hcg hormone as early as 10 days after conception. Go to your nearest pharmacy.
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Your best bet is to test at the latest possible time you think you might start. If you take the earlier date, you won't know for sure if that is the right date, and you will still have to sit there and question whether it's the right answer or not. However, it won't hurt anything(except maybe your pocket book) to take tests earlier then that. I would personally suggest that if you take a test earlier, take a blood test. They are more accurate then hpts and can be taken earlier then hpts. Be mindful that if your hcg levels still aren't high enough, it won't register on the blood test either, it IS more accurate, BUT it only gives a positive or negative result(qualatative blood test), and if the levels aren't high enough, it still won't register. If you get a doctor ordered blood test (quantative blood test) it will measure the actual amount of hcg in your system. If it is found that you have a high enough level of hcg, they will most likely repeat the test within a few days to see if the levels are doubling as they would in a normal pregnancy.Every doctor has a different policy on how soon they are willing to order a quantative blood test, as far as how long after you have missed, and if there is enough info to lead them to believe it's a needed test. (not all insurance companies will cover it, and it tends to be a bit expensive)In your case(having previous lost pregnancy early on), I would definitely suggest seeing your ob/gyn and chatting things over with them, and seeing what they suggest and what they can do to help. Good luck. Let us know when you find out

May 1, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Ok so I couldn't wait.. . I got anxious and went to the store last night and purchased a hpt. I took it this morning and it came up negative. I am no longer on period, but I have brown discharge when I used the restroom. The first time I got pregnant I had a weird smell to my urine. That smell is back. I am going to wait until May 23 to take another test.

May 2, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Ok, I still can't eat! I am hungry every now and then but when I start to eat I lose my appetite. I have now had a dull headache for three days. I am having light brownish discharge every time I go to the rest room. I have also been very shaky this morning.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 2, 2007, 12:16 PM
    I am going to let Buggage take the pregnancy part of your post as she is doing so well. However, I have to comment on one medical statement you made

You still can't eat... You have been "very shaky this morning" indicates that you might be suffering from hypoglycemia (you don't have to be diabetic to have this) which is low blood sugar. You need to eat to keep up your strength.

Please eat something even ifyou don't have an appetite. It is VERY important just to maintain your own health, but if you are pregnant it is even more important.

May 2, 2007, 12:28 PM
    [F]I am hungry, but only able to eat a few bites here and there. Can't seem to get a whole meal down. Snack here and there is all I can take. I have eaten a few pieces of candy today and I am chewing gum. Trying to keep sugar in me just not over do it. All I could seem to get down for lunch was mashed potatoes and a bag of chips.:confused:
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Have you tried getting those yogurt drinks from the grocery store? They are yogurts, but in drink form. These are some of the things that helped me when I had terrible morning sickness in the beginning of my pregnancy. Graham crackers also help. Gatorade is awesome, not only does it taste good, but it replenishes your electrolites which helps if you are also throwing up or having diahrea. (helps a great deal with the shakiness) Try eatting things that are lower in taste, and light on the stomach. Whether you are pregnant or not, we'll have to wait and see, but in the mean time, treat this like you would morning sickness, and try these out. Eat whatever you can keep down. Snacking throughout the day, keeping your stomach from getting empty, will also help a great deal. Good luck

May 3, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo1986
    Hello, I am 21 yrs. old and I am scared I may be pregnant. I have been pregnant once before, a year and a half ago. I found out when I was 4 weeks, and lost the pregnancy at 7 weeks. I had all of the signs. Only I had my period right before I found out. I have been off of the pill for about 5 months now. My cycle usually comes on the same day of every month. Sometimes day before or after. I never get my cycle twice in the same month. I started my period on April 1,07.(Bad back pain, cramps, etc.) I had intercourse on the 15th with ejaculation. I spotted on the 21st for half a day, then nothing. On the 25th I woke up at 3:00 am with a horrible back ache. I had started my period again. Only this time it seems to be a lot lighter than usual and has brown discharge in it. For the past week I have been feeling sick to my stomache when I eat something. I have lost weight because I can't eat. Everytime I eat or drink something my stomache hurts. I feel over tired and cranky. Could I be pregnant?:confused: Someone please provide advice or answer. I would greatly appreciate it.

-Someone please leave your input.
    Actually I bought some Yopalite yogurt drinks last night. They did help me. Q: when you first become pregnant does your back ache? My back has been killing me. I have also been experiencing a pain on my right side in the pelvic area. Yesterday I had a growing pain like feeling in the crease of my inter thigh. It hurt all day.
    spea94 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

May 3, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Actually I bought some Yopalite yogurt drinks last night. They did help me. Q: when you first become pregnant does your back ache? My back has been killing me. I have also been experiencing a pain on my right side in the pelvic area. Yesterday I had a growing pain like feeling in the crease of my inter thigh. It hurt all day.

Why don't you just go to the DR. I am going through a similar thing... missed peirod, I am gaining weight, very sleepy... took 2 home test both negative. Going to the DR Friday because its driving me crazy not knowing what going o with me...

and the not eatting might be because you are majorly stressing about being pregnant...

Good luck I hope it works out the way you want it =)
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Is the pain in your stomach constant, and always on that one side? I would suggest that if it is, you see your doctor. It could be nothing, but it could also be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy. These don't always register on hpts, and can be potentially dangerous/fatal if not taken care of properly/in time. Its typically felt in the region of the belly button, one one side. It sounds as though yours is lower? However, this could be completely normal for you. Only your doctor can answer this for you. I would suggest you go see your doctor, just in case. It couldn't hurt, and it will help to answer some of your questions. The back ache is normal for some women. Some women never expereince any pains or aches until baby is in third tri, or some don't ever expereince any discomfort(lucky ducks) I would just suggest that you might as well go see your doctor, as you sound pretty stressed about this, and it will definitely help to ease your fears, if nothing else. Good luck. (glad those drinks helped)
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

May 3, 2007, 11:44 AM
    In the beginning of my pregnancy I had a severe backache for a few days. I also felt the pain in my lower abdomen on one side. It would come and go, and every few days it would switch sides. I still occasionally get the hunger and can't eat anything. You feel like you are so hungry, but when you eat you feel full after a few bites. I have hypoglycemia, but not too bad. I have found that if I eat more protein it really helps keep you from becoming shaky. What happens is you eat mainly sugar and your blood sugar goes up. Unfortunately when eating lots of carbs and sugars your blood sugar will drop pretty low and fast. This is what causes the shakiness. When you feel shaky you need to drink oj, eat some sweets and get your sugar back up, then eat something like a piece of toast with peanut butter on it. Just try to include some protein with breakfast. Even if you can't eat much a few bites will help tremendously. It sounds like you could be pregnant, so make sure you are living like you are. Unfortunately you have to wait it out until you find out. If you continue to have the pain on just the one side you definitely want to see your doctor. Another symptom you may have is a pain in your shoulder. If the pain is at the tip of your shoulder (where it meets with your arm) definitely go in to your doc. That is a sign of ectopic. If it is in the middle of your shoulder (around your collar bone) you should be okay. Just schedule that appointment!

May 3, 2007, 12:25 PM
    ;)First of all I want to thank you ladies for all of you advice. I greatly appreciate it. The pain is not constant, but comes through out the day. I have been having trouble sleeping lately. Waking up in the middle of the night and in the morning with a bad backache in my mid and lower back. I called the nearest Planned Parenthood to me and the nurse went down a few lists' with me. She said it sounds like I am possibly having an ectopic pregnancy and I should get checked out a.s.a.p. My doctors office is closed today, but will re open tomorrow morning. So I will call first thing to make an appointment. I will keep you ladies up dated. Thank you so much for all of the help in answering my questions.:(
    spea94 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

May 3, 2007, 02:03 PM
    ;) First of all I want to thank you ladies for all of you advice. I greatly appreciate it. The pain is not constant, but comes through out the day. I have been having trouble sleeping lately. Waking up in the middle of the night and in the morning with a bad backache in my mid and lower back. I called the nearest Planned Parenthood to me and the nurse went down a few lists' with me. She said it sounds like I am possibly having an ectopic pregnancy and I should get checked out a.s.a.p. My doctors office is closed today, but will re open tomorrow morning. So I will call first thing to make an appointment. I will keep you ladies up dated. Thank you so much for all of the help in answering my questions.:(

Sorry! Good luck hope alll goes well!
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Good luck hun. Glad you are going in to get it checked out. Hopefully its just a false alarm, but its best to get it confirmed one way or another. Let us know how it goes. Best of wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Early Period [ 2 Answers ]

I recently started on the generic version of Ortho Tri-cyclin. I have been taking them as directed for two weeks. Today, I got my period which is a week early as the placebos do not start until next week. Should I continue to take the pills as scheduled? If not, what should I do? Thanks

My period is early [ 2 Answers ]

My period came on 7/8 and now again at 7/26 very light with hardy any blood . I tooked to pregnancy tests both negative. I feel nausea and butterflies in belly. Could I be pregnant?

Implantation or Early period [ 4 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time here, Hello to everyone. Here is the situation, My last MP was 1/6/07, my cycle is normal, my OV was 1/15-1/20 and I had intercourse w/ my significant other on the 15th and the 21st. My period was due on 2*1*07 but I started spotting on 1*30*07 it was a pink red color and...

Early period [ 3 Answers ]

Recently my eyes have been swollen ( looks like I have allergies or real tired) In the past few days I FEEL MORE FATIGUED THAN USUAL. Then today my period started 2 weeks early. Any ideas?

Am I just having an early period? [ 1 Answers ]

My last menstrual cycle was August 6-13 My husband and I had unprotected sex on the 25th, I always have a regular 28 day cycle and I started what I think is my period today sept 1st a week and 2 day's early. Could this be implantation bleeding?

View more questions Search