Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lazamae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Why my outlet isn't working.
    We recently moved into a new home and when we installed our outdoor lights, we noticed that the outlet wasn't receiving any power. We checked the other exterior outlets, and those too were dead. We reset all of the GFCI's that could be affecting it, and that didn't help. Next we replaced the GFCI and that didn't help either. Lastly, we replaced the breaker switch and that didn't work either. Do you have any other suggestions for what we can do to fix this?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 02:48 AM
    Sounds like you checked all the typical reasons, so there must be a loose splice or connection is the circuit somewhere between the panel and this outlet. Each outlet and junction box will need to be opened to check for a defective connection on one or both of the hot and neutral wires.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 3, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Could be fed from a switch. Identify all switches. Most will be easy.
    Plug in an extension cord into a known working outlet. Bring meter and other end of cord to bad outlet, verify at end of cord, 120 between hot and neutral(Hot is small opening), now place meter in known good hot, at end of cord, now plug meter in bad outlet Neutral, if you now have power, Your neutral is good, also do second test to see if hot is good.)Maybe neutral opened)
    If you lost hot and neutral, and ground still intact, Most likely load side of a gfi, Maybe in a bathroom, or an odd looking one in the Panel.

If you lost all 3(Hot, neutral and ground)Roofer cut through with saw, Don't Ask

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement electrical outlet stopped working [ 3 Answers ]

A basement electrical outlet I use constantly for my fridge & microwave just stopped working all of a sudden. It's not getting any power at all. I've flipped all the breakers on & off because I'm unsure which breaker goes to that outlet but nothing. How am I to make sure the outlet's power will be...

Single electrical outlet not working [ 4 Answers ]

I have one electrical outlet in my house (2 yrs old) that recently stopped working. Its not a gfi and the other outlet in the same room isn't either. (both of these outlets are in the bathroom) but only one doesn't work... I plugged an appliance into it and no juice. I went and bought another...

Top Part of Kitchen Outlet Not Working [ 2 Answers ]

If I plug an appliance into the top part of the outlet it does not work. However, the bottom one does. All of the other outlets work correctly in our kitchen. I've read through some of the posting but most specify the entire outlet not working. Could it be a loose wire? Could you make a...

Must you re-wire outlet to outlet? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there. Great site. I am rewiring my 1950's house with plaster walls, older wiring had no ground. Because it is one story, and extremely tight in the attic on the outer walls, I ran a 12/2 home run for the outlets, to a big (1900?) junction box, then "spidered" out to each individual...

Outdoor outlet not working -- wet? [ 1 Answers ]

Our outdoor front entry outlet isn't working, and there is no reset button, nor is there a switch listed on our fuse box for that outlet. Outlets in indoor rooms that are closest to this outlet are working fine. We've had some rain this week, right around the time the outlet quit working. Is there...

View more questions Search