Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinkerbellbabes Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Feb 21, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Is couscous grains fattening than rice?
    I am currently substituting rice to couscous as I want to lose some weight and eat less carbohydrates. Is couscous grain fattening than rice?
    drachir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 03:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbellbabes
    i am currently substituting rice to couscous as i want to lose some weight and eat less carbohydrates. is couscous grain fattening than rice?
    Stick with the rice (pre-rinsed in cold water 3 times before cooking, to clear starch), because cous-cous (delicious though it is) is a cracked wheat product which will have the normal carb levels of other wheat products.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbellbabes
    i am currently substituting rice to couscous as i want to lose some weight and eat less carbohydrates. is couscous grain fattening than rice?
    "Couscous Grain" is a yellow granule of semolina, made from duram wheat. The calories are:

Calories-88; carbs- 18grams, cholestrol- 0, fat- 0, Protein- 3grams, sodium- 4 grams

Whereas "White long grain", regular unenriched cooked no salt: 1 cup

Calories-205, carbs-44.5 grams, cholestrol -0, fat -0.4 grams, Protein- 4.3 grams sodium 2 mg

"Brown Rice: medium grain, cooked, 1 cup;

Calories 218, carbs-45.8grams, cholestrol 0, fat-0.3 grams protein 4.5 grams

So of course if you want less carbs it seems the couscous has less calories and carbs then the white rice for instance. And I always advice people to choose the brown over the white rice in all situations cause white flour is is not the best choice. But its, your choice!;)
    Rina _4 Posts: 182, Reputation: 19

Apr 25, 2007, 01:17 PM
    I think couscous is healthier than rice, but it's up to you and your taste buds.
    foxy69rtaz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2009, 12:08 PM
    :Dbloody good to no nice one x
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelesspa View Post
    "Couscous Grain" is a yellow granule of semolina, made from duram wheat. The calories are:

calories-88; carbs- 18grams, cholestrol- 0, fat- 0, Protein- 3grams, sodium- 4 grams

Whereas "White long grain", regular unenriched cooked no salt: 1 cup

calories-205, carbs-44.5 grams, cholestrol -0, fat -0.4 grams, Protein- 4.3 grams sodium 2 mg

"Brown Rice: medium grain, cooked, 1 cup;

calories 218, carbs-45.8grams, cholestrol 0, fat-0.3 grams protein 4.5 grams

So of course if you want less carbs it seems the couscous has less calories and carbs then the white rice for instance. And I always advice people to choose the brown over the white rice in all situations cause white flour is is not the best choice. But its, your choice!;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sella rice [ 6 Answers ]

What is sella basmati rice and parboiled basmati rice

Muller rice/yoghurt ad [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name of the song where all the people are dancing? I know the original is 'aint got no (I got life)' by nina simone. This is not just for my own knowledge but is required as a backing tune to a gymnastics floor routine in an important competition... any help would be much...

Hi please anser me ( about grains) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi How much % protein are there in lentils ? Tel me with % Tnx lot

Stan rice [ 1 Answers ]

I'm searching for a list of all poetry of Stan Rice. I read some of his work and I want to read more but I can't find many of his older works. Can anyone provide me suchs a list or does anybody know where to find one? Carnelain

China's Rice Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I'm trying to find out how many people or how much rice does china use? - a website with a chart on how much rice is consumed will be helpful.. Just give me a bunch of links that relates to this question. Thankx!

View more questions Search