Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clueless2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Installing sewer clean out yourself? Can it be done?
    My husband wants to install our sewer clean out himself. I don't want it to sound like he is not handy, but... Anyway, the sewer repair technician quoted a price of $1300 to do the job. My husband says he can do it himself. He talked to a friend of his that is a plumber who told him what parts he would need, etc. Has anyone done this who is not a professional in the field? If so, can you give me any pointers or advice? I'm thinking if it costs that much for a pro, there must be a reason. Our main line is only 3 feet underground, so my husband would at least like to do the digging himself to maybe save some money.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 10:59 AM
    It doesn't sound like this will be a great choice for a clean out, under ground. Is it possible to reach your main drain line before it exits your foundation? I don't know if your sewer is an iron pipe or PVC and that would make a big difference in the difficulty of cutting into the line. Could you get back with the answers to these two questions? Boy, if I had a buddy who was a plumber I think I'd take him for a steak dinner first and then maybe ask for help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by clueless2
    My husband wants to install our sewer clean out himself. I don't want it to sound like he is not handy, but..... Anyway, the sewer repair technician quoted a price of $1300 to do the job. My husband says he can do it himself. He talked to a friend of his that is a plumber who told him what parts he would need, etc. Has anyone done this who is not a professional in the field? If so, can you give me any pointers or advice? I'm thinking if it costs that much for a pro, there must be a reason. Our main line is only 3 feet underground, so my husband would at least like to do the digging himself to maybe save some money.
    Thanks.
    Three feet underground, huh? Yeah we can help. Cut in a wye into the main and bring it up to grade with a short piece of pipe topped off with a threaded clean out. Just answer Bals question about what material the pipes are and if the plumber can't help we can walk hubby through the job. Sound like a plan? Cheers, Tom
    clueless2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clueless2
    My husband wants to install our sewer clean out himself. I don't want it to sound like he is not handy, but..... Anyway, the sewer repair technician quoted a price of $1300 to do the job. My husband says he can do it himself. He talked to a friend of his that is a plumber who told him what parts he would need, etc. Has anyone done this who is not a professional in the field? If so, can you give me any pointers or advice? I'm thinking if it costs that much for a pro, there must be a reason. Our main line is only 3 feet underground, so my husband would at least like to do the digging himself to maybe save some money.
    Thanks.
    This is the info that I have via the rooter man: Inside in the basement is a sewer line with a cap that they have been going through to clean it out. It is a 4 inch cast iron pipe from there, under our garage floor , and outside. About 4 feet past the garage door, it turns into a 6 inch PVC pipe. (we have determined this from having a camera down there) It is at this point that we were told that the line is approx. 3 feet down, and that we should install a clean out pipe so that the rooter man could go directly through that clean out into the 6 inch pipe as going from inside the house through the 4 inch is not totally cleaning out the tree roots (the sewer line goes straight out under the garage floor and turns slightly and goes dead center under a 40 foot tall blue spruce).
    I hope this answers some of the questions.
    Thanks for your responses!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Letvme give you some help with the roots. For immediate relief and to kill the existing roots and prevent further growth you can purchase RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months. Good luck, Tom
    Marine01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2012, 04:49 PM
    I just had this done about a month ago. It cost $1,056.00 to locate and install a double cleanout. One that runs a snake towards the house and the other that runs into the main swer at the street. The cost for the cleanouts it's self was $855.67. Mine was a steel pipe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer clean out location question [ 7 Answers ]

I had some problems with my drain in January and eventually found my clean out under 10 inches of dirt and mulch. Thanks, speedball1, for advice for the cover. Now my neighbor is trying to find her clean out. (She has had some drain issues in the past and the plumbers have told her they...

Installing a cleanout on my main sewer? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My neighbor and I will be digging a 9 foot deep hole on the side of my house to access my main sewer line which is about 3 feet inside the foundation of my house. Can anyone tell me the level of difficulty of this job... and how to do it? I want to install a cleanout so I can have access...

Sewer clean-out [ 3 Answers ]

I'm planning to replace my asphalt driveway and wooden front entrance walkway with concrete. But before I do that, I'd like to check the condition of my sewer clean-out to make sure that the many trees I had in the front yard didn't affect the sewer line leading to the street with their roots. I'd...

Sewer Clean Out [ 2 Answers ]

How do i go about locating the sewer clean out?

Sewer clean out [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought an old stone farm house. The contractor and previous owner recently abondanded the septic field and connected the house waste to the city sewer system. He did this after we bought the property. I observed that the sewer clean out junction was not a "t" connection but a "u" shaped...

View more questions Search