Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GEORGE HUBBARD Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Type H Fuse??
    Me again,was told to buy a 30 amp disconnect for air conditioning unit.purchased an eaton/cutler hammer # 1 dpf221rp.it says it accepts class h fuses.cant seem to find anyone who knows what a class h fuse is.been to ace and home depot,can anyone help?? :confused:
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2006, 02:51 PM
    Give me the model nimber of the switch. Class H is a renewable fuse, and there are code restricitions on their use. There are other classes of fuses that this switch must work with.

Never mind I just saw the number in the post, be back at you later.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2006, 03:25 PM
    OK See the attached product sheet, you want a Bussman # NON-30, assuming a 30 amp fuse. It is a 250 volt no renewable fuse, 2 " long, and goes up to 30 a.

This is your plain vanilla everyday general purpose fuse that should be easily found at electrical supply houses.

Disreard my previous comment on code restriction, I first saw "renewable" and that is what has code restrections, not the Class H.
    GEORGE HUBBARD Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2006, 03:50 PM
    Much Thanks Tk
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 23, 2006, 04:46 PM
    Pardon my curious ignorance, but what is a "renewable" fuse?
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2006, 05:12 PM
    A cartridge fuse that has screw cap type ferrules and the metal fuse links.

Links come several in a box, if a fuse blew, pull the fuse out , open the cap and thread through another link. The cases are reused.

These are restricted to places under direct supervison, such as large industrial, they use them to save money due to large quantity of fuses blown.

In the hands of the public, you could have 100 amp links in 30 amp fuse. Would look like when Chicago burned.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 23, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Aha. Thank you for the explanation.
    mdierker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2006, 01:00 PM
    Back to the restrictions for renewable fuses. Where can I read more on the restrictions.
    Thanks
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2006, 01:30 PM
    The NFPA 70 National Electric Code 2005 Edition.
    BDomingue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 12:45 PM
    A class H fuse is simply a one time fuse or a renewable element fuse. It is of the least expensive type fuse available. It is not necessary to use a class H fuse in your disconnect. You can use a RK5 fuse or an RK1. Basically this determines the interrupting rating of the fuse. The higher the interrupting the better the fuse.
    I would recommend a Littelfuse FLNR(amperage). This is a RK5 fuse and will suit your application.
    Nodrugsnick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2012, 05:14 PM
    National Electrical Code. 2012 page 97
    Article 240 - Overcurrent Protection - Section VI Cartridge Fuses and Fuseholders 240.60 (D) "Renewable Fuses. Class H fuses and fuseholders of the renewable type shall be permitted to be used only for replacement in existing installations where there is no evidence of overfusing or tampering.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3-amp fuse on circuit board [ 7 Answers ]

I've been having an intermittant problem where the 3-amp fuse on the circuit board keeps burning out. Lately, the problem has occurred in the late afternoon (3-7pm) such that when I replace the fuse, it will last for 3-4 minutes before blowing again. If I wait until late in the evening to turn on...

Electric Fuse Wire [ 3 Answers ]

Kindly let me know, which compound is used in a fuse wire used in electric circuits

A/C fuse box height [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving an exterior a/c compressor to a new location and have to move the breaker box too. It is currently at 48", is that a code requirement or can I locate it lower to 36". Thank you

Thermal Fuse [ 3 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool le2500xtw1 dryer, I bought used.it worked fine for about a month, then one day it would run but not heat. First thing I did was get a new element. But the problem was the thermal fuse was blown. The replacement package had a new thermostat as well as the fuse. After a few days of...

3 amp fuse blown [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Gas Furnace that is blowing the 3 amp fuse for the secondary 24 Vac. I have replaced the fuse and after the heat is on for awhile the fuse will blow and then I have cool air blowing. Please advise on how to troubleshoot problem.Thanks

View more questions Search