Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Susanr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Paying off an old judgement
    I have an 10 year old credit card judgement on my credit report. I never responded to any of the collection calls, nor did I go to court to fight the judgement. It happened at the time I was divorcing and I just didn't handle it well.
    I recently contacted the law firm handling the judgement, wanting to try to settle. They informed me the judgement allowed for interest, and now what was a 5,000 debt is now a 12,000 debt. And the law firm will not waive any of the interest. I would really like to take care of this now that I am making a little bit of money, but I can't afford 12,000. I am a single mother, never been able to collect child support, things are tight. How can I get the law firm to work with me and waive the interest?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 01:39 PM
    You just said it, they won't. If this law firm has kept the debt valid, as in re-filing the documents needed to sue for 10 years they probably have prevented the statute of limitations from expiring and have incurred costs because of this, they may have made a deal to split the interest with the credit card company if they can ever collect.

Have they started any procedures, like taken you to court or anything? Your best bet is to ask if they will stop the interest now (if its still ongoing) if you agree to start making payments, hopefully with a large innitial payment.

They are allowed to charge the interest rate for your credit card, you still owe them the money and the contract for the card should specify the interest rate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Well sadly you really actually messed this up, judgements normally expire in 10 years, and unless the company goes back to court to get an additional time, normally unless they think they are going to get money, they just let it die. So most likely had you not said anything, this would have died and they could not have ever collected any money at all, so if you wanted to pay, they would have settled for pennies on a dollar.
    Now they have current info on you, know you may pay, so they can get more time if needed and come after you harder.

So as long as they keep the judgement valid, they can actually start doing more, esp ifyou have a job and bank accounts

Sometimes trying to do the "right thing" on old debts is not always the best legal thing
    Susanr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 02:19 PM
    I haven't had a recent court date. The only court date was the one I didn't go to years ago.
    I tried to disput the debt was mine when I contacted them. Honestly, my ex may have charged up that card. But the law firm holding the judgement says it's too late for that, the debt appears to be all mine. Do you think getting before a judge would do me any good?
    I called and ask for a copy of the judgement & the credit card records so I could see for myself, but the law firm hasn't returned that call or responded to my request.
    Can they start garnishing my wages without taking me back to court?
    kat rome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Susanr
    I have an 10 year old credit card judgement on my credit report. I never responded to any of the collection calls, nor did I go to court to fight the judgement. It happened at the time I was divorcing and I just didn't handle it well.
    I recently contacted the law firm handling the judgement, wanting to try to settle. They informed me the judgement allowed for interest, and now what was a 5,000 debt is now a 12,000 debt. And the law firm will not waive any of the interest. I would really like to take care of this now that I am making a little bit of money, but I can't afford 12,000. I am a single mother, never been able to collect child support, things are tight. How can I get the law firm to work with me and waive the interest?
    I realized this post is a year old,
    Is is possible this person is able to respond to the outcome of this situation?
    I would like to hear her outcome, as I have a similar situation with a judgement I am trying to pay off.
    Thank you,
    Kat
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2008, 08:09 AM
    [QUOTE=kat rome]I realized this post is a year old,
    Is is possible this person is able to respond to the outcome of this situation?
    I would like to hear her outcome, as I have a similar situation with a judgement I am trying to pay off.

My feeling is that she made some type of payment arrangement, the interest kept getting added on and the law firm refused to settle for less than the Judgment.

There's a big danger in ignoring legal papers and this is another example of what can happen - and I understand the OP was under a lot of stress when she let it slide.

The law firm also may have levied against a bank account or her salary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying NY and NJ taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My company transferred from NY to NJ mid 2006. I paid NY Sate taxes for 5 months and NJ Sate taxes for 7 months. I'm using Turbo tax and according to the State returns I owe too much. Can I claim back the amount I paid to NY on my NJ return? I do not see anywhere in Turbo Tax where I can do...

Paying twice [ 1 Answers ]

I opened a account with a furniture company many years ago (apex 10yrs ago) and I thought my bill was paid in full I just received a letter from a collection company telling me that I have this outstanding bill with them I told them that I do not have my paper work from the furniture company.I...

Paying off OLD stuff [ 4 Answers ]

My question is: Our credit stinks - mid 500's. A series of difficult situations dropped our very near perfect score to this in a matter of five difficult years. Our situation has finally come around and we're able to make some changes in our financial picture. The question is how? We just...

Non-paying roommate [ 3 Answers ]

I am from MN as well as one of my other roommates. They non-paying person is from WA. We all signed a lease last year to rent a house from our current landlords. The house we are renting is in ND. Both me and my roommate as well as my landlords received letter today informing us that the third...

Paying Judgement before home is taken [ 1 Answers ]

CONFUSED Hi!! I just joined "askmehelpdesk" because I am seeking ANY possible answers to my question. I have a judgement against my home that my significant other of 26 years was named in. He passed away and now I am the only one left. I have been told that 5 years from the original date of...

View more questions Search