Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iris3411 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Does the Income Summary Balance go to Income Statement
    I am doing a 10 column worksheet and I have a credit $ amount in the Income Summary account in the Adjusted Trial Balance. Do I move that to the Income Statement or the Balance Sheet section of the worksheet?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Why do you have an Income Summary account at all on the Adjusted Trial Balance?

What have you put in this account?
    iris3411 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 09:35 AM
    I figured out that it goes to the Income Statement. The reason there is an income summary acct in the trial balance is because Ending Inventory (on the books) and Ending Inventory (via a hand count) is adjusted through the Inventory and Income Summary accts in this project. The adjusting entry ends up being the difference between the 2. Does that make sense to you? I am probably not describing it correctly... Thanks for all of your help.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2007, 01:20 PM
    What you are saying is that you are:
    Dr. Income Summary
    Cr. Inventory.

You should be Dr. COGS, but if the project tells you to debit Income Summary, then you are doing it correct.

And under that, Income Summary would go on the income statement to lower your net income by reducing your revenue amount to get a gross profit total.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multi-Step Income Statement & Classified Balance Sheet Help! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm new in studying accounting. I have quiz coming up tomorrow and I was wondering how I set up a Certified balance sheet and a multi-step income statement. The example we received was this. On may 1st, 2006 Jane Win began the Jane Win Co. which owns a business selling gift items. She ivested...

Balance Sheet/Income Statement Questions [ 2 Answers ]

My assignment includes writing up both a balance sheet and income statement given the trial balance. I've completed most of it, but I'm a bit unsure on a few things... 1) Allowance for Bad Debts. - Am I to consider this a current asset? 2) Patents. - Most likely long-term asset? Also, I'm...

Adjusting Trial Balance for Multi-Step Income Statement [ 1 Answers ]

I have been attempting this problem for about 4 hours, read through the chapter 3 times, and yet I can still not complete this question. :confused: Here is the excel template I looked up to view the format, which also includes the question: Kimmel, Weygandt, Kieso: Financial Accounting:...

Interlocking Balance Sheet and Income Statement [ 1 Answers ]

I'm starting a company and have prepared a four-year proforma statement of income. Now I need to prepare proforma balance sheets and statements of cash flow. I know that current retained earnings less previous retained earnings from the balance sheet equal current net income from the income...

Homework Assignment - Income Statement Balance [ 2 Answers ]

A-1 Photography Homework Assignment: Income Statement (Balance) Adjusted Trial Balance Entries: (Month Ending September 30, 2006) Service Revenue: Photographic Service Revenue 4,700 Expenses: Adjusted Trial Balance Amount:

View more questions Search