Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thebottleletmedown Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2005, 04:42 PM
    Gurgling Noise In Pipes
    I have heard a noise for the past month in my water lines, in the wall where the main water shut-off is located. However, it is not constant. It is a humming/gurgling noise in my lines. Im thinking that it originates from my main water shutoff point, because when you put your hand on the valve, you can feel the vibration. Sometimes it makes noise, sometimes it does not, sometimes quietly, sometimes very loud. Its very sporadic. When the main water shut off is turned off, the noise goes away. I'm thinking (and hoping) its not a leak. I live in a condo with a cement slab, and after four weeks of this, I'm pretty sure I would have seen some water by now, if it was a leak. I really feel that the problem is in the main water line, and not the other lines running through the house.
    Any ideas? Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 8, 2005, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebottleletmedown
    I have heard a noise for the past month in my water lines, in the wall where the main water shut-off is located. However, it is not constant. It is a humming/gurgling noise in my lines. Im thinking that it originates from my main water shutoff point, because when you put your hand on the valve, you can feel the vibration. Sometimes it makes noise, sometimes it does not, sometimes quietly, sometimes very loud. Its very sporadic. When the main water shut off is turned off, the noise goes away. I'm thinking (and hoping) its not a leak. I live in a condo with a cement slab, and after four weeks of this, im pretty sure I would have seen some water by now, if it was a leak. I really feel that the problem is in the main water line, and not the other lines running through the house.
    Any ideas? Thank you.
    I'm with you, I don't think you have a leak either. I think the problem's located in the house shut off valve. A loose screw that's letting the washer vibrate as water goes past or a pebble that got sucked into the supply and is now vibrating against the seat of the shut off valve. Turn the water off at the water meter. Now open up the valve and check the washer to make sure it's tight on the stem. If you can tighten the screw that secures it you have probably located the problem but to make sure, have someone open up the stop at the meter for a few seconds while you hold a pan to catch the water and flush out the line from the meter. Now try it again. Better now?
    Good luck, Tom

Aug 8, 2005, 04:28 PM
    No Noise Now But...
    Now today I come home and the pipe is not making any noise. But at the shutoff valve it still sounds and feels, like there is water running through it, even though I am not running any water anywhere in the house. One thing I forgot to mention before was that this noise I hear doesn't only happen when I am running water, but also when there is no water running in the house at all. When the pipe is not gurgling (which I think may be air ) it still sounds like water is running. But if there is water running, where could it be going to, because I haven't seen any water anywhere in my house. Does this make any sense at all?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 9, 2005, 07:37 AM
    Now today I come home and the pipe is not making any noise. But at the shutoff valve it still sounds and feels, like there is water running through it, even though I am not running any water anywhere in the house. One thing I forgot to mention before was that this noise I hear doesnt only happen when I am running water, but also when there is no water running in the house at all. When the pipe is not gurgling (which i think may be air ) it still sounds like water is running. But if there is water running, where could it be going to, because i havent seen any water anywhere in my house. Does this make any sense at all?
    I should have asked, "Are you on a pump or city water?" Tom

Aug 9, 2005, 02:37 PM
    City Water
    I am on city water.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 9, 2005, 03:13 PM
    I am on city water.

Shut down everything in the house and go out and check the little pointer in the water meter. It should not move or creep. Let me know what you see. Regards, Tom

Aug 10, 2005, 02:33 PM
    Water Meter
    The pointer on the water meter does not move even when the water shut-off is left open. The numbers on the meter seem to be proportional to the amount of water I have used. From last night to this morning, the meter only moved one number and that is with the toilet being flushed a time or two and the sink being used, to me that seems to be normal usage. If there is a leak, I'm thinking it is not in the house, but somewhere from the meter to the street.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 10, 2005, 02:39 PM
    The pointer on the water meter does not move even when the water shut-off is left open. The numbers on the meter seem to be proportional to the amount of water i have used. From last night to this morning, the meter only moved one number and that is with the toilet being flushed a time or two and the sink being used, to me that seems to be normal usage. If there is a leak, im thinking it is not in the house, but somewhere from the meter to the street.

If that's the case it's the citys responsibility to repair it. Call your water department and report it. Let them check it out. You've done about all you can do. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noise from pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if there is anything I can do about this, I have just moved into a new flat and have found that there is a constant "rushing noise" coming from the pipes. This is 24/7 and only quietens after I quickly turn a tap on and off (but does come back after a few seconds). It seems to emminate...

Pipes Making Noise [ 30 Answers ]

I have read some other posts on this forum and have some ideas. However, I will try to be more specific. About every 5-10 minutes there is a clunking noise under our house. Our house was built in 1991 (I think), is a large rambler (3400sqft), and I have total access underneath it. This noise,...

Noise in pipes overhead? [ 1 Answers ]

About 9 months ago, we changed our old pipes to copper pipes throughout the house. Just recently, we hear funny noises when we turn on the shower in either bathroom. First we hear a tapping of the pipes, not too loud but enough and it sounds like it's coming from over our heads? Why is that?? ...

Gurgling noise in apartment bathroom [ 6 Answers ]

First, thanks in advance to anyone who offers up advice. I'm a relatively handy guy who likes to tackle things myself. I've owned a 60 year old rental property for two years. It's an old house chpped into six one b/r units and recently one of the tenants passed away after living in her unit for...

Gurgling Noise from old pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old pipe in the basement that was used as a drain off from a washing machine. When I flush the toilet upstairs I can hear the water gurgling in this old pipe. Why is that and how can I stop it? Thanks, Mike :confused:

View more questions Search