Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InsomniacBannana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 12:48 PM
    John Deer L120 front axle
    We purchased a john deere l120 from home depot in February of 2004... it hasn't been THAT bad of a mower but it has had its problems. Every year I take the time to mow 3.4 acres and I do take pride in my yard and in my mower

So the first cut of the season I was mowing and I was just about to finish up and I went to make a turn and the fron axle totally snapped in half... the left wheel went limp and the whole tractor kind of slammed to the ground. I quickly killed it and was left scratching my head the rest of the day on how I broke a cast iron axle?

I went to the local John Deere dealer and bought the front axle and all the guys behind the counter could say was "it must have been one hell of a wheelie"... but that's beside the point... ive been have a real hard time trying to get the center bolt nut of the axle... it appears that the bolt that goes through the middle of the axle is in a very hard spot to reach

So before I take it to the shop I was wondering if anybody could offer me any advice on how to get that damn nut off before I go insane?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 12, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Can't help with the nut situation but if I where you I would look into a warranty. There have been problems with font axles and sometimes Johne Deere will do a policy adjustment for units out of warranty. Raise heck with Home Depot and They may be able to pull some strings.

Don
    John Deere Green Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 09:19 AM
    How to replace the PTO drive cable spring john deere L120
    John Deere Green Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Need a diagram of the underneath of the john deere L120 for do it yourself repairs for the springs
    prijdekker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2010, 12:57 PM
    I don't know if your mower is still parked out back waiting for you to get the bolt out but I just went through this and was initially stumped too. I removed the shroud from around the muffler and then removed the three screws on top attaching the muffler to the frame. One I had to hack saw off as it ended up spinning in place. The muffler can be moved down, sliding free from the exhaust pipes that enter the muffler from the top. Once the muffler is removed the head of the bolt going through the front axle is easily accessed. Some combination of socket and/or wrench on bolt head and nut will get you there.

I don't know if your mower is still parked out back waiting for you to get the bolt out but I just went through this and was initially stumped too. I removed the shroud from around the muffler and then removed the three screws on top attaching the muffler to the frame. One I had to hack saw off as it ended up spinning in place. The muffler can be moved down, sliding free from the exhaust pipes that enter the muffler from the top. Once the muffler is removed the head of the bolt going through the front axle is easily accessed. Some combination of socket and/or wrench on bolt head and nut will get you there.

weycomp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 05:27 PM
    I have had this problem twice now. What the other people are saying is good advice. The center bolt, I had to use a 19mm open end wrench to get to it. Don't know, but are your front wheels aligned and both go straight when they're supped to? I think this is the root cause of the problem.
    Norm S Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2012, 03:49 PM
    Did you get to it without removing the muffler?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deer LT 155 replacement motor [ 4 Answers ]

I need a replacement 14 hp motor for my LT155 riding mower with the 42 inch "Freedom" Mulching Deck. What is a good replacement and where can I find one for the least cost? Thanks in advance for the help, Bill

John Deer won't stay running [ 1 Answers ]

We have a three year old John Deer rider and won't stay running. It will start with the choke on but dies when you try to move it run. :confused: We have let it warm up and still get the same thing. It's like it's not getting gas. And yes there is gas in the tank.Any thoughts?

Replace John Deere L120 Engine? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having serious smoke problems coming out of the exhaust on my JD L120 riding mower. Constant white smoke that gets worse under load with much knocking and pinging, black smoke at severe loads. I'm considering working on the engine myself as a learning project as I have all the manuals which...

John deer power edger E35 [ 1 Answers ]

How do u adjust the carb on this engin I think the model # is fa130dbs19. Thanks mike

John deer E 35 gas power edger [ 1 Answers ]

I have a John Deer E 35 gas power edger .Tried to start it this morning and the pull rope broke. Put a new rope on it and now it will now rewind when I pull to start it. Thanks Mike

View more questions Search