Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dacchef Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 10:59 AM
    16.5 hp Briggs and Stratton blowing white smoke
    I have a 9 yr old Murray riding mower. The engine started blowing white smoke and looses power when on a incline. Move the mower to level and runs well.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Apr 10, 2007, 02:24 PM
    This sounds familiar, a lot like this other post:https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/lawn-g...oke-33443.html I believe he had head gasket issues.

Morrowrj

Apr 10, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dacchef
    I have a 9 yr old Murray riding mower. The engine started blowing white smoke and looses power when on a incline. Move the mower to level and runs well.
    Thanks, Looks like he had a time with his. I Guess I should start with buying a repair manual

Apr 10, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Engine manuals should be free from Kohler.com. Just enter engine model #.

Good Luck,
    Morrowrj

Apr 10, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Mine is a Briggs and Stratton, checked their websight and they charge. Is kohler built the same?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 10, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Very similar, White smoke is usually fuel oil mix and the fuel is vaporizing, Check the oil level. The oil level is way to high, that is why it only does it on a incline. A head gasket would cause problems all the time and would not cause a white vapor.

Don

Apr 11, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Sorry, meant Briggs. You should be able to download a manual and parts list here:Briggs & Stratton - Engine Owner's Manuals (Wednesday, April 11, 2007 11:29:48 AM)
    I would check the oil for a gas small as newaukumdon suggested first, since it is easiest. Then move on from there.

Morrowrj

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs and Stratton 17 HP bellows white smoke [ 27 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor with a 17 hp OHV Briggs model #311707-0132-E1. I seems to run fine until I start mowing. The added pressure on the engine from the cutting is creating a huge cloud of white smoke. It stops as soon as I stop the blades and put it in neutral. I assume oil is getting...

Lawn-mower blowing black smoke upon cold pull [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Yard Machine push mower purchased new from home depot about 1.5 years ago. I keep it well oiled and it get used about once a week. Lately it's been working at about 75% and upon the first pull, black smoke comes out of the exhaust. I put new oil in a few weeks ago but not sure if that's...

1990 terrano import blowing black smoke [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Hope someone can help me with this problem I just bought an automatic 1990 Nissan Terrano with the 2.7L turbo diesel engine. When I first start it up while it is cold it drives perfect. Absolutely no problems. After the engine temps rise the trouble starts. From a stop I start to go and...

2000 Nissan Maxima blowing smoke [ 4 Answers ]

My 2000 Maxima blows smoke when I start it up! The longer the engine runs the more smoke it will blow when restarted. For example, if I just drive around the block and back, nothing! However if I drive say 10 miles or so, it will blow at restart. This condition will completely exaust the oil...

Briggs & Stratton blows white smoke [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Cub Cadit garden tractor 1500 series with a Briggs & stratton engine When coming off an incline the engine starts bolwing white smoke like it is pulling engine oil into combustion chamber. What causes this?

View more questions Search