Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Apr 10, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Feeding ground flax seeds to my little dog.opinions?
    I rescued a little dog (Pomeranian/Yorkshire Terrier mix) who has unfortunately has "eating disorders", but I have been working with her over the years, to find food that agrees with her - does not cause her digestive problems etc. As she sometimes has a hard stool, I have found that mixing just 1/8 tsp. of freshly ground flax seeds mixed with about 1-2 tbsp. water, does wonders. She is not fond of the taste... But - I would like to know if anyone could tell me if it is okay - is it 100% safe to feed one's dog ground flax seed in their food once or twice a day? Thanks.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2007, 08:15 AM
    There is nothing wrong with ground flax seed. It is quite good for their skin and coats. 1/8 tsp, once a day is enough. As I mentioned in your other posts, hard stools are good when the concern is the anal glands filling up too frequently.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Some corn meal might do about the same thing and tastier to the dog. Most dog chows already contain all the oil dogs' skin and coats need.

Apr 10, 2007, 03:45 PM
    The only reason I give her this is not for her coat and skin as they are perfect, but just for stool that is too hard and seems to cause her discomfort when she is passing it. Thanks for your opinions.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 11, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Ground flax seeds are not only extreamly healthy for you but your dog too. They are nature's natural vitamin and Gondi swears by them, He quoted something like where there are people who eat flax seeds is health or something like that, I add a quarter teaspoon to my cereal every morning. I never thought about giving some to my dog, THANKS
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Are there any studies showing dogs that eat ground flax seed are healthier? Are there even any showing they are safe?
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2007, 12:25 PM
    I do not know of any specific studies regarding dogs labman. There have been studies with humans but I don't have the time to search for them at the moment. I can say that, for myself, flaxseed oil has helped me with dry eye, dry skin, and joint flexibility. Ground flaxseed is a good source of fiber and helps with my diverticulosis. It is a natural substance and I would rather take that than man-made medications.

P.S. I have to add that I do give my dog small amounts of flaxseed oil during the winter months. It helps her with her dry skin and minimizes the flakiness and itching. I tried a lot of other things prior to that. Nothing else helped.

Apr 12, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Thank you all. I will continue, just as long as she is eating her food (I know that she is not crazy about it, but it is so great for her BM)
    ... and as for humans, I know 200% that ground up flaxseed is so incredibly healthy in many ways. I have been taking 2 tbsp. per day (anyone who begins must make sure that they accompany it with liquid). I have suggested it for an acquaintance who unfortunately takes medications that make her constipated (side effect). For years she was taking a commercial product for constipation. I suggested for her to try the crushed flaxseeds. It is now 3 years, she takes it daily, and now her Doctor is very happy - she is off the commercial product, and her BM are perfect! :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Although, I am not sure I want to hear about other people's BM's Violet :p
    I will say that my doctor was the one who recommended the flaxseed oil and the use of flaxseed in my diet. My vet agreed it would be a safe method to try when I was attempting to figure out what to do about my dog's winter dry skin problems.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Dogs need linoleic fatty acid for their skin and coat. Calling it flax seed to hide its paint industry past doesn't increase the linolec acid in linseed oil.

Oil % linoleic
    Corn 54
    Cotton 40
    Linseed 16
    Safflwr 75
    Soybean 51

There are a few dogs that need more oil than is in most dog foods. That could be most easily be accomplished with a little regular liquid cooking oil. If it needs more fiber too, cotton seed meal might be a better choice.
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Always good to know additional info labman. For me, the flaxseed oil seems to have resolved the problem that I couldn't resolve with her regular food that carries the appropriate amounts of nutrients, in addition to the olive or safflower oils that I tried. I did not try the other oils that you mentioned. If they are cheaper, I might just try them next winter. Where might I purchase cotton seed meal as a supplement to her food?
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Nothing is cheaper than off brand cooking oil. Even Mazola doen't cost much. I have no idea where to buy cotton seed meal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flax Oil Advice [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is possible to take too much Flax Oil? I take 8 1,000mg capsules per day, and have never seen anything on whether you can overdose on this stuff, or if too much does damage. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Where can I buy herb seeds? [ 3 Answers ]

Obviously, the medicinal use herbs. I would like to grow my own and do some little experiments. The Chinese stores do not carry seeds.

Bad seeds of mankind. [ 12 Answers ]

Its time we get our act together and start executing children that committee crimes,no child or woman or man should be above the law a child who kills needs to be killed come on my fellow man its time to wake up and destroy the bad seeds of mankind.

Germinating grass seeds [ 1 Answers ]

What is the most effective way to germinate grass seeds? It is for my art project and I've seen it being done with cotton wool but were do I start?

View more questions Search