Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Caressaalisha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2014, 02:55 PM
    Marriage license help!
    Hello, my fiancé is currently at Camp Geiger, we were wanting to get married at the onslow court house on his liberty. I read that both partners must be there for the marriage license. But the register of deeds is only open on week days. He doesn't have liberty until Saturday. Can anyone help? :(
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 20, 2014, 03:04 PM
    Sadly no. Either he'll have to find a way to get there on a weekday to get the marriage license, or you'll have to wait until he can. Both of you do have to be there to get the license.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 20, 2014, 03:34 PM
    He asks for special permission to leave to get married, and hopes it's granted.
    Or you find a Justice of the Peace who will marry you on a Saturday, probably for a higher fee.
    Caressaalisha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2014, 03:37 PM
    We don't care about the cost just want to get married :) I'm going to call tomorrow and see what I can find out. Thanks!
    Pets Expert

Jan 20, 2014, 03:50 PM
    Joy, the problem isn't getting married on a weekend, or the cost. The problem is obtaining a marriage license so that they can get married. A Justice of the Peace can't grant a marriage license, that's something they have to get at the registrars office, and if that's only open on weekdays, they will have to find a way to make it there together in order to get that license.

I looked up Onslow, and found that it's in Australia. Is that where you're situated? Laws do very depending on where you live, so knowing where you live (not your address, just the basics) would help us give more accurate advice.

If you are in Australia, this link may help.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...,d.cGU&cad=rja
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 20, 2014, 03:53 PM
    Um, Alty, Camp Geiger is in Onslow County, North Carolina. It is part of Camp Lejeune.

edited to add: Link to the Onslow County Register of Deeds-Marriage License Requirements
    http://onslowcountync.gov/department....aspx?id=22817

It appears they have extended hours (by appointment) on Tuesday and Thursday. Would that be an option?
    Pets Expert

Jan 20, 2014, 03:58 PM
    Thanks Cat. I'm not in the US, so I simply looked up Onslow, and came up with Australia. That's why I hate it when people don't give us their location when they ask a location based question. Not all of us know the US. It's a worldwide site. If I posted that I live in Sydney, you'd likely think Australia. Well, there is a Sydney in Canada too.
    Pets Expert

Jan 20, 2014, 04:02 PM
    This link might help.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...,d.cGU&cad=rja

Looks like it may be an option to bring a sworn and notarized affidavit from the other member of the party, prior to the issuance of the license.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 20, 2014, 04:31 PM
    Oh my old brain is slipping. Forgot when I got married...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage license [ 4 Answers ]

If a person gets married at the court house and gets a marriage license is there more that they need to do after that.I was married in Florida and got a marriage license and it expired after 60 days.Was there any other step I needed to take?and if I didn't take it am I technically divorced?

Marriage license? [ 5 Answers ]

So. When we get our marriage licsense at the court house... will like a preacher be there to like make it official. Or will we have to go else where?

Cost of marriage license? [ 2 Answers ]

How much does it cost to get married at a courthouse?

Marriage License! [ 6 Answers ]

OK I am 17 and engaged. I turn 18 in 3 months and was wanting to get married the day after I turn 18. Is it possible for me to get my marriage license that fast or do I have to wait so many days for that do be able to happen?

View more questions Search