Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fixius_ae Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Jul 25, 2005, 06:54 PM
    My Dog Just Quit Eating and Drinking
    I have an 11 month old pit bull male that I got a few weeks ago from a friend who couldn't keep him. He has been drinking and eating just fine until Sunday(7/24) when I was informed that he has not been eating or drinking the past few days. He isn't living with me at the moment but is over at a relatives house. My brother said that he isn't eating or drinking and is just lying around. I am going to call the vet tomorrow but I sort of want answers now... Can anyone help me? :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2005, 08:09 PM
    A sudden change in behavior often means a physical problem. He seemed to do OK going from your friend's care to yours, and I would think he would be OK going to your relative's care. Is he a chewer? If so, he may have shredded something and then swallowed a piece he can't pass. Some dogs are much worse about that than others. Usually the vet can fix the problem.

There are several diseases that can cause problems too. Most of them the vet can take care of too. I wish I could be more specific, but the vet may have a hard time sorting it out even seeing the dog and examining him. The vet may need your help as far as what the dog may have eaten and exposure to other dogs.

I hope he will be OK.
    LoveMyBooBooGirl Posts: 44, Reputation: -1

Jul 31, 2005, 04:48 PM
    Not drinking-not good
    It is not uncommon for animals to go 2-3 days without eating, for a number of reasons. But not drinking is a problem. He needs to be monitored closely, in case they just don't see him drinking but he is. If not he needs to see a vet right away. Good luck!
    bxgalnsc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 09:02 AM
    My vet says dogs can go a couple of weeks without eating but the must dribnk water every day.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2008, 10:08 AM
    If you are still concerned, I would suggest carrying the dog to the vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flux & Drinking Water [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering how soon after having our house repiped we can drink the water? We were told to flush the lines "really well" to get the flux and solder junk flushed out. What does that mean? 2 days, a week? Please can someone tell me? Thank you!

I think my dog has a drinking problem... [ 3 Answers ]

Our Basset Hound puppy won't stop drinking water when he has it available to him. It doesn't matter how much he's had, he just keeps drinking until it's gone, and his belly swells up like a watermelon until he pees it all out. How do we get him to stop? Thanks for the help. -B

Drinking and driving [ 6 Answers ]

My 19 year old daugheter got drunk and drove herself home. We have taken the car away except when using for work. What is a reasonable time to keep her from driving?

8 week old puppy not eating but drinking [ 1 Answers ]

I just brought home an 8 week old Scottish Terrier puppy from a very loving breeder. I'm not sure if he's just too young or what's going on. He ate the first night I brought him home and now he hasn't eaten in the past two days. He drinks plenty of water and is piddling but short of force...

View more questions Search