Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hermann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Heat Pump Thermostat settings
    I have had a Heat Pump for a few years now, but I am not happy because it runs a long time ramping up to the day time temp. Am using more power by using a set back thermostat? Should I set it to a closer temp between day and night? I set it at 67 in the day and 62 at night. If it is about 34 outside it takes about 3 or more hours to come up to temp. I have the unit serviced every fall and it is always in great shape.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Set it at a temperature you can live with and leave it there. Heat pumps were not designed to be used with set back controls. Long recovery times and the kicking in of the expensive to run resistance heat during recovery is why I make that statement.
    Bronwyn01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2013, 05:29 AM
    My heat pump feels like it is blowing cold air, the outside temp is about 0 *F, and the settings are Fan on Auto, and on the heat setting, the Aux heat has kicked in but the air does not seem to warm up. Other than something wrong with the Aux unit, is there a problem with my settings on the thermostat.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2013, 06:49 PM
    At 0* F outside, you are better off simply switching to emergency heat. Your heat pump is virtually worthless at that temperature. You are using way more electricity than you are getting heat. Why would anyone install a heat pump where temperatures drop that low? Once you get below about 40*, heat pumps aren't much good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Heat pump thermostat Aux. Light is going on when no resistance heat used. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maple Chase SaverStat thermostat on a Lenox heat pump. The thermostat and heat pump are ten years old. Recently when the heat pump comes on the Aux. light on the thermostat also goes on (not the emergency heat light). I have checked and the auxiliary heat strips and they are not heating...

Settings on heat pump while away [ 1 Answers ]

We have just purchased a second home on the coast, and in the winter plan to be there about 3-4 days out of each 2-3 weeks. We do have family living nearby who can turn system (heat pump) off/on and adjust the thermostat for very cold weather, but have been advised by a few to keep temperature...

Heat Pump Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Heat Pump by Unitary Products, Model F2FP036N06B with a White-Rodgers thermostat, Type No. 1F89-11. The 5 amp fuse controlling the thermostat has blown three times in the last 24 hours. After replacing the fuse, everything seems to work normally for a few hours before it blows another...

Thermostat settings and heat [ 3 Answers ]

It seems like my heat pump blows nothing but cool air out of the vents. It is below 10 degrees out right now. I have an them. Het setting on the thermostat but when I switch to that setting the air from the vents feels cool or just not very warm. It also seems as if my furnace never shuts off. ...

View more questions Search