Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FixHondas Posts: 70, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Bryant 383KAV code 14 - flamesout x4
    Hello,

I have a Bryant gas furnace 383KAV that is 7 years old. Currently the burners come on and then go off after a few seconds. After this happens 4x the furnace delays for 3hours. I thought the flame sensor might be dirty - but I cleaned it some and nothing came off. That didn't help. Filter is OK. I checked voltage at flame sensor. It is ~10.8 volts cold and when burners come on it jumps around sometimes reaching 18 volts but it is not steady. Occasionally the burners will stay on and it operates normally, but the problem is rather consistent today.

Do I need a new flame sensor?
    Is this just a thermistor to ground? Or is it a thermoswitch?

Thanks for your help.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 6, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Since you are playing the guessing game I would replace the ignitor first. If that does not work call for service because the rest of the parts are very expensive to guess at replacing.
    FixHondas Posts: 70, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FixHondas
    Hello,

I have a Bryant gas furnace 383KAV that is 7 years old. Currently the burners come on and then go off after a few seconds. After this happens 4x the furnace delays for 3hours. I thought the flame sensor might be dirty - but I cleaned it some and nothing came off. That didn't help. Filter is ok. I checked voltage at flame sensor. It is ~10.8 volts cold and when burners come on it jumps around sometimes reaching 18 volts but it is not steady. Occasionally the burners will stay on and it operates normally, but the problem is rather consistent today.

Do I need a new flame sensor?
    Is this just a thermistor to ground? Or is it a thermoswitch?

Thanks for your help.
    I removed the flame sensor and used sandpaper on it. After reinstalling it, the furnace is working properly again.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 7, 2007, 12:57 AM
    When it stoops working again replace the sensor.
    stikittotheman2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2011, 02:50 PM
    If the problem persists then try this:

The "Cross-overs" (Slots on the end of the burners) are clogged with dust or residue. So, remove the burners and clean them out. Be careful not to break the ignitor, you may just want to take it out before doing this. I had five burners in my furnace. The burners are the silver tubes where the flame comes out. I just flushed mine out with water and then dried them. Now, my burners light on the first try every time. This is easy to do and will most likely fix your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant furnace problem [ 20 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a 5 y/o 80% eff bryant furnace. The problem I have is that my furnace Doesn't always kick on even when thew thermostat shows the temp under the Temp set. I will sometimes have to go down and turn of the blower switch on the furnace wait a couple seconds and then turn it on again....

Bryant Furnace Burner Going On and Off [ 1 Answers ]

Bryant Gas Furnace P/N 394DAC03100 about 30 yrs old. Pilot light stays light and burner going on and off after checking valve problem seems to be some type limit switch when I move the wiring by shaking a little it ignites. Having a problem finding which wires are loosely connected..? If anyone...

Bryant Blower Motor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Bryant furnace that is 13 yrs. Old. I would like to take the blower motor out and replace it with a new model. Is there a correct way to remove the blower without tearing the whole furnace apart?

Bryant Burner [ 3 Answers ]

I have a valve on a Bryant Burner for an old gas furnace. There seems to be a problem with the gas valve that feeds the burner. Are 40 year old valves available? Thank you. Dennis

New Bryant A/C compessor will not run [ 1 Answers ]

I have a newly installed Bryant 2 1/2 ton compressor unit that was installed in August 2005. When I turned on the A/C the unit would not start. I checked the disconnect near the compressor and found it to be faulty and replaced it with a new one and there is still no start up. I pulled the panel to...

View more questions Search