Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tooprecious2184 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Color oops.does it work?
    Ok, I have light brown hair and I dyed it dark brown. It looks almost black and I want to go back to my light brown hair and put blonde highlights in it. I bought something called color oops but I want to know if it's still going to work on my hair even though I've been dying my hair this color for almost a year now? Please help!! I want to get rid of this dark hair!!
    hotmama10705 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 08:41 PM
    I had the same situation that you do. Dark hair that I've been coloring dark for a few years. I bought some color oops and put it on my hair tonight. Like you, I only wanted to go back to my natural light brown shade. Well, that is not what happened. My hair is now a brassy orange shade from the root to about 3 inches down, then a nasty mix of orange and brown from there down to the ends of my hair. Don't use it!! It doesn't do what the box says it does. Spare your hair, I wish I had. Looks like tomorrow will be a hat day... good luck.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Apr 6, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Hair color removal products will make your hair orange or brassy. If you want to remove the permanent dark hair dye from your hair and go lighter, you will need to lighten your with bleach and then apply a the desired color. I recommend that you go to the salon and get them to do a corrective color.
    glittergirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2007, 09:15 PM
    I actually used Color Oops tonight with great success. When trying to color my hair a medium brown, it turned almost black. I was skeptical and afraid, but it worked like a charm for me. My hair often will turn orange when coloring it or applying highlights, so I was sure I'd get that brassy look. I guess I was lucky though, because my hair looks better than ever. My husband has made me say (about 50 times) that I will always have my hair colored professionally from now on. And I should add that I'm no expert, so really can't recommend this product. But it did work for me... this time.
    melissa1308 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 02:23 PM
    I had the same thing happen to me. I had dark brown hair and I dyed it black (Never EVER do that by the way) and I just used color opps and it made it a pretty kind of auburn color. Its not my natural color but It definitely looks better then the black. The bottom does have some black still left in it but I have A lot of hair. I have long thick curly hair so I probably should have done it twice. But I would recommend it. Good luck :)
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2009, 08:43 PM

Color Oops, Color Zap, ColorFix are *color removers*. That doesn't mean that they will return your hair to a nice color. They remove ARTIFICIAL pigment from the hair. You can't dye the artificial pigment lighter, but you can remove it and then lighten the natural pigment that is left.

When you dyed your hair the first time, the natural pigment was lightened. This is true even if you dyed your hair black. The color you're seeing (orange, or auburn) is the remaining natural pigment. You have to RE-DYE the hair to the desired color!
    angelll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 04:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa1308 View Post
    I had the exact same thing happen to me. I had dark brown hair and i dyed it black (Never EVER do that by the way) and i just used color opps and it made it a pretty kind of auburn color. Its not my natural color but It definatly looks better then the black. The bottom does have some black still left in it but i have ALOT of hair. I have long thick curly hair so i probably should have done it twice. But I would recomend it. Good luck :)
    Kind of same thing with me. A lot of black is gone. But I want to get more out so should I use the 2nd box tomorrow? It worked great the first time but still scared might turn orange.. or fall out or go back to black.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelll View Post
    Kinda same thing with me. alot of black is gone. but i want to get more out so should i go ahead and use the 2nd box tomorrow? it worked great the first time but still scared might turn orange.. or fall out or go back to black.
    Color Oops isn't intended to lighten hair -- it simply "undevelops" (i.e. dissolves) the artificial pigment. If all of the black is out, and you want it lighter, you'll probably have to bleach and then tone.
    amakel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 09:38 PM
    We have the same problem, it's incredible. I naturally have a light brown color with blonde highlights. 2 years ago I was getting a little bored with my in between color. So I dyed my hair blonde. It turned out okay, but it was kind of orangey blonde. It didn't exactly compliment my skin tone. So after about 2 monthes I dyed it brown. It turned out almost black. I loved it though. So I've been dying it that color for about a year now. My hair fades pretty quickly, but I just let it get light then dye it back again. Recently I've been kind of bored with this look and wanted to go light. Well, for some stupid reason I dyed my hair dark again.

Now I'm just sickened looking at it. I'm soooooooooo scared about using the "Color Oops" product. I work at a hotel EVERY day, so if it turns out bad I can't even hide away. If it turns out orange, can I use a semi-permanent color on my hair right after "Color Oops"?

Any kind of advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Nyxish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2010, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amakel View Post
    we have the exact same problem, it's incredible. i naturally have a light brown color with blonde highlights. 2 years ago I was getting a little bored with my in between color. so i dyed my hair blonde. it turned out okay, but it was kind of orangey blonde. it didn't exactly compliment my skin tone. so after about 2 monthes i dyed it brown. it turned out almost black. i loved it though. so i've been dying it that color for about a year now. my hair fades pretty quickly, but i just let it get light then dye it back again. recently i've been kind of bored with this look and wanted to go light. well, for some stupid reason i dyed my hair dark again.

now i'm just sickened looking at it. i'm soooooooooo scared about using the "Color Oops" product. i work at a hotel EVERY day, so if it turns out bad i can't even hide away. if it turns out orange, can i use a semi-permanent color on my hair right after "Color Oops"?

Any kind of advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Like others have said, expect it to not turn out so pretty and if it does, great :p. I just used Color Oops last night on my really thick, long, wavy hair to see if I could get rid of my 7 month old very black hair color. I was supposed to use two bottles, but I tried to see if I could stretch one. I regret it, but I did see a change. My hair is less black, but I definitely would have gotten better results with two because of the amount of hair I have. It's a really dark, reddish brown now with a black strands mixed in (because I didn't use enough).

On the box it says that you are able to use hair color after using Color Oops. It advises that you check your hair condition first. It also recommends to get a shade or two lighter of that color you want because your hair is more porous so it would grab a lot and be darker than you intend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will a color zap work if I have already bleached my hair somewhat? [ 1 Answers ]

So, I dyed my hair black now almost six months later I want to dye it a light brown... I already bleached it once to take some of the color out. It is now a reddish color I left it in for a half hour only cause I was scared it would damage my hair too much or lighten it too much I didn't want...

Lawn mower oops [ 1 Answers ]

My neighbor borrowed my murray self propelled 5.5 mower. She ran over something in her yard and so to remove it she turned it upside down and unraveled what ever it was. After that it wouldn't start. Being a woman I have never worked on a lawn mower. But I did replace the pleated filter(there...

Oops [ 1 Answers ]

I always use the same box color "natural blonde" but today the top has some red while the ends turned gray. What should I do even a ponytail looks funny? Would a toner work or should I just bleach it with another color. My tried and turn color after 5 years has failed me. HELP

OOps! What can I do now? [ 3 Answers ]

I hope that I am not in too much trouble. I failed to file my IL state taxes last year. I have filed every year and last year,, well, I never sent it out. I found it about 6 months ago. . I had a refund due of 68.00. Now this year I owe state taxes. I had little taken out from state during the...

Oops where have I gone [ 1 Answers ]

I seemed to cleverly get rid off my folder in Docs and Settings. I wanted to check out a file in locals but was not showing so I went to the attributes and ticked hidden. The properties of the folder was changing in numbers then when I went back to the Docs & Settings... magic. Now I don't want...

View more questions Search