Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scprosportsman Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2006, 09:31 PM
    Gas Pack heating quit working
    Well everything was working fine. At christmas I got a new thermostat that you can program to turn on and off according to when your home. I wired it up and its been working for the last month. Today it just quit working. The blower and everything else won't even turn on. I put it on auto and tried to have it set to permanently on and nothing. I checked and nothing no circuit breakers or anything were off. I can't figure it out. I hope the entire unit didn't just go. I can't afford it :( Please give me some advice as to what I can do to check for the problem? Thanks in advance.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2006, 09:43 PM
    Could be the 24 volt transformer inside the furnace or a fuse protecting it. If it is not putting out power, the thermostat won't light up unless it is on batteries and there won't be any power to work any of the relays for the blower or gas valve. Find the transformer in the furnace and see if it have 120 v to it and is putting out 24 volts. Even if it is, there could be a fuse blown on the control board.
    scprosportsman Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2006, 04:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Could be the 24 volt transformer inside the furnace or a fuse protecting it. If it is not putting out power, the thermostat won't light up unless it is on batteries and there won't be any power to work any of the relays for the blower or gas valve. Find the transformer in the furnace and see if it have 120 v to it and is putting out 24 volts. Even if it is, there could be a fuse blown on the control board.

The thermostat uses two AA batteries and I even tried replacing them. That's got power and is showing like everything is working. Its going through all the cycles like it should and everything there is just nothing working when it tried to turn it on I guess. Where would the fuses be located on the unit? Do I have to take a cover or something off to get to it or is it located on the exterior somewhere. Sorry I don't know much about this. Trying to learn. My entire unit for my heat/AC is all one unit outside. Is that still considered a furnace like you said? Its more like a central heat unit if you know what I mean. Sorry, I'm trying to explain the best that I can. Don't know if its much help. If need be ill take pictures for you to see it. Thanks for the help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2006, 07:15 AM
    I don't understand what you meant by gas pack. Do you have a blower unit inside the house, crawl space, or attic? The thermostat wires should run to inside it. Remove the cover you remove to change filters. The wires should be running to a circuit board. Any fuse will be on the board. The transformer should be near it. The transformer will be 3-4'' square and lumpy with 4 wires going to it.
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Jan 26, 2006, 08:56 PM
    He means a gas fired packaged unit
    joebillp Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2013, 08:11 AM
    I have a gas powered package unit. When the thermostat calls for the heat to come on, the unit will not come on until I turn the thermostat off and then back on. Then the unit will heat until the thermostat cuts it off, and again I have to turn off the thermostat and then turn it back on before the heat will come on.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2013, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joebillp View Post
    I have a gas powered package unit. When the thermostat calls for the heat to come on, the unit will not come on until I turn the thermostat off and then back on. Then the unit will heat until the thermostat cuts it off, and again I have to turn off the thermostat and then turn it back on before the heat will come on.
    Please see this thread:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ml#post3576241

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does it take to get Six Pack Abs? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 15, 5'9 and 160 pounds... I work out everyday and no matter what I do you can never see my abs... when I feel my stomach or look at it in the mirror while I have an empty stomach I can feel my six pack... I work it out so hard I get so mad that people barely try and can have a six pack that...

What to pack for the hospital [ 7 Answers ]

I just thought I might ask if I have remembered everything to take to the hospital. I made a list and if anyone can add to it I would love the help. Ok so here it goes... copy and paste... Going home outfit for me Shampoo/conditioner Toothbrush/toothpaste Hair brush Hair ties/clippies Bar...

Remote quit working [ 1 Answers ]

I have two ceiling fans and two remotes that work either fan.Both remotes quit working at the same time.Batteries are good.Any suggestions?

Air/Heating Unit (Electric) Suddenly stopped working [ 5 Answers ]

Hello In July we replaced the motor and the relay switch on the unit outside the house. The unit had been running fine. Sept. 14 it was a little muggy in the house so I turned the thermostat down to 72 to kick the air on. Nothing happened all I heard was a "click" which would normally start the...

No Auto Fan on Carrier Gas-Pack [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier gas-pack Heating/Airconditioning system (about 12 years old). A few weeks ago I noticed the heating cycle was not working. I ran some checks to determine the cause and discovered that the main circulation fan was never coming on when the fan was set to the "Auto" position. The gas...

View more questions Search