Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsaylor Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2005, 08:51 PM
    Black Particles in water
    Help! I've discovered black particles in my water when I fill up a sink or bathtub. I contacted the water company and they believe the stuff is coming from within my house plumbing or water heater. The particles smear in the bottom of a tub or sink when touched. When they come out of the faucet a poof of black appears in the water as in flows out. The water has a grayish appearance as it apparently disintegrates as they come out.

I flushed the hot water heater and tons of particles and sediment came out. (We had never flushed in 10 or so years.) I still get new black pieces after flushing the hot water heater clear.

I think, pretty sure, it happens in just cold as well as hot water. However we have the kind of single dial faucet. So I can't be sure that hot water is not in the mix even just a little.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! ;)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 26, 2005, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rsaylor
    Help! I've discovered black particles in my water when I fill up a sink or bathtub. I contacted the water company and they believe the stuff is coming from within my house plumbing or water heater. The particles smear in the bottom of a tub or sink when touched. When they come out of the faucet a poof of black appears in the water as in flows out. The water has a grayish appearance as it apparently disintegrates as they come out.

I flushed the hot water heater and tons of particles and sediment came out. (We had never flushed in 10 or so years.) I still get new black pieces after flushing the hot water heater clear.

I think, pretty sure, it happens in just cold as well as hot water. However we have the kind of single dial faucet. So I can't be sure that hot water is not in the mix even just a little.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! ;)

Would you be on a pump or city water?

Jul 26, 2005, 11:02 AM
    Black particles

City water. In fact the water company is here installling a filter at the street.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 26, 2005, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rsaylor

City water. In fact the water company is here installling a filter at the street.
    I have a suggestion that may tend to narrow things down. The supply hoses to your washer have screens on them. Since you're going to have to track the source down , let's start with the hot or cold lines. Which hose screen has the most black particles? Hot or cold? Get back to me and we'll take it from there. Tom PS. My bet's on the hot water side.

Jul 26, 2005, 11:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    I have a suggestion that may tend to narrow things down. The supply hoses to your washer have screens on them. Since you're going to have to track the source down , let's start with the hot or cold lines. Which hose screen has the most black particles? Hot or cold? Get back to me and we'll take it from there. Tom PS. My bet's on the hot water side.
    Thanks Speedball1! We checked the screens, but it turns out there is only a screen on the hot water line, and the screen is fairly coarse. Since the particles tend to dissolve under pressure, I don't think the screen would trap them. There was nothing noticeable there.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 27, 2005, 06:56 AM
    QUOTE=rsaylor]Thanks Speedball1! We checked the screens, but it turns out there is only a screen on the hot water line, and the screen is fairly coarse. Since the particles tend to dissolve under pressure, I don't think the screen would trap them. There was nothing noticeable there.[/QUOTE]

OK, but you still have to isolate the source. You're going to have to be my eyes. Tie a old white sock on the end of a outside hose bib and open the valve and let the water run for a few minutes. Do the same thing to the drain on the heater. My guess is that there will be more black particles from the hot water heater. If that's so then a further guess would be a anode rod that's breaking down. Anode rods interact with the minerals in the water to remove them and are located under the large hex nut on top of the heater. To see what one looks like click on, http://www.waterheaterparts.net/cgi-...&search=action
    Let me know what you find. Tom
    wot90s Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2010, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Speedball, my sister has same problem, happens when they are gone for couple weeks, then the faucet spews out the black stuff.
    We live in Orange Park, fl.. wonder if your other customers would give there city?
    Us, we hardly go off for that lone of time, but once a couple years ago we did and we had a small amount. Since then nothing.
    They did cutoff the water and let the city water line run for like a week, still gives out the black goo, after they came back home.
    Also, with the black stuff, if you put in between your fingers and rub it, it disappears. But, not on the water pitcher, nor will it disappear if we boil the water.
    gefact Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2010, 01:20 PM
    BLACK SPOTS RESOLVED!!
    Hi Gang,
    I had the same problem and found the answer on another thread. The problem was in the braided lines connecting the hot water heater to the water line. The inside is black rubber and when they get old the insides peel away and release into the water system. I just replaced my hoses and cut one of the old ones opened and the black oily stuff was inside and came off in my finger.

Hope this helps!
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2010, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the update gefact.
    Who would have thought! Makes you wonder about ALL braided supplies. Regards, Tom,
    jock453 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 05:28 PM
    I have the same problem with discolored, black water from every faucet in my house. We have well water but never experienced this problem until we installed an energy efficient water heater last year. We changed the anode rod, bought another water heaters, to no luck. Still comes out grayish then settles black and leaves black stains. Most of the time there is an odor as well. Any suggestion or thought as to what this is will be greatly appreciated!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 05:38 PM

Hi Jock

Hot water only or hot and cold are involved? Let me know...

Mark
    joejaeger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2012, 07:43 PM
    I live on a acreage and have a well. I have iron filter and water softner and my water has always been clean and clear. Just lately the washer and faucets have black dirty water coming out. What is this from?
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2012, 06:24 AM
    Hi Joe and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 1 year old dead thread Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date before you post, Thanks,
    I have black dirty water coming out.
    It Sounds like your well may be silting up. This happens when the water table falls and the well begins to fill up with soil. This is different from the "black particle" complaint. Have your well tested. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Black Skin? [ 4 Answers ]

Well I'm a girl, and I have brown skin, (african!) and I was just wondering if any others have tried tanning their skin to get a one golden colour all over, does any other black girls or men know if this works, or if ANY ONE DOES regardless of colour could help answer this would be helpful. I also...

Black water/sewage in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a septic system which was cleaned out and inspected about a month ago, and the pipe from the house to the septic was snaked. Tonight, black sludge and water backed up into my basement from the drain pipe in the basement whenever I did a load of wash. Is there any remedy I can use on my own?

Black Lab Very Dry Skin [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old black lab puppy with very dry skin. Puppy dandruff shampoo does not seem to help. Any suggestions?

Jack black [ 2 Answers ]

I have an assignment for my english class where we are supposed to write a celebrity and try to get their autograph or a letter. And I really really would like jack black or adam sandler's. does anyone know a mailing address that i could write either of these actors/ their publicist's to?

View more questions Search