Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peaches16kt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2013, 03:26 PM
    Is it abandonment if my sons father has never been in his life?
    My sons father has never been in his life and never so much as bought a diaper whip for him. He has now moved out of state and ORS cannot find him. I want to change my sons last name to my last name. I also want to make sure his biological father is unable to take him from me legally. What do I need to do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2013, 05:30 PM
    Yes, its abandonment but its not something you can prosecute for. You can't force a father to be a father.

What you need to do, is go to court and request a legal name change and full legal and physical custody. You will have to show you have tried to serve him with notice of the court action. But if he doesn't not respond, it should be granted.

You can't ensure that he can never show up and try to get custody. But it will be difficult for a court to approve anything more than supervised visitation if he shows up out of the blue. Courts allow for someone changing. If he shows up, he will be given the chance to show he has changed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My sons father is a loser and I don't want him in our life. [ 43 Answers ]

I understand that I'm going to get some very nasty responses but I'm looking for someone who has been in this situation and can give me advice. I have a soon to be 4 yr old son. I'm in a 10 yr marriage and about 4 yrs ago my husband and I both stepped out together with different people. I ended...

Child abandonment ?Fathers Day back in June of 2009 my sons father and my new boyfrie [ 2 Answers ]

Fathers Day back in June of 2009 my sons father and my new boyfriend got into a texting argument about the fact that my sons father didn't want or have the time to spend with our son on Fathers Day - That led to my sons father freaking out and trying to go after my boyfriend when he came to drop...

Wanting to change sons last name father not on birth cert and not in sons life [ 10 Answers ]

I need help my son is almost 3 and his father will not sign the birth cert and will not pay child support and will not give up his rights I am a single mother who has kept myself off welfare because they will go after him and. I am not wanting anything from him, I am just wanting to take his last...

Sons father is destroying my life and loving it. [ 5 Answers ]

I have been lied about and harassed by my sons father ever since the day he had been born. I recently went through a tragic thing with my ex and my current boyfriend. It was a attempted murder suicide. This guy has created a web site and page degrading and causing more problems for me. He speaks as...

Custody of my son, Father is present in sons life [ 16 Answers ]

Ok me and baby's father are not and have never been married, we both live in NC. He is present in my child's life but has a drug addiction. He keeps my son several nights a week but here lately me and my sons father have been arguing a lot. He has threatened to take my son away and not give him...

View more questions Search