Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsJoseph06 Posts: 189, Reputation: 22

Apr 4, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Pit Bull Ban
    I have a question regarding the Ban's on pit bulls in the US! Is there a list of citys and states that have a ban on Pit Bulls? I have a pit bull mix and she is my best friend and the best dog I have ever had! Were looking at moving some time in the near future and I will not live in a place where my dog is not welcome! If anyone has any idea as to how to find this information please let me know! Thanks:)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Mrsjoseph, the only places that I am aware of are Denver, Co, and Miami-Dade County, FL. So far, most places have not had success in banning them. I will doublecheck my references and make sure I haven't left out any other places. Is there a city or area that you are thinking of moving to? I can give you a clear yes or no answer on that.

Apr 4, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Well we were looking at Colorado because there is a gun smithing school there that my husband was interested in. Also Florida the ponta gorda area and possible Tenesee and Arkansas! I know the Colorado bans I tried to E-mail the city officials and yet no response from them! Thank you for your help! It's just hard to know that some government official can just take your dog away I have read some of the storys out of Colorado and it makes me want to cry!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 12:54 PM
    No actually there are 100' of places tha have rules.

For example our little city of Sparta here in TN, you have to have your dog registered, insured, and can not ever have it off a lease, tie, or in a secure pen.

There are cities like this all over the US and more being added every day.

And I know everyone here is pro dog, but also we need to understand it is because of a higher than normal injuries caused by these animals.
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 12:55 PM
    I actually found some others but my computer froze up on me and I lost everything. I have to see if I can retrieve the list I found. I remember Cincinnati, OH, Eastern Washington State, some area in Missouri, but not sure. I will have to find it and get back to you. Right now, Tennesse and Arkansas are okay but I will do research for you and get back.

P.S. I just saw your post Fr Chuck. Yes I think you are right. The biggest problem any of us have is moving to an area in which there is not a ban, and then in a few years, suddenly a ban is put into effect. A bit problematic.

Apr 4, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    And I know everyone here is pro dog, but also we need to understand it is because of a higher than normal injuries caused by these animals.
    You also have to remember that any dog can bite you! And if you start Banning breeds of dogs where does it stop? There is always going to be some kind of dog that is mis-treated and turned mean! Just because all the gang bangers like pit bulls and rotwilers and turn .them into mean dogs doesn't make them all bad! Like all the dog sites say Punish the deed not the bread!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2007, 01:10 PM
    I would like to see some numbers on how many dog bites before and after the bans. My guess is that at most it would produce a temporary dip until the dolts find another breed to misuse.
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Here is the listing I found:

Punish the Deed, not the Breed!

By the way, MrsJ, you may want to look over the entire site. They have some great info and their motto is what you stated: PUNISH THE DEED, NOT THE BREED.

labman, the bans haven't been in place that long but from what I have been reading, they have not had much of an effect. Let's face it, the owners who fight them don't follow the laws. And irresponsible owners come with all breeds attached to them. The biggest problem we have is with irresponsible pet owners who don't train their pets properly and with the media which has placed the Pit Bull as the flavor of the month, as I have stated in a previous post. We need laws in place for all dogs that are followed by ALL owners. Banning is not a solution to this PEOPLE problem.

Apr 4, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Thank you Ruby!
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 01:33 PM
    You are quite welcome MrsJ! I hope where ever you decide to move, you and your pit will be able to enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Apr 4, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Isent that what its all about! Thanks!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    labman, the bans haven't been in place that long but from what I have been reading, they have not had much of an effect. Let's face it, the owners who fight them don't follow the laws. And irresponsible owners come with all breeds attached to them. The biggest problem we have is with irresponsible pet owners who don't train their pets properly and with the media which has placed the Pit Bull as the flavor of the month, as I have stated in a previous post. We need laws in place for all dogs that are followed by ALL owners. Banning is not a solution to this PEOPLE problem.
    You know, it's always seemed to me that it would be a lot better to make people who are planning on having one of these breeds take some sort of specialized training to get a licence for them. The responsible owners might grumble a bit, but would do it, and might even learn some tips that made them better owners. Some people might decide the breed's not for them, before they get a dog. And the irresponsible people wouldn't bother to get the licence, which means that it would be easier to get dogs away from people who are most likely going to mistreat them.

The difficulty, of course, would be designing the authorized course, and finding and paying for good trainers to teach it.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2007, 05:07 AM
    Froggy, frankly, if I ruled the world (LOL), I would extend that thought to ALL pets, AND children.

Unfortunately, it is an inherently flawed concept because enforcement would be so incredibly difficult. There already are laws in place that bans fighting of the breed and look how well that is going. Yes, they have stopped some, but in the end, there is always someone else willing to step into the shoes of those who are now in jail. And, when the individuals gets out of jail, they go right back to doing it. With certain individuals, if there is a will, there is a way.

I do have a lot more to say, as I am sure you do, but it wouldn't be fair to get so far off topic here. If you are in the mood, froggy my friend, why don't you set up a topic discussion in Other Society & Cultures or Issues & Causes. Both forums can be found under the Society & Culture heading. PM me and let me know. We will be free to extend our discussion into any direction we choose. I will gladly join you. I greatly enjoy a good friendly discussion/debate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ban of pit bull dogs [ 82 Answers ]

----------------- Bulletin Message ----------------- "Rep. Wesselhoft said the proposed bill will also include provisions designed to bring about an eventual ban of pit bull dogs in the state. The grandfather clause contained in the bill would allow for the continuing existence of pit bulls...

Pit bull has worms [ 2 Answers ]

My dog (pitt bull)has worms that are shaped kind of like a tooth, and he won't gain any weight, it looks like I am starving him. What kind are these worms and how do I get rid of them??

7 year old pit bull [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My name is Brad and I'm new here. I have a question about my 7 year old pitbull. He is in heat because we have a 9 month old girl who just started her period. My question is. What do I do if my dog will not eat while in heat? I know the vet is the best thing to do but I just had spine...

Recently got a 4 year old pit bull [ 6 Answers ]

Three days ago I went and picked up a 4 year old pit bull and the pit bull weighs 90 pounds real health she is also fixed can't have pups my only concern is that she is not ate nothing but a hotdog so far and its been 3 days she is drinking water as she needs it the temp outside has been fairly hot...

New Pit Bull won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I just rescued a beautiful Brindle Pit Bull. He is about 2 yrs old. I brought him home last night, he didn't eat then I thought because he was new to our family. He had been mistreated. Today he fits in like he has been here for years, playing with the kids wagging his tail and having a ball....

View more questions Search