Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Sep 10, 2013, 01:06 PM
    Iowa gives concealed carry permits to blind people, seriously
    First heard it on "The Colbert Report" so I thought it was a joke at first but it's actually true. Just when you think gun laws can't get any more stupid. Iowa is another addition to my list of places I won't be visiting.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2013, 01:21 PM
    Giving them to Democrats who preach against Second amendment rights is even worse.

And incidentally... not all legally blind people are completely sightless.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2013, 01:22 PM
    It sounds ridiculous, but not necessarily.

The quandary centers squarely on public safety. Advocates for the disabled and Iowa law enforcement officers disagree over whether it's a good idea for visually disabled Iowans to have weapons.

On one side: People such as Cedar County Sheriff Warren Wethington, who demonstrated for The Des Moines Register how blind people can be taught to shoot guns. And Jane Hudson, executive director of Disability Rights Iowa, who says blocking visually impaired people from the right to obtain weapon permits would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act. That federal law generally prohibits different treatment based on disabilities

On the other side: People such as Dubuque County Sheriff Don Vrotsos, who said he wouldn't issue a permit to someone who is blind. And Patrick Clancy, superintendent of the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School, who says guns may be a rare exception to his philosophy that blind people can participate fully in life.

Private gun ownership — even hunting — by visually impaired Iowans is nothing new. But the practice of visually impaired residents legally carrying firearms in public became widely possible thanks to gun permit changes that took effect in Iowa in 2011
    I'm quite sure blind people can learn to handle a gun though I don't necessarily want to be around when they do. But hey, you can't discriminate unless you're the IRS.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 01:25 PM
    And if they didn't allow the blind to have a permit, you would be crying discrimination, right?

I don't necessarily agree but you can't discriminate because they're blind. That would not be politically correct.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    And if they didn't allow the blind to have a permit, you would be crying discrimination, right?

I don't necessarily agree but you can't discriminate because they're blind. That would not be politically correct.
    Heck, my friend with Down's syndrome got a FOID card and an AK-47, so why not the blind?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2013, 02:05 PM
    I see an easy out on any jail sentence. "Honestly l didn't know it was my wife. I swear I was aiming at an intruder."
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2013, 02:16 PM
    Could be worse... you could be a 107 year old blown away by a SWAT team. I say give the blind dude a chance.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    could be worse ....you could be a 107 year old blown away by a SWAT team. I say give the blind dude a chance.
    Only if he's on my side in the shootout and not pointing his weapon at me.

Sep 10, 2013, 03:29 PM
    The Americans with Disabilities act says that people can't be treated differently because of disabilities but you can't let the law overrule common sense and public safety. What if someone with no arms wanted to buy a gun and try to shoot with his feet?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2013, 04:07 PM
    You mean some laws lack common sense ? I'm shocked !
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2013, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    you mean some laws lack common sense ? I'm shocked !
    LMAO I've seen people get away with crying discrimination for jobs they clearly couldn't do
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2013, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    The Americans with Disabilities act says that people can't be treated differently because of disabilities but you can't let the law overrule common sense and public safety. What if someone with no arms wanted to buy a gun and try to shoot with his feet?
    Hey... Obama is allowed to be president... with his mental handicaps.

Sep 10, 2013, 05:06 PM
    There wouldn't be many people in Congress if people with mental handicaps were excluded.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 06:12 PM
    I did not read prior posts, anyone who says a blind person can not shoot, has never been shooting with any. I have been to the range and out on bird huts with a few.

To be honest, they were better shots than many people who can see. Their ability to hear and know that direction is amazing. At outdoor shoots, they will shoot at a cow bell. In doors they use a bell also.

For the birds, they can hear the bird flying in the air.

As to other noice, when they get very good, they can tell the difference between two people, walking, and know who is who, just by the sounds of their steps

I would trust most of the blind people with a gun above some of the fools I have known that can see
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2013, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    There wouldn't be many people in Congress if people with mental handicaps were excluded.
    I can't disagree with that.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I would trust most of the blind people with a gun above some of the fools I have known that can see
    I haven't been around anyone that is blind that shoots but I think I would have to agree. I have seen plenty of idiots that shouldn't be holding a gun who have perfect eyesight.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2013, 11:02 AM
    Why should people as vulnerable as a blind persons are, be denied the right to defend themselves? Maybe Colbert can kick that one around for a while. Thugs prey on the most vulnerable they can find and they have to get close in to do their thuggery anyhow-- and a blind guy putting one or two rounds close up into the bad guy's head, heart, lung, testicles, etc doesn't bother me a bit. Poetic justice.
    As far as wild shots hitting innocent bystanders, it happens just about every day in America and it sure ain't the blind causing it.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 01:32 PM
    I guess no one told them they couldn't play baseball either??

The National Beep Baseball Association - Home Page

Watch How Blind People Are Able To Play Baseball, Or "beepball". - Funny Videos at Videobash

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Handgun suggestion for concealed carry [ 48 Answers ]

I currently carry (concealed in an inside the waistband holster) a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380. I'm thinking of "moving up" to a 9mm. Can anyone suggest a good (and small) 9mm that I can carry in an inside the waistband holster? I'll be using it at the firing range fairly frequently, so I...

In india, do homeless people carry ID with them? [ 5 Answers ]

(1) in india, do homeless people carry ID with them? (2) can you go outside, and ask some homeless people... do they have ID.. (3) can you ask women specifically..

Another victory for concealed carry gun toters [ 14 Answers ]

Starting today, the previous ban, in my state, against guns being taken into bars, carry-outs, etc. has been lifted. More news here: http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&btnmeta_news_search=1&q=ohio+concealed+carry Just to clarify, though: In my state if you are carrying a...

Holster (concealed carry) for my Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 [ 8 Answers ]

I carry the S&W Bodyguard 380 in a "concealed carry" holster that is made by De Santis. It's getting pretty stretched out. It's the type that clips to my pants where the gun itself is on the inside. I'd like to find some suppliers of "concealed carry" holsters that are designed specifically...

Color blind people [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what color blind people see when they look at a white person vs. a black person. Do they see the same colors in skin tone as a non-color blind person?

View more questions Search