Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hermoine12 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2013, 09:18 PM
    Periods late by 20 days. HPT negative. Could I still be pregnant?
    Hey guys sooo my AF has been delayed by 20 days and I took a HPT last night which came out to be negative. I have a 30 days cycle so I waited for three weeks before I took the HPT. Are there any chances of me being pregnant. I have been having severe nausea and puked for the first time today. Am a little stressed because the periods are delayed. When should I go to the doc and get a blood test? Or should I wait it out for another month and see?

Please advice!!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2013, 09:27 PM
    Testing at night is not a good time to test, many false negatives happen when people don't test at the correct time. The right time to test is with the first urine of the morning.

I would test again with first morning urine. If that test is negative, wait and see what happens with your next period. If you miss it, then it's time to see a doctor about a blood test.

Good luck.

Aug 7, 2013, 09:32 PM
    All right! Thanks! Was told by a friend that the HPT would be positive whichever time I test so did it last night because I was way too anxious! But thanks again! Will perhaps do one once I finish the 30 day mark if I don't get my AF.
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2013, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hermoine12 View Post
    Alright! Thanks! was told by a friend that the HPT would be positive whichever time i test so did it last night coz i was way too anxious! But thanks again! Will perhaps do one once i finish the 30 day mark if i don't get my AF.
    Your friend is very wrong. First morning urine is the most concentrated. In early pregnancy the hcg hormone isn't as high as it is later in pregnancy. The more concentrated the urine, the more of the hormone that detects pregnancy. At night is the worst time, and will often lead to a false negative.

Aug 7, 2013, 09:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Your friend is very wrong. First morning urine is the most concentrated. In early pregnancy the hcg hormone isn't as high as it is later in pregnancy. The more concentrated the urine, the more of the hormone that detects pregnancy. At night is the worst time, and will often lead to a false negative.
    Ah! Ok! Well we have been trying since three months now and I hope am pregnant. But I also know that I should not get too disappointed if its my silly body playing tricks on me! :/
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2013, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hermoine12 View Post
    Ah! Ok! Well we have been trying since three months now and i hope am preg. But i also know that i should not get too disappointed if its my silly body playing tricks on me! :/
    It's never an easy time. You want to get excited, but you don't want to be let down if it's not true. I remember that time well.

Sending baby dust your way. Let me know how it turns out. :)

Aug 7, 2013, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    It's never an easy time. You want to get excited, but you don't want to be let down if it's not true. I remember that time well.

Sending baby dust your way. Let me know how it turns out. :)
    Thanks a lot and you will definitely post here when I find out more! :)

Cheers!

Aug 8, 2013, 05:44 AM
    So another doubt: Do I wait till I miss my next period (if I do!) to get a blood test or can I get one before that? Should I go to my OB/GYN after I miss my next period or before?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 8, 2013, 05:54 AM
    Your doc will most likely want you to wait it out another month. It is not uncommon for a woman to miss a month, or even two, at least once in their lifetime without being pregnant.

Until then, treat yourself as if you are pregnant. Eat healthy, get plenty of rest and avoid drugs, alcohol and tobacco.

Aug 11, 2013, 11:49 PM
    I went to the doc and she did the HPT which was negative again. She asked me to wait till end of month for the periods and advised me to take a med to induce my periods if they don't turn up by then! She does not think am pregnant... :( What do I do? :(
    Expert

Aug 12, 2013, 12:38 AM
    What do you do? You follow your doctor's advice. That's what you do. ;)

Aug 12, 2013, 11:06 PM
    Sooo my AF came after a crazy long time today! It's bitter sweet right now to be honest. Relieved that it was just delayed but sort of sad that am not pregnant. But well I guess I got to try harder! But AF isn't so heavy as it usually is. It's v light. Bt what the heck it came! So am happy. Thanks guys for being there and answering my questions! *hugs*
    Expert

Aug 12, 2013, 11:13 PM
    Thanks for filling me in! Glad it all worked out for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15 days late negative hpt [ 4 Answers ]

I am 15 days late for my period. My last period was on January 30th. I have take several hpt tests. The 2 most recent were Clear Blue and they were negative. I feel nasous and headachey and crampy on and off but no period. Could I be pregnant? I have heard of people not registering on hpt test...

3 days late, negative hpt [ 3 Answers ]

My period is usually very regular. Every 28 days. My breasts usually swell and become sore 2-3 days before I actually start. Also I usually cramp the day before I start. I'm now 3 days late for my period. I had none of my usual period signals. My breasts are now swollen but not really tender. I...

6 days late Negative HPT [ 0 Answers ]

I am six days late and have taken three hpt 1 just before (result invalid) and the other two yesterday afternoon which came back negative. .

10 days late negative hpt [ 2 Answers ]

Yes I was wondering if anyone can helpme! I am 10 days late for my period and took 3 hpt and they all came up negative. My periods are rather normal.. can I still be pregnant and needablood test to confirm it? :confused:

Periods 14 days late and HPT negative. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm 25 years old. My periods were due on 18th of this month. I had unsafe sex on 8th. Did HPT after 10 days till was negative. Again did it on 14th day still negative. I don't have any symptoms of pregrancy like swolen break, tiredness or any other. My periods were regaular for the past years....

View more questions Search