Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duckjb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Remove the globe from a flush mount ceiling light
    There is a domed shaped globe with a metal ring at it's base. There is no center thumb screw and no ring screws. I have tried to turn it but it moves a fraction of an inch in both directions and no more. I have slid a putty knife between it and the ceiling but I can't pull it down. Everything I do seems like it will break it. How do I get it off to change the bulb?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 28, 2008, 07:09 PM
    A picture is the only way we will be able to help you here.

Oct 28, 2008, 07:24 PM

A pic paints a thousand words
    Attached Images

Oct 28, 2008, 08:07 PM
    That globe will turn about 1/8 turn CCW to remove. It may be a pain as you have experienced.

Oct 28, 2008, 08:42 PM

That did it. Thank you:)
    Eileenkah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 07:26 PM
    I have this same light and unfortunately I broke the dome after successfully removing it.. it slipped and landed on the floor.. yikes.. many pieces later.. Where might I find a replacement for this fixture? Suggestions? I just need to globe/dome.. I believe it is 13. inches.
    Thanks!
    bigandlilbob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 08:09 AM
    Boy I wish I had found this before I tore the whole damn thing out of the ceiling - you are completely right by the way :)
    cheers65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2012, 10:15 PM
    I was able to take it off , but am not able to put it back on.. need help
    victorjc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2013, 06:25 AM
    I can't believe it! I googled "removing a flush mounted dome light" and found this posting. I have the same fixture and can't get it off. It is loose and moves both ways and won't come off. I tried everything! Now it looks like I damaged the connection because the bulbs that were working don't light anymore. Any suggestions before I take a hammer to break the globe?

Aug 4, 2013, 07:07 AM
    Probably the whole fixture moves. You need to hold the fixture base, tap the glass around the edge, then try and turn the glass CCW to get it off.

Or just use a hammer.
    bentchase Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2013, 03:30 PM
    After trying 6 or 7 other websites and answers I came to this one. Thanks. No screws, clips or anything else. Just unscrew the glass while holding the base, as stated above. Dishwashing gloves provided the grip. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I change the light /remove the globe in hampton bay fan windward II model? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello I have a Hampton Bay - pretty sure it is model #55295 (comes with remote forward/reverse) - the light just went out and I can't figure out how to get the globe off to change the light bulb. I swear we had a professor, an IT guy and another idiot (that's me) who should have collectively been...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Light globe replacement [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 52" Hampton Bay Ceiling fan with a light kit. While cleaning the globe, it fell and broke. The globe had a hole at the bottom large enough to allow three pull chains through. I have not been able to find a replacement globe anywhere.:confused: Can any one help locate this globe?...

Cannot remove globe from ceiling fan Hampton Bay [ 3 Answers ]

I saw the previous posts, but we still cannot figure out how to get the glass globe off our ceiling fan. We have tried slowly turning globe, but do not detect anything lining up to pull off the globe. Will it pull down? Is there another piece holding it up? Is it a twist and turn? The actual...

Flush Mount Ceiling Fan [ 2 Answers ]

We are building a house with 9 foot ceilings in some bedrooms. Does anyone have any suggestions for flushmount ceiling fans? I would assume we would need to stay around a foot total, including lamp kit, from ceiling to botton of unit. Any suggestions are appreciated.

How do I flush mount my Harbor Breeze fan? [ 2 Answers ]

The box indicates that my 52" ceiling fan "New Orleans" can be flush mounted. But the previous owner of the house didn't leave the directions in the boxk, so I'm having a problem figureing it out. Without the directions, I can't tell if I'm missing a piece, or what. At any rate, I'm wondering if...

View more questions Search