Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jabba1960 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2013, 08:38 PM
    Limited common area
    When owning a condo how is limited common area paid for in N.J.
    a. by square foot %
    b. divided equally by number of units
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 18, 2013, 02:05 AM
    'Paid for?' HOA fees, taxes, purchase?

I have seen condo common areas added in to condo square footage and all sorts of 'creative' arrangements all designed to the advantage of the development and management company. As far as I know, there are no state laws defining how common areas must be calculated. It's definitely caveat emptor. So you will run into different methods, even within the same place. Lawns and parking lots might be by units, while interior spaces might be by proportional size of each condo.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2013, 03:11 AM
    I doubt if there are any laws about this. But it should be spelled out in the HOA by-laws.

Jul 18, 2013, 09:16 AM
    Joy
    We are being told its by square footage but the doc's have my parking spot listed on a spread sheet with my air conditioner ,washer/dryer under limited common area some units have 2 spots and have less square footage
    So these units only want to go by square footage the doc's are vague
    On this matter
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2013, 09:29 AM
    You can challenge the calculations of sq footage. Get a copy of the unit layouts with dimensions.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 18, 2013, 12:42 PM
    It would make sense that common areas that aren't common at all (your parking space, your washer/dryer space, etc) would be by square feet.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are mistakes. Get a copy of all common areas and all charges for everyone, and go over them carefully, and then consult a lawyer if management is reluctant to address the differences.

Jul 19, 2013, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    It would make sense that common areas that aren't common at all (your parking space, your washer/dryer space, etc) would be by square feet.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are mistakes. Get a copy of all common areas and all charges for everyone, and go over them carefully, and then consult a lawyer if management is reluctant to address the differences.
    Thank you for the help

Jul 19, 2013, 06:59 AM
    [QUOTE=ScottGem;3509558]I doubt if there are any laws about this. But it should be spelled out in the HOA by-laws.[/QUOTE
    Thanks for the help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Property Taxes on Condo Limited Common Elements in NJ [ 6 Answers ]

We recently had a reassessment and the tax assessor added extra amenities - garage parking spaces and hallway storage rooms to the total assessed value. These amenities are defined as Limited Common Elements in the Master Deed. A resident who has an amenity over and above the minimum required,...

How to bid for common area cleaning contract in VA [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am new to doing a bids on a contracts for an apartment common area cleaning. This property has about 19 buildings on the complex all buildings are 3 floors with laundry in each, so laundry area will need to be cleaned also, I need a help on biding with stripping and waxing and no stripping and...

Limited condominium common elements [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a condominium complex consisting of 64 units. 34 of these units are housed in a 3 story building. Currently over 80% of monies being spent are spent on the upkeep of the interior of this building. Only the residents of the units in this building have access to the building and there is...

Common area condominium plumbing [ 13 Answers ]

I own a condominium and pay monthly association. Last year there was a plumbing problem and according to the HOA it was in the plumbing between my unit and the unit below. The assoication did have a plumbing contractor come out - they cut a whole in my closet wall and air handler, leaving the walls...

? About injury on common area? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in the state of ny. I broke by foot when I tripped over an edging of the road onto the grass of my front yard. 1.) was on association easment or common area 2) had previouse broken foot in the same area (propensity to break) Is it possible to sue association ins co. my ins. Co or...

View more questions Search