Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ellaberry Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 05:36 PM
    How do I cook imitation crabmeat?
    Hi, I bought some imitation crabmeat last night ("Captain's Choice" flaked stye from Safeway) and now that I've looked closer it doesn't say anywhere that it is cooked already. And there is a warning on the package to always fully cook raw fish and meat. So does this mean my imitation crabmeat is raw? I tried cooking a bit of it in a frying pan with butter (as I would cook a piece of fish or heat some pre-cooked prawns) but it all separated into thin sheets and looked very unappealing.
    So how do I cook it?
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 1, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Usually it is already cooked? Is it a solid white color? If it is it probably is cooked. You can always ask the butcher, (or call) I usually just eat it straight out of the package, with some melted butter.

Apr 1, 2007, 05:44 PM
    You, it's a solid white colour with red ontop. It sure looks yummier before I cook it up! Maybe the warning on the package is just stuck onto all meat and fish products? Hmmm. If I eat this and it isn't cooked (though in all likelihood it is?) then will I just get sick or will something really bad happen? Haha. Oh god. I can't believe I just wrote that. I just wish it would say on the package either Raw or Cooked. But it says neither!! (and I don't have a phone to call Safeway on and the website has nothing, nor an hour of internet searching.. )
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Yep, the kind I buy at Walmarts is precooked so if you want it wamed up a bit a few seconds is all it needs. I add it to salads generally so it tastes great that way. Also have nuked it with some spread for a minute and it was great, also.

Apr 1, 2007, 06:11 PM
    So you mean it's never ever ever ever sold raw? There is absolutely no chance of it being raw and making me really sick?
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 06:18 PM
    I'm not going to say that, I'd read the package, really good first, and if nothing is stated ask the seafood person at your store.

Apr 1, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Haha yes, OK I will have to ask at the store. I'm just hungry and was insanely hoping someone could confirm that it would for sure be cooked. But of course there is no way for anyone to know. Ahh I will just have to eat a cucumber sandwich :)

Apr 1, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Just eat it, take a chance live life. And if you get sick sue Safeway.
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Just checked a few sites, and wikipedia, and all three sites say that's its basically Alaska Pollock, (cod, whiting) and it's cooked to give its final texture.

Apr 1, 2007, 06:35 PM
    OK sweet. Thank you. It's just that it's my first time even looking at it, so I'm sure you can understand that I don't even know what it's supposed to look like! But still, I will wait until my boyfriend gets home before I eat it, just in case. Xox

Apr 1, 2007, 06:39 PM
    I love it. I think I would rather eat it than real crab. It is allot easier, and you get allot more meat.
    davoid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 08:59 AM
    I just bought the same thing 'captains choice immitation crabmeat flake style from safeway last night' and after I ate half the meat straight out of the package I noticed the warning label! So I'll let you know if I die tomorrow from food poisoning... it's so good I'm still eating it as I type... am I willingly participating in natural selection?. tuna in tomorrow and see whether I had to go to the emergency room! -d
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Yep it is already process and cooked, that's how it all come together, in the shape and texture that you see, just add to salads or mix with other foods, it can be heated, but only for a few minutes, tops. It's ready to go!

Dec 20, 2007, 07:38 PM
    I woke up alive today, so I guess the fish is okay to eat uncooked, or recooked... I also made my wife try some so we could be buried together if things went bad, but she also survived the night, so eat up... -d
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 10:07 PM
    It's good stuff.. and there's a lot of I lot of ways to make it even better, just keep trying different recipes, it's so good you'll find one you love! Need recipes I have a lot!

Dec 21, 2007, 02:13 AM
    I've never tried it other than straight up cold, or in California rolls,. I'd love to hear some suggestions for other uses... -d

Ps . Seafood people: they have 2 for one bags of frozen prawns right now which I will soon be gorging on...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to cook a ham? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to cook a whole ham? How much water? Lid on or off? How do you know for how long and what temp? This is my first ham!

Now This Is Funny... the Chili Cook Off... haha [ 2 Answers ]

If you can read this whole story without laughing then there's no hope > for you. I was crying by the end. Note: Please take time to read this > slowly. If you pay attention to the first two judges, the reaction of > the third judge is even better. For those of you who have lived in >...

View more questions Search