Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ehenry47 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2013, 08:45 AM
    Ungrateful Daughter
    I'm a 47 year old mother whose daughter is so ungrateful ,I work hard and put my daughter through college single -handly ,she graduated after 4 years and is now a registered nurse making her own money ,very good money , I'm in debt because I made sure she had what she needed to succeed in school, I've even put a down payment on a new car for her to go back and forward to work ,she hasn't paid me back for that yet ,which was suppose to be a loan,I don't ask her for anything ,just that she paid whom she owes,but to no avail.
    My daughter has this nasty attitude ,I can't even ask her anything without a negative response,I have an 18 hear old son getting ready to go to college ,he is so the opposite of her ,he doesn't ask for anything ,and is happy for whatever I give him ,he will do whatever you ask him to do ,he tries to be close to his sister ,but she won't even spend time with him,or offer to help with college financially or otherwise.no matter how hard I try to make things better between us she takes an attitude,on her off days she just sit around not talking to anyone in the house, but the minute her friends call or when she's around other people she is totally a different person.I want to have a relationship with my daughter but she just won't change.I went today and told her if she's that unhappy living here she should move out.because I'm really tired ,and I feel like all my hard work to help her has been in vane.What can I do.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2013, 08:49 AM
    How long ago did you put the down payment on the car? Is she making the payments? Did you co sign? Stick to her moving out. Tell her something like she has 3 months to move or else start paying you back.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2013, 10:01 AM
    If the nasty attitude is a recent change in her behavior, you always have to consider drugs and or alcohol, no matter how unlikely you think that might be. If she makes a good salary, what is she spending it on? Sorry, to bring it up but I ignored those kinds of possibilities in my work life and personal experiences. It happened too many times and caught me by surprise. Unexpected, unexplained behavior and attitudes I guessed at the causes, trying to get employees back on track, only to find out that my efforts were totally wasted when the real reasons revealed themselves. I never suspected substance abuse but I learned too late that in this day and age, it is one of the first possibilities to be ruled out.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 08:23 AM
    I'd give her her walking papers with a deadline. Sometimes tough love is all that's left.

I also would stop comparing her to her brother.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ungrateful teenage daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 18 year old daughter this is very disrespectful and ungrateful. She thinks that when she ask for something either a drive, clothes etc that it should be granted. She has 3 younger brothers all in competitive hockey and she also played up until this year competeive ringette so...

Ungrateful Teenagers... please, please help. [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, so long story short. My ex wife and I recently separated (again). Our relationship has been off and on for the past several years (yes, I realize how bad that was). This time when we separated, my ex filed a whole bunch of false charges (Domestic Violence) and fortunately, the court saw...

I have an ungrateful, mean son [ 21 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm a solo mum, have a post graduate degree and did it all on my own, just so my son and I could have a better life. I gave my son my all, supported him in all his sports, gave him everything a kid could have and now he's 14. I find that he's unappreciative, always want, want, want and...

College age daughter is disrespectful and ungrateful. [ 13 Answers ]

(I accidentally posted this in the "teen" section so I'm re-posting here. Sorry - new to this whole thing... ) HELP. I've been a single mom for almost 10 years and I have single-handedly raised my almost 19-year-old daughter. She is in college now, living in an off-campus apartment, majoring...

View more questions Search